Heo Safe Locks 2011 Transit based Hymer Van

murphy99

Hi New member needs help please.!

Want to buy 2 cab locks for above. Heo Safe locks sound ideal but have read that they not compatible with Remis blinds that we have. Has anyone any knowledge on this issue please.? Quite happy to invest in the Heo Safe but not if they won't fit with Remis blinds.!!

My 2010 Transit has deadlocks fitted - I'm not sure what advantage fitting Heosafe locks to a 'van fitted with deadlocks would have.

There has, however, been some debate about the fitting or not of deadlocks to ALL Transit conversions - some converters appear not to order the base with them (though I believe they are standard fit on all UK commercial Transits (as opposed to M/C base vehicles)).

Up until now, slightly earlier Hymers seem to be in the "not fitted" category, but as yours is this year's model, it may be worth a check, and also a look-up on the Ford Etis site with your VIN number to check the vehicle's build details.

Thanks for your quick reply Robinhood. Our Transit has Central locking to cab doors and Fiamma to Habitation and Garage doors. Thought additional security to cab doors belt and braces.! Not quite sure what you mean by Deadlocks.? Are they lockable from inside and outside and if so what make and do you have to drill bodywork please.?

Deadlocking is a Ford enhancement to the standard locking such that the door cannot be opened (even from inside) without either the key or the remote.

Without deadlocks (or "double locking" as Ford sometimes term it), the interior handle/unlock button will always open the door, meaning that the window can be broken, and the door unlocked by putting your hand in.

With deadlocks, the interior handles are disabled on "double locking", hence the door cannot be opened from inside, even if the window is broken. Much the same basic function as fitting Heosafe locks (though obviously these also provide a separate lock as well).

The "double locking" is enabled by pressing the lock button on a standard Ford remote twice, in reasonably quick succession, or by turning the key first fully to "unlock" then "lock", when locking. (You can check the deadlock function by having someone inside and see if the handles/lock button work).

As mentioned, it is also possible to check whether deadlocks are fitted by using the Ford Etis site. If you input your VIN number at http://www.etis.ford.com under the "vehicle" tab (the registration number option doesn't always work) it will pull up the build details of your vehicle. If you expand the "minor options" list at the bottom of the right hand side, it will provide a long list of incorporated build options.

One of them on mine shows up as "With Door Dead Locks". They now appear to be standard on all UK commercial vans. A number of Hymer owners have posted that theirs does not have them, but for older vans than yours. It is worth a check before you purchase anything extra.

(Etis will also show on the same screen whether there are any recalls outstanding on your vehicle).

murphy99 - 2011-03-07 2:27 PM Thanks for your quick reply Robinhood. Our Transit has Central locking to cab doors and Fiamma to Habitation and Garage doors. Thought additional security to cab doors belt and braces.! Not quite sure what you mean by Deadlocks.? Are they lockable from inside and outside and if so what make and do you have to drill bodywork please.?

You need to consult your Ford Transit handbook to see whether your van has them.  If it does, they are fitted by Ford during manufacture, and operate via the remote locking buttons, so no after market fit, and no holes!  The handbook will make all clear.  It's on p19 in my version.

Brian Kirby - 2011-03-07 3:00 PM

You need to consult your Ford Transit handbook to see whether your van has them.  If it does, they are fitted by Ford during manufacture, and operate via the remote locking buttons, so no after market fit, and no holes!  The handbook will make all clear.  It's on p19 in my version.

Brian,

the Ford manual isn't really much use at telling you whether they are fitted to your 'van or not, it simply tells you how to use them if they are. :-S

Like most manufacturers, they've resorted to a single print covering most options, and left it to the owner to decide whether or not the various bits are relevant.

Best determinant is to try the double locking, or look on Etis.

According to ETIS my trannie has "central locking" and "door entry remote control" no mention of deadlocks or double lock etc as such however I am sure that the above info by robinhood is correct.

Just back from playing with new Van which has Deadlocks.!

Many thanks to Roblinhood,Brian, ips, and ollybear.

Will put the saving towards an Alarm.!!

Anyone passing through Tocane Saint Apre near Perigueux call in for a glass of Bordeaux Superior and a slice of Ju's home made Pork Pie.!! Municipal Campsite in Village. New showers / toilets last year.€ 8 and next to River Dronne. 2 mins. walk to Village / Restaurants.

Robinhood - 2011-03-07 3:12 PM [........... Brian, the Ford manual isn't really much use at telling you whether they are fitted to your 'van or not, it simply tells you how to use them if they are. :-S Like most manufacturers, they've resorted to a single print covering most options, and left it to the owner to decide whether or not the various bits are relevant. Best determinant is to try the double locking, or look on Etis.

Bit late now, and my intention was perhaps not quite clear, but the manual tells you how to operate them, if you have them, so if you follow the instructions in the manual for deadlocking, and the van does what the manual says it should, you have them.  That seemed to me a quite quick way to find out.  Wasn't intended to be unhelpful, just a quick, certain, way for Keith to find out.

It is a lovely spot, but how did you know we been to Ireland.? It was back in 2003, best summer ever recorded, sunshine every day no rain.! Went for 2 weeks stayed 2 months, and house in Pulborough sold whist we away so stored furniture, toured Europe with 2 X Black Labs for 6 months before finding our House in Tocane.

Thanks Brian,

Original Handbook in German so a tad difficult for us.! English manual for Hymer just arrived from Germany with invoice for " nil ".!! Very efficient eh. English manual for transit bought on ebay and on route.

Keith

If you can't wait for the English manual, or you want to make sure you have the latest version, it is downloadable from the Belgian Ford Customer Services site at:

http://fordfcsd.wunderman.be/UK/Vehicle%20Manuals/Transit/

(I posted this some time ago for someone else, but the file was at that time "broken". It appears now to be correct and downloadable).

You may find the same site useful for downloading an English version of the audio unit guide, which is also available if you follow the appropriate links. (hit the "back" link a couple of times, and it gives you a page linking to the audio manual downloads)

Glad you sorted out the existence of deadlocks. :-D

Brian Kirby - 2011-03-08 5:34 PM
Robinhood - 2011-03-07 3:12 PM [........... Brian, the Ford manual isn't really much use at telling you whether they are fitted to your 'van or not, it simply tells you how to use them if they are. :-S Like most manufacturers, they've resorted to a single print covering most options, and left it to the owner to decide whether or not the various bits are relevant. Best determinant is to try the double locking, or look on Etis.

Bit late now, and my intention was perhaps not quite clear, but the manual tells you how to operate them, if you have them, so if you follow the instructions in the manual for deadlocking, and the van does what the manual says it should, you have them.  That seemed to me a quite quick way to find out.  Wasn't intended to be unhelpful, just a quick, certain, way for Keith to find out.

....you really must learn to be more exact old chap! ;-)

Archived