nice compact set of pots...

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

we have a motley collection of pots and pans in the van. we need a new set and as we are hopefully downsizing, a compact, good quality stackable set would be nice...any recommendations? preferably with folding or detachable handles please :-D

our lafuma loungers will have to be replaced as well, as a bit big for a panel van.....I have tried these collapsible style camping chairs before but the back support was poor...again, any recommendations as technology may have moved on a bit :-S

I agree with whisturx, Tefal do a range called Ingenio with removeable handles.

They are very popular in France, we got a set that all stacks together with a wok, two saucepans and a frying pan that also acts as the lid, a bit like one of those Russian doll things. The detachable handle works really well and is easy to use.

Doesn't seem to have caught on as well in UK yet but heres a linky...

http://www.tefal.com/All+Products/Cookware/Non+stick+cookware/Products/Ingenio+4/Ingenio+4.htm

Pete

JudgeMental - 2011-03-07 3:27 PM

we have a motley collection of pots and pans in the van. we need a new set and as we are hopefully downsizing, a compact, good quality stackable set would be nice...any recommendations? preferably with folding or detachable handles please :-D

our lafuma loungers will have to be replaced as well, as a bit big for a panel van.....I have tried these collapsible style camping chairs before but the back support was poor...again, any recommendations as technology may have moved on a bit :-S

I have some good news for you your lafuma loungers will fit nicely in the garage at the back of our new motorhome! Also we have some very comfortable camping style chairs to get rid of.

Seriously you do tend to get what you pay for with these chairs and the only answer is to try before you buy. It took us some time to find ones that suited us.

Try like we do taking only one saucepan big enough to chuck any and everything into.

Hi Eddie

Sling chair - only observation is that when I've tried similar things in the past because they are a 'sling' you can't sit up in them properly for eating/at a table etc.

Pans - agree about the Tefal ones, there are loads of them in the French supermarkets, but they are a bit pricey for what they are.

As for the 'camping' sets, they do vary considerably in quality so if you do go for them, get a good quality set, there are lots on ebay to choose from.

Instead of removable handles what about 'stackable'?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tefal-Combino-Piece-Saucepan-Set/dp/B0030DG3P0/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1299520236&sr=8-11

Timetraveller - 2011-03-07 4:28 PM

Amazon have got a set of Campinggaz 8 piece non stick compact pans c/w carry bag all for £26.48. If you purchase these please let us know if they are any good - we might try them then? (lol)

We bought a set of these 3 years ago, when we changed vans (although we got them from Camping and General on Canvey Island). We've been very pleased with them, and still use them regularly. Strongly recommended.

I'm of the opposite opinion regaring Tefal pans - I have several, and find their frying pans to be excellent. One of them which I use in the motorhome has to be at least 10 years old and it is still going strong! I have never dropped them so maybe that's the secret - I also am careful about using the right utensils in them so as not to scratch the non-stick coating.

Finding folding chairs with high backs is a major problem. We spent years trying every suitable looking type we could find. Then two years ago we found Portland by higear. It has a lovely high back, just right for siesta.:-> They were marketed by Gelert (see sales@gelert.com.) They are not suitable for sitting at a table so we also carry two small upright folding chairs. All four (plus walking shoes, trecking poles, vacuum cleaner) fit in the fairly small overcab locker in our Autocruise Vista. Unfortunately they are no longer immediately available. They are not shown on the Gelert web-page and Amazon doesn't know whether they will be available again :-(

However if you haven't found anything suitable it would be worth a phone call to Gelert to see if they know whether any of their present range is as tall as the Portman.

I have found that some plastic spoons can actually 'scratch' the inside of non-stick pans so only use wood or the 'flexible' silicone type now. Also very careful with sponges as, again, some of them can be very abrasive.

Maybe hitting your hubby with them has caused the problem? :D (lol)

many years ago we puchased a set of the lightweight Tefal stacking 'camping' saucepans and these have been in constant use whenever coooking in the motorhome, After probably 20 years they were showing slight signs of use, and in any case with the bigger van (and technically storage ability) we spotted the heavier wieght ones in France last year.

We purchased a set of 3, plus a hi[permatrket branded straner lid, and retianed the smallest of the camping ones. We now have 2 lids and 2 handles, and the whole set is excellend, and takes upvery little space. We also have a Tefal frying pan whcih has the folding handle, and this too is excellent.

We have never seen the sets of saucepans in the UK, and wonder if UK H&S prevents the sale of pans without a handle......!!!!

Just a thought, are you sure you need a full set of saucepans? We (or to be more accurate my wife) manages with a double skillet and one small saucepan. She cooks most days when we are touring.

Of course there are only the two of us – not sure about your situation.

Cattwg :-D

I have had Tefal pans in the past Im afraid I dont like them or any non stick lining pan I think they soon break down and I dont trust them not contaminating food when they start to do that.

I now use stainless steel, I have a stack that consists of a bottom pan and two steamers on top no long handles just loop handles at the sides, they are very reasonable and alongside them I have a frying pan :-D I find that is all I need, I have a couple of deeptrays for use in the oven, all these are very compact in the storage space underneath the oven.

Archived