Overnight stop around Witney/Woodstock

Mad Cow

Hi All,

Have been off line for some time as we are moving and as you may know it always never runs smoothly. We are looking to take a break next week to Brecon and want to set off from Hertford on Friday night after work and get a couple of hours under our belt. Needless to say it will be too late to get on to any kind of organised site and I wondered if anyone knows a good place to park up for the night?

There's a lay-by on the A40 just west of Eynsham: 51.787072,-1.391838

A few miles north of Kidlington on the A4260 there's a lay-by at Sturdys Castle: 51.872189,-1.329564

The Pub at Sturdys Castle will let you stay in the field behind the car park for about £6, you'd need to phone them to let them know you were coming.

Just to the north of Kidlington the pub on the left as you leave the town (Highwayman Hotel) has a CL next to the car park, it's run by my brother in law. Again you'd need to phone to let them know: 51.831032,-1.301017

That's all I can think of in the area at the moment.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the info. The thing is we won't be getting there until about 8-8.30 and wondered if this was too late to turn up anywhere and would it be easy to find in the dark? Are the lay bys set back off the road at all?

Hi Keith,

We are members of the big 2 clubs but as you have to be on by 8pm and we can't guarantee what traffic will be like on a Friday night I think we would be a bit under pressure. I suppose I could look at the late arrivals area.

Thanks

Since you're in the CCC, I recommend the CS at Ducklington, just the other side of the A41 from Witney. We've used it a few times when visiting my parents nearby, and if you give them a ring beforehand they won't mind you arriving late-ish.

Cheap, friendly, and if the CS field is too wet, there's some hard standing a bit nearer the main house.

Mad Cow - 2011-03-08 9:28 PM

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the info. The thing is we won't be getting there until about 8-8.30 and wondered if this was too late to turn up anywhere and would it be easy to find in the dark? Are the lay bys set back off the road at all?

8 to 8.30 isn't too late for either of the pubs. paste the co-ordinates I gave into Google Maps, you'll be able to see the places, use Streetview for a ground level view.

Andy

Archived