Swapping Fiat passenger seat for a bench seat

Geppetto

Hello everyone,

First time on here for me and I have a question.

Might sound a bit mad but has anyone ever taken the passenger seat out and replaced it with the standard bench seat so that three people can sit in the front. There are three of us and we all want to sit in the front when on tour. Is it a case of a straight swap, the passenger seat unbolted and the bench seat bolted back in through the same fixing holes.

My plan is to carefully store the passenger seat and would put it back if I ever sold the van. The bench seat I would buy second hand. There seems to be plenty on ebay. Most are from breakers yards. Can anyone envisage any problems if I did this?

I would've thought it'd be fairly straight forward to swap the seat

(..it may be worth just having a look on ebay because double cab seat tend to be something the self build guys ditch),although you'd need to check how the top mount of the middle seat belt is positioned?

(..is it on the actual seat,minibus fashion, or would it have been bolted to a cab bulkhead?).

Airbags are another thing though..again,you'd need to be sure about any "legalities",MOTwise ... :-S

Yes, I had a good think about that and decided that having to get out of the van when we first pitch up was outweighed by the fun we could have if all three of us sat in the front rather than taking it in turns to sit strapped into the lonely seat in the back. Anyway, we always all tend to tip out of the van when we first pitch up on a site, even if its raining. I don't know why but we just do.

In the pictures that I have seen the middle seat belt is part of the bench seat so it looks fairly straight forward, unless anyone knows any different. As far as airbags are concerned my van does not have a passenger airbag anyway and I wouldn't of thought it was a legal requirement to fit them just because you increased the number of seats in the front.

Its a straight swap, dead easy, with just 4 bolts to remove.

Make sure the belt (middle passenger) is in good condition. Most are because rarely used. So in effect the middle passenger belt is all integral with the seat. When you fit the seat the exsisting belt latches into the buckle in centre. Dead easy! If you take the head rests out to help fit and manouver do be careful as very easy to lose the springs on the head rest catches..hold the plastic clips in place as you withdraw the head rest or wrap a bit of insulating tape around the clips. They should not fall out but some do.

Only problem is there is no room to get into back and you will find it a real pain having to use the habitation door all the time. However on a touring trip it does make a big difference with the three of you up front when driving and only you can decide if a good alteration or not and not anyone else.

I would tell your insurance company though and make sure they are happy. I do not see why not as actually safer than someone in the back.

Jon.

Geppetto - 2011-03-08 4:23 PM

In the pictures that I have seen the middle seat belt is part of the bench seat so it looks fairly straight forward, unless anyone knows any different. As far as airbags are concerned my van does not have a passenger airbag anyway and I wouldn't of thought it was a legal requirement to fit them just because you increased the number of seats in the front.

If you have an airbag it is a large one to cover both passengers or just one so not an issue.

Geppetto - 2011-03-08 4:23 PM

... As far as airbags are concerned my van does not have a passenger airbag anyway and I wouldn't of thought it was a legal requirement to fit them just because you increased the number of seats in the front.

Well,in that case,I'd think it was a pretty straight forward job.. ;-)

..but do some "homework" in sourcing the seat..don't just let the garage doing the job,go straight to Fiat! :-S

If your van is a current model, perhaps it might be worth contacting some of the smaller panel van converters?

They usually remove the bench seat and install a passenger swivel seat so may be able to source a bench seat for you and advise on fitting.

Regards

John

Hello again, just had a look at a 2002 to 2006 seat.

The swap would be simple enough, but there will be no electrical connection for the centre belt pre-tensioner. Not really a problem and no MOT tester will ever notice but you should be aware of it.

The spare ones that may be for sale are 2002-2006 standard blue van issue twin seats with clipboard in back of middle seat.

Nick

Geppetto, we seriously looked at fitting a bench seat for exactly the same reasons as you. Some of our customers at work have Fiat vans giving me the opportunity to investigate the fittings. The owner told me they found the middle seat very hard and uncomfortable. They always have a fight as to who takes the middle seat. He took me for test drive and yes, it was terrible. I always thought the rear seats were rubbish comfort wise in our Swift but they are miles better than the Fiat middle seat. Also as it would be impossible to get matching upholstery we ditched the idea. Rear seat travel comfort is the one thing that would make me change vans - if I could find anything better.

Thanks Alib

That has just prompted some discussion between the three of and is really useful to know. What to do?

On balance, because we do not intend to travel too far away from home in the next coming year or so I think we might proceed anyway. If it is no good we can always swop them back.

Guest JudgeMental

I guess some family's are closer then others! My teenagers are more then happy in the back where they can reach the fridge easily spread out etc.....

but surely at the moment the rear passenger has plenty of room and to lose the ability to walk through from back to front would be a real pain in my book......

If they are feeling a bit lonely just take turns up front :-S

I hear what you say but we are three 50 somethings and our motorhome is a six berth with a pullman dinette up front and a rear lounge. The cab plays no part in the living part of the van. So we thought once on site we just pitch up (which will be just that once when we arrive) and then after that we can, as we usually do, use the habitation door during our stay. The only slight snag I can see is that if its raining when we arrive we will all get wet transferring from the cab to the habitation door. At the moment, if its raining, at least two of us gets wet anyway.

Guest JudgeMental
next time you are out on a journey count the amount of times someone "nips" in the back to get something... A loo visit, trip to the fridge, cupboard for something to eat, to get a book a jumper whatever. You will be losing a very practical and well proven arrangement :-D

Just one more thing to bear in mind is that a lot of 'vans run near the front axle weight limit (see line three on the Vin plate under bonnet). 12 stone = 75kg +extra weight of third seat.

Best to visit a weigbridge and take axle weights when fully loaded and the two front seats occupied before deciding to go ahead.

Archived