Swapping Fiat passenger seat for a bench seat

Geppetto

Guest Peter James
Nicegrover53 - 2011-03-15 12:06 AM

Could I do this with my 2008 FIAT Ducato? I only have 2 travel seats and on the odd occasion it would be handy to have a third seat. It would only work if it was an easy swap though.

Very easy swap if you get the right seat. But I have never seen one in a scrapyard, since the X2/50 has only been out since 2006. All I have seen in breakers yards is disgusting old seats that look very difficult to adapt.

PS: It is still possible for a reasonably agile person to get to and from the back to the front - move the drivers seat forward and tilt the seat back forward, then step between the twin seat and the driver's seat. It's probably more bother than going outside and then back in through the habitation door. But it is an option in foul weather. (providing you have not got the load restraining 'ladder' that may be bolted behind the driver's seat in the commercial van)

PPS: Be aware when you check the seat belt in the bench seat that it will only unwind when the seat is vertical as the reel has a gravity ball inside.

Nicegrover53 - 2011-03-15 12:06 AM

Could I do this with my 2008 FIAT Ducato? I only have 2 travel seats and on the odd occasion it would be handy to have a third seat. It would only work if it was an easy swap though.

If you've only got two travel seats at present(..and assuming your V5 shows that),then I assume you'd need to notify Swansea and your insurance company..just in case.. ;-)

Guest Peter James
pepe63 - 2011-03-16 12:35 PM

If you've only got two travel seats at present(..and assuming your V5 shows that),then I assume you'd need to notify Swansea and your insurance company..just in case.. ;-)

Good point, I hadn't thought of that.

My stealth camper is still registered as a light goods vehicle, just looked at the log book and seen it shows the number of seats - 3 including driver.

So I don't know what I would need to do legally if I fitted a single seat in place of the double passenger seat?

Guest Peter James

Hi,

I have just taken these 2 photos of my seats (2009 Citroen Relay) to show how it is possible to get through from the front to the back by tilting the single seat forward. It is, of course, easier and quicker to get from front to back with a single passenger seat. For that reason I would swap them both for single seats from another X250 in similar (as new) condition so the upholstery matches. I am at Newark on Trent.

Its a very easy swap, just 2 bolts and one electrical connector for each seat (the seat base slides under the rear bolts when the front bolts are removed) The only difference I can see is that when swapping the twin seat into a van with a single seat the centre seat belt pre tensioner may not work because there may be no electrical connection for it. It would just be like an ordinary seat belt. (The seat belt pre tensioner is a device that tightens the seat belt up by about an inch by exploding a charge that drives a piston in a cylinder if the air bag is deployed in an accident)

256089470_X250seats(2).thumb.JPG.6ca5366437098d2c4a42fbebc1b71702.JPG

Thanks for the photos Peter.

It looks like a possability. I would only require the third seat occasionally so am keen to be able to swop the seats over easily, which if it is only 2 bolts can't take to long.

My MH is in storage at the moment so can't have a look myself but I recall a plastic cover over the legs and a slide out drawer which I expect is only held in place by a few screws.

Just need to look out for a double seat now. There's currently one on e-bay for £180 but it looks a bit grubby (but I expect all the second hand ones are)

Guest Peter James
Nicegrover53 - 2011-03-18 11:49 PM

Thanks for the photos Peter.

It looks like a possability. I would only require the third seat occasionally so am keen to be able to swop the seats over easily, which if it is only 2 bolts can't take to long.

My MH is in storage at the moment so can't have a look myself but I recall a plastic cover over the legs and a slide out drawer which I expect is only held in place by a few screws.

Just need to look out for a double seat now. There's currently one on e-bay for £180 but it looks a bit grubby (but I expect all the second hand ones are)

Ah yes, just googled it. It would cost you nothing to swap with me, but then getting from front to back is a pain (the reason I would swap), and there is the question of notifying your insurance and DVLC as it would be listed as a 2 seater. If you wanted to revert back to a single passenger seat at any time this looks like your best bet http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CITROEN-RELAY-DUCATO-BOXER-DOUBLE-PASSENGER-SEAT-07-10-/280550997104?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CommercialVehicleParts_SM&hash=item4152247c70

PS: oops, just seen the second photo where the Citroen Relay one has a hole in the fabric, but there is a Fiat Ducato one at the same price http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FIAT-DUCATO-BOXER-RELAY-DOUBLE-PASSENGER-SEAT-07-10-/280493159203?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CommercialVehicleParts_SM&hash=item414eb1f323

Hi Peter

Just retrieved the MH from storage as off to the Peak District tomorrow and had a look at the seat fittings. I can see the 2 bolts under the front of the seat so assume if I undo those the seat will then slide out?

I would really like to swap the seats back and forward so need to buy my own bench seat (thanks for the offer). I won't be a million miles from Bradford where the e-bay seats are so may pop in and see what there like. My seats are orange so the Fiat ones would look OK. They look a bit grubby though but may scrub up!

Roger

Guest Peter James
Nicegrover53 - 2011-03-21 12:12 AM

Hi Peter

Just retrieved the MH from storage as off to the Peak District tomorrow and had a look at the seat fittings. I can see the 2 bolts under the front of the seat so assume if I undo those the seat will then slide out?

I would really like to swap the seats back and forward so need to buy my own bench seat (thanks for the offer). I won't be a million miles from Bradford where the e-bay seats are so may pop in and see what there like. My seats are orange so the Fiat ones would look OK. They look a bit grubby though but may scrub up!

Roger

No probs Roger, I don't blame you.

Yes, just take out the 2 front bolts, disconnect the electrical connector to the seat belt pre-tensioner, and you should be able to push the seat mounting box back an inch so it slides under the rear bolts, and you then can lift it out. If it wont slide back you will have to loosen the rear bolts (you need a torx spanner for those) All these bolts have the nuts welded underneath so they should stay in place when you undo them. Fitting the twin seat is a just reversal of this process as the base mountings are the same.

(When you disconnect the cable to the seat belt pre tensioner, it will show a airbag warning on the dashboard panel when you turn the ignition key (although the air bag would still work) This is because it detects the seat belt pre tensioner is missing. Your van will be programmed for only one pre tensioner on the passenger side. You may be able to plug this connector into the twin seat so one of the pre tensioners work and it stops the warning. If not you can disable the warning on the dash panel by connecting a resistor in place of the pre tensioner. You need a resistance of about 0.2 Ohms, any rating will do as its a very tiny current, if you haven't got a resistor of similar value an ordinary 12 volt sidelight bulb works just as well.)

Peter, 0.2 ohms seems a bit low. Usually the detonators are around 1 to 3 ohms from my knowledge. A side light bulb would be about 1.2 ohms cold resistance so sort of ties in. If it is a motorised actuator then 0.2 ohms sounds about right but for a gas cartridge type I suspect around 1 to 3 ohms.

Not saying you are wrong, but thought worth mentioning just in case.

Jon

Guest Peter James
Brambles - 2011-03-21 9:46 AM

Peter, 0.2 ohms seems a bit low. Usually the detonators are around 1 to 3 ohms from my knowledge. A side light bulb would be about 1.2 ohms cold resistance so sort of ties in. If it is a motorised actuator then 0.2 ohms sounds about right but for a gas cartridge type I suspect around 1 to 3 ohms.

Not saying you are wrong, but thought worth mentioning just in case.

Jon

Thanks for the clarification. I read 0.2 ohms on another forum, but from what you say it must be about 2 ohms then. I am using the sidelight bulb which works a treat. Before that I tried shorting the leads out, it didn't stop the dashboard warning, but it doesn't seem to have damaged anything. So presumably 0.2 ohms wouldn't do any damage either, but I don't know if it would work.

PS: my meter not very accurate at such a low range. I guess most of us are more likely to have bulbs in our toolbox than resistors. So what sort of wattage 12 volt bulb would have a 2 ohm resistance?

Archived