condensation

kazlepops

Hi All

We're having a bit of trouble with condensation in our van.It is currently in storage at a place with no electrics. We had left the van for a couple of months only to find a bit of mould here and there.Is there anything out there that does'nt require electricity that would help this problem.

We have left a couple of bowls of salt for the time being ,but I'm sure there must be something better for it.

thanks a lot

Kaz

Hi Kazlepops,

There are lots of moisture absorbing crystals on the market in varying shapes and sizes.

Not sure where you are in the world, but camping shops such as Go Outdoors or Towsure will probably have what you are looking for.

The best cure, as you are probably aware, is a mixture of heat and ventilation. I would suggest that you try and halt it as soon as possible otherwise it will be a pain in the butt to clean off later. There are lots of products are available for this job as well, other suggest a mild bleach solution but be careful where fabric is concerned - it will take the colour out if it is too strong.

Good luck,

John & Anne.

You can get moisture crystals in B&Q or Homebase, I find they help, as we have a simalar situation, No elec. We bought the van home for a couple of days and put a small electric oil filled rad on , made a lot of condensation on windows , but the van definatly was a lot drier after wards,. Even the upholstry felt damp before.

PJay

kazlepops - 2011-03-09 12:51 PM Hi All We're having a bit of trouble with condensation in our van.It is currently in storage at a place with no electrics. We had left the van for a couple of months only to find a bit of mould here and there.Is there anything out there that does'nt require electricity that would help this problem. We have left a couple of bowls of salt for the time being ,but I'm sure there must be something better for it. thanks a lot Kaz

This mould may be mildew, and may not be related to condensation.  Condensation should not be a problem with an unused van as, to form, it requires the presence in the van of water vapour, and that usually comes from human activity (cooking, bathing, and just breathing).

Some soft furnishings, curtains, cushions, mattresses, will absorb moisture while the van is in use and, if not tipped up to air and dry off when the van is left unused, the trapped moisture creates the ideal environment for mildew spores to germinate.  The clue is that the mould generally forms under, or behind, such items.

If this is the case, washing, or dry cleaning, as appropriate, should be your first act, as mildew rots fabrics quite quickly.  If this is what it is, when the van is out of use, tip up all the cushions and mattresses, to expose the bases that support them, so that air can circulate freely around everything; ideally, remove the cushions and mattresses to store in your house before putting the van in storage.

However, if the mould is on wall board, especially if it does not associate with furnishings, I would suggest a damp check on the van PDQ, as it may point to water ingress sufficient to make the internal surfaces slightly damp, so promoting mould growth.

Guest pelmetman
Just a thought as Brian said soft furnishings absorb damp, so if you wrap the cushions in polythene tubing to keep the damp out :D

Thankyou all, for your valuable contributions and advice. Will try a few of your suggestions and let you know how I get on.

Hi Brian, I see you're based in East Sussex, would you happen to know where I could get a damp check done near Brighton?

With many thanks and best wishes,

Kaz

Guest peter
pelmetman - 2011-03-09 7:38 PM

Just a thought as Brian said soft furnishings absorb damp, so if you wrap the cushions in polythene tubing to keep the damp out :D

Don't you mean, seal the damp in.

kazlepops - 2011-03-09 8:28 PM ................... Hi Brian, I see you're based in East Sussex, would you happen to know where I could get a damp check done near Brighton? With many thanks and best wishes, Kaz

Nearest is probably Stewart Mouland, 259 South Coast Road, Peacehaven.  Here: http://tinyurl.com/68g5efc  They sell used vans, so I assume have, and can use, a moisture meter!  I have very limited personal experience of them, so can't say one way or another.

Bit further east would be Marquis at Golden Cross, here: http://tinyurl.com/6ark8ne  I have never found them overly helpful, and they frequently seem short staffed.  However, most of my experience is trying to buy odds and sods from the rather unimpressive shop.

Further east again is John's Cross, near Robertsbridge: here http://tinyurl.com/yfjvvsm  I have always found they reliable and helpful - but only for the odds and sods Marquis didn't have!  :-)  Much better range in their shop, and occasional contributors to the forum.

If you go west, the only firm I have had contact with is Premier Motorhomes at Birdham, near Chichester.  Here: http://tinyurl.com/4rhjala  I have been to Premier, and have been impressed by their general attitude, and their impressive workshops.

However, no van servicing, or purchase etc, from any of the above, so can't give any recommendations based on personal experience.  Just based on attitude, installations, and general ambiance, I'd go for John's Cross, or Premier, but both a bit of a hike.

Guest pelmetman
peter - 2011-03-09 10:52 PM

Don't you mean, seal the damp in.

If the van has been used regularly then the cushions should be dry, if the van has been left for a while and allowed to get damp then its not sensible to put them in polythene :D

All 'natural' materials will absorb moisture when the air around them is moist, anything that contains wood or wool as part of its make up will support life when damp, its a natural function of life unless it has been treated with a chemical.

You either keep the van warm and dry or remove the receiving materials.

art

I had boats (sports cruisers) for many years and this was allways a problem over winter for boat owners. I found that ventilation was the best thing, dont try and seal all the gaps to try and keep the interior air warm it just wont work the only way to keep mould / mildew at bay is ventilation. Or if you have elec available then a dehumidifier however on boats it was considered that a dehumi would acctually pull moisture through the hull so not sure what if anything could happen in a MH ?

Guest peter
ips - 2011-03-11 9:11 AM

I had boats (sports cruisers) for many years and this was allways a problem over winter for boat owners. I found that ventilation was the best thing, dont try and seal all the gaps to try and keep the interior air warm it just wont work the only way to keep mould / mildew at bay is ventilation. Or if you have elec available then a dehumidifier however on boats it was considered that a dehumi would acctually pull moisture through the hull so not sure what if anything could happen in a MH ?

Same here, the only time I've had mildew in my boat is when it was fully covered. Now I leave all lockers open, matress turned up. Ideally you want the inside and outside at the same temperature, that way there won't be any differential for condensation to occur.

OK so you've bought some crystals, once they’ve absorbed their fill of water and become saturated, (and they will), your van will then become filled with moisture again.

Imagine moist air as floating water, be assured it will creep through any of the smallest slits it can find. As has been said the only answer is ventilation.

art

Guest peter
Motorhomes aren't sealed units. There is venting in the rooflights and ours has 3 mushroom vents in the roof as well. Best thing at this time of year is to open the door and at least one window, to get a through draught. because the days start to warm up which warms the interior of the van. Then at night it cools rapidly and there is then a differential in temperature, which causes condensation.

Same here, the only time I've had mildew in my boat is when it was fully covered. Now I leave all lockers open, matress turned up. Ideally you want the inside and outside at the same temperature, that way there won't be any differential for condensation to occur.

I allways left a hatch open a bit, left bedding and all upholstery onboard all winter with no heating or dehumidifier and never ever had any mildew. Some peeps had very bad mildew but they seemed to be the ones who locked it all up tight. I agree with the temp outside being the same as inside this seems to be the best explanation for mine and your trouble free boating :-D

Archived