Independent (VW T5) converters - recommendations?

Guest ChrisB

Guest ChrisB

Our second vehicle is an ageing professionally converted Fiat Scudo WAV (wheelchair accessible vehicle) with lowered floor, access ramp, restraints/seatbelts etc. When new it cost almost as much as a motorhome even allowing for zero rated VAT (think of the cost of the base vehicle and double it in general for these labour-intensive conversions).

About 15 years ago (when we were still tugging a caravan) we bought a T4 AutoSleeper Trooper to use as our only vehicle and had it modified for wheelchair access. I am now inclined towards a VW T5 base vehicle as a replacement for the Scudo but no longer need a full conversion so am discounting the major "off the shelf" converters. A partial (day van) conversion with (removable) kitchen/storage units, sliding “rock n roll” bench seat would be fine. Diesel heating, refrigerator, rising roof and one or two other luxury items would be nice, but not essential.

I have identified a number (over 20) of small/medium sized converters in the MMM directory who might be willing to undertake such conversions, but If anyone can recommend someone who works to a high standard this would be a great help in narrowing down this list.

A Midlands-South location would be convenient, but I am prepared to travel further afield if necessary.

Many thanks,

Chris

I don't have any knowledge of this Company, but their website will be useful to give you an indication of costs.

Based in Egham, Surrey.

http://www.wentworthmc.co.uk/index.html

Further away, in Wigan, but have been previous MMM Award winners:-

http://www.nuventure.co.uk/

Also the MMM Mobility supplement October 2010, has a long list of possible convertors.

(send me a PM if you want a copy of the directory)

Guest ChrisB

Flicka and all others thank you for the links to the converters.

A number appear to offer what I am looking for - I will be drawing up a short list then talking to potential converters.

Will update when I have the new T5 in my hands.

Chris

A number of years ago I looked at going down the route of buying a VW van in Ireland, where they were a lot cheaper, and having it converted to my own spec (it had to carry an inflatable boat and outboard motor). I visited a number of converters including Wentworth in London; and Concept Multi-Car and Country Campers in Kent. All were very helpful and gave useful insights into what could be done. Ultimately I got three quotes including one from Concept Multi-Car who I must say were incredibly helpful.

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) the price of having a bespoke conversion didn't quite stack up and I ended up buying a standard, nearly new conversion from Bilbos that could carry the boat and motor. I think it was probably a good move because I suspect the residual value of a standard conversion would be higher and it would be easier to sell although I can't imagine selling my camper.

Since then I've been to Middlesex Motorcaravans in London to have a mains hook-up fitted and they were very helpful too.

Two things I would suggest:

- How far do you want to travel? You ought to meet with the converter to discuss your requirements; then you may need to meet at the start of the project to finalise details; and you will need to collect it. With a bespoke conversion you may also want to go back to the converter if anything needs adjusting or altering. It will certainly be easier of you stay relatively local.

- Is there a standard conversion that would meet your requirements?

There are some converters that build simple conversions and it may end up cheaper in the long run to adapt one of those.

Hope this is useful.

we opted for a named van conversion from Hillside, then asked them to rweak the odd bit here and there

it was obvious from our conversations and mooching around that they were quite happy to adapt as much or as little as the customer wanted

you are paying for this after all,

we also liked some of the fancy bits on the VW California - but god forbid you should ask for even the minutest personalisation - total non-starter

many of the larger firms take a similar approach - and produce a pretty standard model - though not - in my experience - anything like as rigid in their approach as VW

You could try Awaydays UK http://www.awaydaysuk.co.uk/ , Richie Evans of Awaydays converted a T4 for me back in 2002 to my specification.

Since then I have converted both a T4 and a T5 for myself and am now in the process of converting another T5. All of these have been on either new or ex-demonstrator window vans.

I still have the Awaydays conversion and contrary to comments above I have had no problem selling the last two 'self builds'.

Archived