Bike cover

johnsue

Hi

We are currently awaiting delivery of our new e bikes !!

Can anyone recommend a good quality bike cover for the 2 bikes & one that, even though tied down, won't ' flap' around when on our Pro C bike rack ? We have seen the Fiamma ones advertised in Towsure & Brownhills.

*-)

Guest JudgeMental

what bikes did you buy?

i am trying to downsize van so a decent double cover is on my shopping list as well.....

We bought the Kalkhoff Agattu 8 speed & Pro Connect 8 speed.

Thanks for giving us the 50Cycle web site. We trialed them at their Loughborough premises as this is our first experience of purchasing e bikes.

Let us know if you find a good cover, we will do likewise. :-)

Guest JudgeMental
john&sue - 2011-03-10 4:52 PM

We bought the Kalkhoff Agattu 8 speed & Pro Connect 8 speed.

Thanks for giving us the 50Cycle web site. We trialed them at their Loughborough premises as this is our first experience of purchasing e bikes.

Let us know if you find a good cover, we will do likewise. :-)

Top quality bikes you should be very happy with them! :-D

Be careful with covers, as e bikes are a bit longer due to stretched frame because of battery.....

Guest JudgeMental
Hymer C 9. - 2011-03-10 5:57 PM

We have had Tailormade covers for our Electric bikes for the past 6 years although they may have faded a bit over the years, they have never ripped or given us any trouble, they do the job well.

do they have a website? I cant find anything.....

I've had the Fiamma one for 6 years it's well made with built in bungees mine covered 2 mountain bikes & 2 medium child bikes. I always use extra bungees to stop any flapping. Don't forget diagonal stripe warning board for extra overhanging load warning. John B-)

I use a fiamma cover and havent tried this but as has been said that the cycles are a bit longer have a look at a motorcycle cover. Oxford at http://www.mandp.co.uk/ would be worth a look they start around 30 quid and a large one that would cover a motorbike and panniers should easily cover your cycles. Then bungee them around the bikes to stop the flapping. They seem to be of sturdier material than cycle covers.

Hope this helps :-D

Thanks every body.

Besides Fiamma have looked at the Taylormade website & also the M&P, at the moment we are leaning towards the Taylormade who have a dedicated 2 adult cycle cover, very much on the lines of Fiamma, doesn't seem to be alot else out there.

Just whilst we are on the subject, as we have recently purchased 2 rather expensive bikes, anybody got any good suggestions on security locks ( there are so many different ones ) when we are out & about ie supermarkets or just moseying around village / town?

When with the motor home we do have a ' wailer' lead alarm, which was fitted by Vanbitz as part of our alarm system. *-)

I had electric bikes on a towbar mounted Thule rack, because of the weight of the bikes. Not overly impressed with the Fiamma as its more shower proof than waterproof, and in very wet weather the bike saddles were damp. Eventually one handle bar poked through the Fiamma cover ,probably from over tightening the bungee ropes !

Major reason for changing to a van with a garage

Guest JudgeMental

I think the taylor made is looking favorite.....

The best chains are from these people, good for securing in a fixed place at home or at work where it can be left, but to heavy to carry. I intend to get one for our Thule tow bar rack.

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/

Good locks are not cheap mind, and cheap ones are a false economy. get bikes insured as well....

Two different types of locks are recommended, a chain and D lock. as thieves need different tools and this can slow them down.

I use one of these:

http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=6731&cPath=51

and one of these:

http://www.torc-anchors.com/security-chains.php

But your problem is the Fiamma rack, thin aluminium tube - cut through in seconds? and sorry but no one takes any notice of alarms.......and bike thieves have been known just to pull the whole rack and bikes of the back of a motorhome*-)

Personal view.  Relatively pointless attaching cycles to rack with high security locks, as rack more easily removed/cut off than good cycle locks.  Ours was an Omni, not Fiamma, but all aly and fitted to brackets on van with bolts.  Security could be improved a bit by using a more unusual type bolt, but aly easily cut with a junior hacksaw so, IMO, only marginally better.

Covers of some use, but the problem is that gert great hole in the base that goes over the bikes, which on ours (Fiamma) didn't close.  The result was that the cover (both sides!) and the bikes still got plastered in bad weather.  We re-made the cover for a better fit, and reduced the hole in the base to the minimum practical, but the crud still sucked up inside!

Present solution: two folders, in bags, in garage.  They stay clean and dry - but the bagging/unbagging and folding/unfolding bit isn't that much of an improvement on uncovering, unlocking (and then cleaning!  :-(), bikes from the rack.

Guest JudgeMental

and why I would never attach expensive bikes to fiamma/omni rack. My recommendations where for security when out and about.....

with a tow bar rack, the Almax motorbike chain & lock can be passed through tow bar frame and bikes. And at 19mm (to big for cropper jaws) chain is only going to be defeated by a professional with an angle grinder *-)

We have the Fiamma Premier cover which fully encloses the bikes & does a good job of keeping all the muck off, the bottom of it goes completely under the rack only problem we have had is that in heavy rain get puddles of water in the bottom I think it comes in through the zip cured by making 3 small holes in the bottom.

It's not made of the strongest fabric it is now 2½ years old will be lucky to get much more than another year out of it.

Hi All

Thanks for all your contributions.. again.. always interesting.

First of all, as we already have the Fiamma Pro C bike rack, although appreciate, yes is aluminium & can easily be cut through with a hacksaw not sure about simply ' yanking' off as it has been fitted very securely but more appropriate, maximum weight it will carry is 60kg & the 2 new bikes weigh inc batteries 45kg ( will take off batteries when in transit )

Secondly,wailier alarm, yes I agree, if real pro bike stealers or for that matter motor home stealers, it will happen anyway, however the Thatcher strike back alarm system inc accessory lead wailer will at least put off the opportunist and...

Thirdly, will still probably go with Taylormade for cover as sense of opinion from thread could be better quality than Fiamma.

In summary guess you have to go with, to a degree, what you have already got ie Fiamma bike rack but if can get good cycle cover & security lock when away from motor home with bikes that's all you can do to enjoy motor home combined with cycling. *-)

Guest JudgeMental

If you remove the battery from bikes on rack it is virtually worthless...as an E bike without a battery or charger or keys is probably impossible to sell on and not worth the bother to a thief.

also companies like 50 cycles do not supply chargers to anyone? you have to supply the bikes seriel number? I know of at least one stolen bike being recovered this way....

JudgeMental - 2011-03-14 9:29 AM

If you remove the battery from bikes on rack it is virtually worthless...as an E bike without a battery or charger or keys is probably impossible to sell on and not worth the bother to a thief.

also companies like 50 cycles do not supply chargers to anyone? you have to supply the bikes seriel number? I know of at least one stolen bike being recovered this way....

Yes, thanks for that & you are quite correct when we trialed the bikes at 50Cycles the sales guy gave us exactly the same advice & in fact they had recovered a couple of bikes where the thieves had tried to get replacement batteries.

Unfortunately there will be some instances where thieves try it on anyway. So having sourced a new bike cover from Taylormade we still have to purchase good quality lock, ideally, for locking the 2 bikes together & around post, bike stands etc. when out shopping etc. Looking at the web sites you gave in your earlier post. :-)

Guest JudgeMental

That is easy, a GOOD chain and long D lock from Abus, kyroptonite and the like..... have kept our bikes safe for 2 years. Carry one each and lock together using both. I also have a very loud audible alarm which is handy if you are nearby in a shop, restaurant whatever...more piece of mind?

http://www.tmlstore.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=214

pepe63 - 2011-03-14 1:59 PM

I bit obvious I know but has your van got any sort of aftermarket alarm?..if it has maybe it could be adapted to include a loop for the bikes?

(..similar to the Vanbitz,Strikeback alarm )

Not cheap but then I don't suppose your bikes were either... ;-)

Yes we do have the Vanbitz Strikeback alarm system inc. the 'wailer' loop for the bike rack, which we will use when at the motor home.

Will also get one of the Chaperone bike alarms for when the bikes are parked up along with the chain & D lock. There is a big variety of these on the web sites which Judge gave. Just got to decide which ones to get, taking in to account weight. *-)

Guest JudgeMental

we went for the 80mm length 13mm chain with squire lock. It is a real beast and weighs 3.5kg, but weight not really a problem with an e bike. The Abus weigh 1.5kg and is very well reviewed because it is square section and hard to break. but when you leave bike you feel pretty confident that it will be there on your return....

Th ultimate chains and D locks are 19mm but I dread to think what they weigh. daily I only use the Abus myself and it is fine. but if I upgrade to a more expensive bike (soon) I will get a 19mm D lock

JudgeMental - 2011-03-14 1:44 PM

That is easy, a GOOD chain and long D lock from Abus, kyroptonite and the like..... have kept our bikes safe for 2 years. Carry one each and lock together using both. I also have a very loud audible alarm which is handy if you are nearby in a shop, restaurant whatever...more piece of mind?

http://www.tmlstore.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=214

We are looking at the 13mm Protector chain & D lock package or the 13mm Protector chain with the Squire SS50CS lock & then the audible Chaperone bike alarm

Hopefully this will keep away at least the opportunist thief, if they are real pro bike thieves they'll have them anyway.

Next on the list is insurance !!!!

*-)

Archived