Fitting new radio

chas

Was hoping to change my cab radio for a better unit. At present its the standard unit fitted in a Boxer 05 vintage and was wondering if anyone completed this task with just taking out and repluging into the new one.

Or would extra leads ect be required.

I also want to fit an external airiel on the front wing for much better reception, any problems involved there.

The radio will be a Sony make. Cheers.

Guest 1footinthegrave
I've got a 2003 Ducato, swapping the Fiat one for a Kenwood KDC-W313A, (which is fabulous) and it was just a straight forward swap, the plugs were exactly the same on both sets. As the previous poster said that may not be the case with a Sony though unless the adapter comes with it, but in the Ducato's case it's all a bit tight in there at the back of the radio once you get that part of the dash off, not sure if an extra adapter would make that just a little more difficult if you needed one. One further point, you may want to just check again the reception with the existing Aerial with the new set, I found my Kenwood radio reception is light years better than the Fiat fitted one, and absolutely no need for another Aerial. On a previous van I owned someone had fitted a telescopic type on the wing, the ones you see in the caravan / motor-home accessories outlets, and not to put too finer point on it, it was c**p :-)

I have a 2006 Ducato, the ariel is on the wing and is is still not brilliant. Also I changed my radio recently for a Ripspeed with a slide out monitor and could not get it to fit owing to the lack of space for all the wires and connectors. It is a fairly easy fix with a large holesaw and a pair of pruning shears or similar as the plastic under the radio position is fairly soft to cut taking care not to damage the wiring loom underneath.

The only problem I have is that the radio will not stay on when I turn off the ignition, can anyone help with this. It still retains its memory and bleeps when you press the remote. I have used the convertor lead to the radio.

Clive.

Archived