Census - What a waste of money!!

catinou

I can't believe the waste on this census - one of my clients received a census form addressed to his business. Following the advice to call the number on it to inform "them" that it was a business address and not a residential address - he was thanked and told that he would receive a visit from a census official to inspect his business to ensure it really was commercial premises. If that is correct, and there are no beds etc "they" will make the necessary amendments to their records! 8-)

How much will that excercise cost & how many "visits" will take place? I have just heard from another 2 clients saying the same thing since I started writing this short moan *-) :-S

Never mind. A Ticketing Machine in a car park in Hampshire was also sent one addressed to 'The Occupier, Pay on Foot Shelter'.

Also question 17 evidently asks if you can speak Welsh, but only for those actually in Wales. The rest of us have a blank. Wonder if there is a qustion for Gaelic? Plus those in Aberdeen who speak Doric may be a dischuffed.

Ah well, if anyone wants to read all the answers it will no doubt appear on a memory stick left in a waste bin near you

Never mind. A Ticketing Machine in a car park in Hampshire was also sent one addressed to 'The Occupier, Pay on Foot Shelter'.

Also question 17 evidently asks if you can speak Welsh, but only for those actually in Wales. The rest of us have a blank. Wonder if there is a qustion for Gaelic? Plus those in Aberdeen who speak Doric may be a dischuffed.

Ah well, if anyone wants to read all the answers it will no doubt appear on a memory stick left in a waste bin near you

Oops, sorry double Post. Don't know how that happened.

Guest 1footinthegrave
It gets worse, here in Wales / Cymru it has been duplicated, two thick forms, one in Welsh, one in English by definition 50 % waste before it hit the letter box. In my case it was 100% waste as I used neither as you can also file the answers online. Everything in Cymru / Wales is duplicated in this way. I did write to our local council saying surely a one off question asking people for their language preferences could halve at a stroke this waste, no reply was forthcoming. And they say there are no cost savings to be made in local government.

Guest 1footinthegrave

To Big Momma,

To be honest I don't think the average politician has the intellect to absorb the information and most seem totally devoid of common sense. I have signed quite a few e-petitions on the No10 site and I hate to sound so defeatist but doubt it ever made any difference, just look at the way the Libdems binned all their pre-election principles just to get some power.

I once read something that struck me as being bang on the money, it was,

Just expressing the view that someone wants to enter politics, should be the very thing that should exclude them from ever doing so. :-S

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2011-03-10 8:11 PM

If you are born in England then you are English. Why the hell a question of Black English (Asian, African) or White English. Or is that a Grey area 8-)

Dave

I reckon most on here would qualify as Grey British :D (lol)

We need to understand a bit more of the history here, before slagging off the current Govt over this.

Because I'd understood that the contract for this years UK Census had been signed yonks ago by the Labour Government.

The incoming Govt wanted to scrap it to save money, but were told by the legal beagles that the contract that Labour Govt had signed up to provided for cancellation penalty that were so great that they were almost as high as if the thing just went ahead.

The Govt is saying that to save money in future that this years Census will probably be the last one

pelmetman - 2011-03-11 5:47 PM
nowtelse2do - 2011-03-10 8:11 PM

If you are born in England then you are English. Why the hell a question of Black English (Asian, African) or White English. Or is that a Grey area 8-)

Dave

I reckon most on here would qualify as Grey British :D (lol)

Old Grey & Wrinkly British :D

Dave

BGD - 2011-03-11 7:05 PM We need to understand a bit more of the history here, before slagging off the current Govt over this. Because I'd understood that the contract for this years UK Census had been signed yonks ago by the Labour Government. The incoming Govt wanted to scrap it to save money, but were told by the legal beagles that the contract that Labour Govt had signed up to provided for cancellation penalty that were so great that they were almost as high as if the thing just went ahead. The Govt is saying that to save money in future that this years Census will probably be the last one

I agree totaly with you Bruce. Between the Banks and the Lab/Gov they have a lot to answer for, (but they won't)

Dave

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2011-03-11 7:19 PM Old Grey & Wrinkly British :D

Dave

Speak for yourself mate :D I consider myself a fine fine figure of British manhood, with just a hint of flattering grey :D and the way I arrange my beer gut over my union jack shorts can not fail to impress the ladies :D

pelmetman - 2011-03-11 7:38 PM
nowtelse2do - 2011-03-11 7:19 PM  Old Grey & Wrinkly British :D

Dave

Speak for yourself mate :D I consider myself a fine fine figure of British manhood, with just a hint of flattering grey :D and the way I arrange my beer gut over my union jack shorts can not fail to (press the ladies) :D

There, that's better. :D :D

Dave

• 1 month later...

My sister passed this to me and suggested the inhabitants of this forum would like it.

It is, of course, non PC!

--------

They sent my census form back!!

In answer to question"Do you have any dependants?"

I put asylum seekers,gyppos,smack heads,unemployable bastards, cast of the Jeremy Kyle show,northern Rock,RBS, and half of f***ing Eastern Europe.

Apparently this wasn't an acceptable answer.

-------

(lol)

We have just come back from our 9 week trip to Spain, Morocco and France, we had a visit from a chap about not filling in the Census forms. We said we were out of the Country and if they have a problem with that, they should have checked with the Immigration dept as they knew we were out of the Country. If they had done they could have saved money and time by not sending one in the first place.

David.

deerhound - 2011-04-22 9:31 PM

dont fill it in, write on it No Contract and return it, Job done. :D

Could you explain why this deliberate undermining of the taxpayer-funded Census process is somehow amusing for you?

BGD - 2011-04-22 11:59 PM

deerhound - 2011-04-22 9:31 PM

dont fill it in, write on it No Contract and return it, Job done. :D

Could you explain why this deliberate undermining of the taxpayer-funded Census process is somehow amusing for you?

Probably because deerhound has a sense of humour and you dont (?)

Archived