roadtax

tom rocks

Hi can anyone help I have just recieved my road tax renewal for my autocurise star spirit motorhome the body is on a peugeot boxer 2,2 it as it listed as a PLG private light goods the tax is £205 pounds but a friend at work as said it should be classed as a leisure vehicle and should be £165 is he right or what

tom rocks :-(

If (as is likely) your vehicle has a GVW (MAM) no greater than 3500kg, then it is classed as PLG, and the £205 is correct.

If it has a GVW (MAM) above 3500kg, then it is classed as PHG (Private Heavy Goods) and the rate is £165.

I know it is counter-intuitive, but it is correct.

I have just renewed my road tax at £205 also just had a mot they had to check twice as they could not read the emission reading it was so low if i had a euro 4 engine the tax would be £125 ( TC 36 )

alf - 2011-03-10 9:41 PM

I have just renewed my road tax at £205 also just had a mot they had to check twice as they could not read the emission reading it was so low if i had a euro 4 engine the tax would be £125 ( TC 36 )

If your van is registered as a Motor Caravan the road tax is the same regardless of the emissions, if you look at your V5 you will see there is no entry under emissions.

Guest 1footinthegrave
It's all a bit weird,I'm sitting here right now looking at my renewal, mine say's Tax class "Light goods vehicle" although in my reg doc it has the body type as Motor caravan, and the duty for 12 months is £200, not £205, as the previous poster. Am I getting a discount for being a pensioner I wonder, or because I live in Wales. Perhaps the Op would be better advised to phone DVLA. but keep quiet about my rate :-D

£200 is correct for a Light Goods Vehicle (Tax Class 39) a Motor Caravan should be registered as a Private Light Goods Vehicle (Tax Class 11) & the tax is £205.

Also I believe I am correct in saying that if it is registered as Light Goods Vehicle you require a Light Goods Vehicle Test every year instead of an MOT.

Guest 1footinthegrave
lennyhb - 2011-03-11 1:00 PM

£200 is correct for a Light Goods Vehicle (Tax Class 39) a Motor Caravan should be registered as a Private Light Goods Vehicle (Tax Class 11) & the tax is £205.

Also I believe I am correct in saying that if it is registered as Light Goods Vehicle you require a Light Goods Vehicle Test every year instead of an MOT.

Just come of the phone from DVLA, apparantly I do have a LGV, body type Motor Caravan, and £200 tax band, questioned about the MOT being class 1V she said it is irrelevant, and a class 1V whatever that is, is OK. I must say it was all as clear as mud. Thanks for the info though, I'll question the MOT tester as it is due in the next few weeks. And the last test was a normal car type MOT. Why is life made so difficult for us all :-(

1footinthegrave - 2011-03-11 2:32 PM

Just come of the phone from DVLA, apparantly I do have a LGV, body type Motor Caravan, and £200 tax band, questioned about the MOT being class 1V she said it is irrelevant, and a class 1V whatever that is, is OK. I must say it was all as clear as mud. Thanks for the info though, I'll question the MOT tester as it is due in the next few weeks. And the last test was a normal car type MOT. Why is life made so difficult for us all :-(

Did DVLA give any reason to why yours is registered as LGV when normally Motor Caravans are PLGV?

Guest 1footinthegrave
lennyhb - 2011-03-11 4:26 PM

Did DVLA give any reason to why yours is registered as LGV when normally Motor Caravans are PLGV?

In a word, no, but I wonder if it has anything to with the fact that apparently a lot of van based conversions are not reclassified by the converters to Motor caravans, in effect I was told that in the event of an insurance claim your insurers could just pay out based on a standard vans value. Take that to it's logical conclusion and anyone driving out a new IH that they paid say 50k for, get it written off just out the door, and you get a payout of maybe 18K.

I had to provide evidence from the converters ( IH motor-homes ) that it was a "professional" conversion to get it reclassified. I have again been on the phone to them and they insist the classification as far as VED ( road tax in £.s and d) is correct, so I'm £5 a year better off, ah the wonders of the DVLA.

Guest 1footinthegrave
My insurers ( Safeguard ) had no issue with insuring prior to reclassification with DVLA as a Motor-home even though it was just an LGV originally and stayed the same for the first few years despite being converted from new by IH, but I was alerted to just the slight potential for problems in the event of a claim by other IH owners whos vans had the same registration issue, I believe Timberland also, and maybe others too. In addition speed limits would be as a van30/50/60/70, so the only potential for the dreaded gun would have been on single and duel carriageways, I am now led to believe that as the body type is now Motor-caravan the higher car limits apply ( I hope ) As I said, it's all as clear as mud, but maybe others would like to check their van based conversions out to see what their reg document says. :-S P.S I can get away with 90 as long as no one is looking

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2011-03-11 9:41 PM

P.S I can get away with 90 as long as no one is looking

8-) I got my camper up to over 70 once when I first got it 8-) and it scared the sh1te out of me as its SWB 8-) My delivery van is LWB and I have just got that up to 80 with the aid of 2 stroke :D

You must have nerves of steel to do 90 in a camper B-)

PS? 90 is that speed logged on a satnav or speedo as I thought my works van did 85 and everyone passing must be doing over a 100 8-) .......until I got the satnav and realised I was only doing 70 *-)........electronic speedo's are crap my 21 year old campers speedo is more accurate (lol) (lol) ....as confirmend by satnav ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave

Very annoying when them blokes in their Sprinters still come past you though

All joking apart I rarely go much above 60, probably less now with the way diesel is going. But as I now have a 2.8jtd LWB van based conversion it is a very different animal to my Elnagh coachbuilt that I used to have, that was very under powered and 60 was an event rarely seen, especially in a head wind.

As for the accuracy of modern speedo's I thought they had to be fairly accurate these day's, but I too have noticed my Satnav always shows a slower speed, perhaps that's no bad thing with all the speed cameras around.

Lets face it, speed is not high up on most peoples agendas, but when faced with a near deserted Peage unlike driving in the UK, I do find myself creeping up a bit. ;-)

Hi,

Speedos are allowed to read fast (show you are doing 70 when you are really doing 65) by up to 10%.

They are not allowed to read slow at all. So don't tell Plod that your speedo was showing 69mph, when his was showing 90, else you will be booked for a C&U offence as well.

Guest 1footinthegrave
602 - 2011-03-12 5:43 AM

Hi,

Speedos are allowed to read fast (show you are doing 70 when you are really doing 65) by up to 10%.

They are not allowed to read slow at all. So don't tell Plod that your speedo was showing 69mph, when his was showing 90, else you will be booked for a C&U offence as well.

If I've learnt one thing in life it's that to argue with Mr Plod will get you nowhere. But perhaps I should point out my 90 mph was a one off ( lets see what it can do ) on an deserted M/way in the early hours driving in France, probably 81 mph in the real world, I'm no boy racer.

Back to the OP, his VED is as others have said is correct, still not sure about mine though, so back on to DVLA o Monday. :-|

1footinthegrave - 2011-03-11 4:53 PM

lennyhb - 2011-03-11 4:26 PM

In a word, no, but I wonder if it has anything to with the fact that apparently a lot of van based conversions are not reclassified by the converters to Motor caravans, in effect I was told that in the event of an insurance claim your insurers could just pay out based on a standard vans value. Take that to it's logical conclusion and anyone driving out a new IH that they paid say 50k for, get it written off just out the door, and you get a payout of maybe 18K.

I had to provide evidence from the converters ( IH motor-homes ) that it was a "professional" conversion to get it reclassified. I have again been on the phone to them and they insist the classification as far as VED ( road tax in £.s and d) is correct, so I'm £5 a year better off, ah the wonders of the DVLA.

If it was registered with the DVLA BEFORE it was converted the original taxation class will not change after conversion.

The important thing is to make sure that the body type is recorded as motor caravan on the V5C. It is that which determines the type of MOT test required, speed limits, etc.

Incidentally, the DVLA are currently 'informally' consulting about the requirements that need to be met before a vehicle can be registered as a motor caravan.

Andy

1footinthegrave - 2011-03-12 4:09 AM

As for the accuracy of modern speedo's I thought they had to be fairly accurate these day's, but I too have noticed my Satnav always shows a slower speed, perhaps that's no bad thing with all the speed cameras around.

Fiat speedos are terrible my one is 10% over through out the the entire range, where my car's ( a Kia) one reads only 2 mph over at 70 and its within 1-2 mph through out the range.

Must admit apart from the occasional blast I usually put the cruise control on and potter along at 60 true speed 54mph what better way to see France avoiding the Autoroutes of course.

Guest 1footinthegrave
I wonder if it follows that here am I thinking I'm getting around 30mpg, but allowing for 10% variation I'm only getting 27, or is the mileage recorder more accurate. I have noticed when I'm doing 29 in a built up area, invariably someone is right up my A*** I'm probably doing 25! Mind you there is an upside if the mileage recorder is 10% out as well, if that's the case I've only done 36k instead of 40k :-D

1footinthegrave - 2011-03-12 12:42 PM

I wonder if it follows that here am I thinking I'm getting around 30mpg, but allowing for 10% variation I'm only getting 27, or is the mileage recorder more accurate. I have noticed when I'm doing 29 in a built up area, invariably someone is right up my A*** I'm probably doing 25! Mind you there is an upside if the mileage recorder is 10% out as well, if that's the case I've only done 36k instead of 40k :-D

Depends on the age of your van. On modern vehicles the speedo is electronic it is a moving coil meter that is driven from electronics which take there feed from a pulse counter usually in the gearbox. The odometer although driven by the same pulse counter it is usually a separate electronic circuit and usually more accurate as there is no analogue meter.

Our X250 the speedo reads a constant 10% over but the odometer is accurate. On our first major outing in the van I checked the mpg the old way of tank brimming, a return trip to Slovenia returned 28.5 mpg, the reading on the trip computer was 28.1 mpg.

Archived