Another FIAT problem?

Cattwg

I’m not sure whether or not this information has been posted before but in any case it’s probably worth repeating. I received it from a friend after he saw it in his April issue of Practical Motorhome.

Fiat is recalling some of its X250 Ducato vans... due to a problem with the bolts that connect the vehicle's engine to its transmission.

Tests revealed that the bolts connecting the engine to the transmission could work loose leading to problems shifting gears.

According to German motorhome magazine Promobil, a fix - which only takes thirty minutes to complete - is being offered free of charge to German Ducato owners.

Fiat UK told us that it is also offering the fix and has been getting in touch with affected customers since just before Christmas.

Since this is not a safety recall, it will not be listed on the

Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) recall data base.

Fiat recommends that any owners of X250 Ducatos with 2.3-litre or 3.0 litre engines within chassis number range 1614651-1907289, contact their local dealer to determine if their vehicle is affected. You can also check on line at www.fiatcamper.com/check.php.

Cattwg :-D

I've telephoned my garage for its first annual service. The receptionist put my vehicle registration number into the Fiat database and it showed that the bolts needed to be tightened. Fiat will not be contacting individuals; they merely inform dealers who notify owners at servicing time.

If you don't get your vehicle serviced at a Fiat main dealer you will never find out unless you go on to the Fiat website mentioned in the above post.

Hello all,

This is quite common with most manufacturers choosing to issue 'service campaigns' to the dealers rather than contacting owners direct. There have been a number of modifications and adjustments issued for Ducato and it's sisters from France which will only get picked up if the vehicle goes into the dealer for warranty or service.

My advice is to take the vehicle to the dealer for a check before your warranty runs out and get anything outstanding done. If you have a full 3 year warranty; take it to an approved dealer a week before the first test is due, get them to do the test and therefore make sure that if it is going to fail on anything covered by warranty; you still get it paid for.

Nick

You are right in saying that the bolts just need 'torquiing ' tight. My van is under a year old, done less than 3k miles and when it was checked one of the bolts was missing. I would advise anyone to have theirs checked asap.

Just booked in my Motorhome for its first Annual Service & Habitation check. Before phoning to make the appointment I made a list of some minor items I want them to look at whilst in there. When I phoned I asked about the Engine Bolts and they confirmed that they were aware and that these would be checked as part of the Service. So thank you for raising the issue otherwise I would not have been aware or asked the question. Now I know about it and they know I know about it they 'should' actually conduct the check *-)

Archived