Revamping fading bumpers.

How Much

Guest Tracker

Many years ago I got some special etching primer and flexible top coat paint and sprayed them white to match the van - and even if I do say so myself they looked great!

Any car repair shop should be able to do this for you and you will never need to blacken your hands again - although I shudder to think what it would cost these days!

Hello,

Richard is bang on there.

There are some products that you can wipe over the affected area but without exception they wash off and always end up with streaky marks running down the bumper. Looks awful.

The only proper way to do it is to remove the bumper, clean thoroughly with panel wipe (mild thinner) and file off any little blemishes while you are at it. Next comes a plastic primer or if you can't get that use Acid Etch Primer (in a well ventilated area) and when that is dry use a flexible plastic bumper paint. We use one from Auto-Smart and another from our local GE Factors which is part of Hex Holdings Ltd. These are professional products but if you visit any of the trade paint and panel people near you they will be happy to supply you with the right stuff I am certain. Halfords and the like may have what you need, but the best products (normally for no more money) are to be found where the pro's shop.

You can also use a flexible filler on any scratches and then buy a textured version of the primer to put the texture back into the bumper finish before spraying the top coat. Don't do it the other way round and use a textured finish, it always looks wrong when dry.

You should be able to do it yourself for about £30 if there is nothing to repair, maybe £50 if there are some minor repairs to do too.

Have fun.

Nick

Guest pelmetman

I do appreciate a smart set of bumpers :D

After 21 years my front end is fine with the occaissional use of autoglym.

My rear end is in serious need of a paint job *-) Two plastics........... different reaction to light/fading *-)

Guest peter
I did the bumper on my last van. Took it off and primed it then sprayed it with Cellulose and it looked fine. Just make sure you dont scrape it or it will come off. Not strictly the correct way but it did the job.

I've just treated mine with a can of Car Plan Original Black spray bought from Halfords - very impressed.

Just needed a quick spray and wipe over. Much quicker and easier to apply than the bottle of Auto Glym Bumper Gloop (not the correct name! (lol) ) and as good, if not better results.

Mine bumpers need doing 2-3 times a year but with this product that's not a problem. B-)

John

Camperdude - 2011-03-12 9:12 AM

I've just treated mine with a can of Car Plan Original Black spray bought from Halfords - very impressed.

Just needed a quick spray and wipe over. Much quicker and easier to apply than the bottle of Auto Glym Bumper Gloop (not the correct name! (lol) ) and as good, if not better results.

Mine bumpers need doing 2-3 times a year but with this product that's not a problem. B-)

John

Thats what i want to hear - having just this minute (well - half an hour ago) bought a can of said stuff. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
Well, ive finally got around to doing the bumpers (i say 'bumperS - but theres only a front one!), with the Back to Black. And i have to say - its brilliant! They were just fading to grey (theres a song in there somewhere), and now they really do look 'as new'. Ten minutes max, it took me. And i did the mirrors + door handles etc. So thank-you to whoever recommended the stuff! ;-)

High How Much???????

Is your Back to Black method for restoring your bumper permanent? If memory serves correctly B to B is basically a silicone spray and only lasts a few weeks. I could be mistaken but in any case I would be interested in how long the refurbishment lasts.

Cattwg :-D

Guest Peter James

Being a cheapskate, I use Astonish (Grey) plastic restorer from the pound shop. Takes only a few minutes, looks great when you have done it, but only lasts a few weeks. I had some dear stuff that was no better.

I like lennyhbs idea of olive oil - will try that next time.

Guest Peter James
lennyhb - 2011-03-13 11:27 AM

Olive Oil works just as well as any of the bumper care products & if you want to be a cheapskate you don't have to use "Extra Virgin" (lol)

Thanks for that

Tried Olive Oil and it works better than any of the proper products I have used before :-)

Guest Peter James
How Much??????? - 2011-03-23 10:07 PM

Olive oil - i thought you were a cheapskate? Whats up with chip fat? :-D

Doh! Tell me that now I have spent two pounds on a bottle of olive oil (^)

Archived