Replacing a Sky digibox with a Lidl one

snobbyafghan

This actually to do with system in a cottage in France, not the van but I'm sue someone here has the knowledge.

I've inherited a satellite system which has a Sky box and card for free viewing. The previous owners were Welsh so the system has Welsh BBC and S4C etc. I assume this is because of the card that's in use? In addition, the picture freezes regularly. So, I want to replace it with my Lidl system from the van. Can I just connect it in place of the Sky box or do I need to change the transponder in the dish or even reorientate the dish?

Thanks

Doug

Changing to the LIDL receiver will mean that you will only receive the FTA (Free to Air) channels, rather than the FTV (Free to View) ones.

Nonetheless, the FTA ones are a major subset of the FTV ones, have all the standard UK channels, and presumably, if you use the LIDL receiver in the 'van, you will be used to this.

Note that you will also not get an EPG (Electronic Program Guide) as you do with Sky, but you will get "now and next" information.

If you are currently getting the standard UK channels (albeit some in Welsh) on your existing dish, then you should have to make no changes to the dish whatsoever.

For UK channels, you will need to ensure that your LIDL receiver is tuned to 28.2 E (which it probably is is you use it in the 'van), and it would probably be sensible to do a full search on that satellite, as some of the channels have moved around reasonably recently.

coach2000 - 2011-03-12 6:42 PM

I have never had the picture freeze unless the dish is not correctly aligned or bad weather conditions so you may still get this happening with the lidl one. Tree's are another possibility.

Clive.

+1

As my home dishes are mounted low, if the picture freezes it means I need to go out and cut the nettles down.

Archived