Software for route planning

Poppy

Guest 1footinthegrave
Microsoft Autoroute ? or a Satnav with European maps ? Although looking at my 2007 Autoroute for Croatia the road detailing is not that detailed but does show the E and A class roads, probably pick it up on Ebay for just a few quid but I would have thought more than good enough combined with a good paper map.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Big Momma - 2011-03-12 3:53 PM

As suggestions above but also ACSI DVD which lists Campsites as well as providing a route planner. Additionally, can't beat a good Road Atlas

I'm glad you have said that, since my post I thought the OP might have thought I was out of my tree suggesting a paper map as well, as I thought afterwards everyone has heard of a map!

I also have the ACSI DVD, but I don't think the actual route planning part of the software is anywhere near as good as Autoroute, but as Big Momma said it's very good showing sites as it does, plus a great deal more functionality including details of sites and pictures etc. Push the boat out and get both would be my advice. ;-)

Autoroute 2010 will give much better road detail in Croatia than earlier versions.  Has street level detail for most cities/large towns.  However, Bosnia-Herzegovina road detail is rudimentary.

The ACSI route planner (at least, the 2010 version) does not contain any street level mapping, so is liable to mislead unless used in conjunction with a sat-nav with fully up-to-date mapping.

Be aware that some of the ACSI sat nav co-ordinates are misleading, having been input from pitches on site, rather than from the site entrance.  If there is a back road that is closer to that pitch than the road passing the site entrance, especially if it is the other side of a stream, the results can be very puzzling!  :-)

Also be aware of the "Neum corridor" if going to Dubrovnik.  This is part of the main, "Magistrala" coast road down to Dubrovnik, but you have to pass through about 15 miles of Bosnia Herzegovina, around the tatty looking resort town of Neum, to get there.  You may have difficulty with insurance for Bosnia-Herzegovina, a number of UK insurers won't cover it and, despite suggestions to the contrary, it was not possible to buy insurance of any kind at the border when we went in 2008.  There is a ferry from Ploce to Trpanj (tickets on arrival at either end) on the Peljsac peninsula, that will take you round the Neum corridor, but it can be disrupted if the Bora is blowing.

Wherever we go in Europe I use AutoRoute to plan a general route and then we use maps for the day to day detail - my wife is an excellent navigator. We too are going to Croatia this year and will follow our usual method.

I’ve just bought the Rough Guide Croatian map from Amazon (£3.80ish), to augment our genera Europe Atlas - at first look it seems good. It is made from tear resistant paper.

We plan to use the Ploce to Trpanj ferry to avoid Bosnia.

Cattwg :-D

Guest JudgeMental

WE are going to Croatia as well :-D

I use the Garmin Mapsource on PC/laptop and can then send my custom routes from sat nav to PC/laptop or the other way.....

I also use Autoroute. would be interested in what routes you are thinking of to get there........

One useful aspect of Autoroute is that you can click and drag the route, to change the route (if that makes sense), then recalcalculate the route.

Downside is that Aroute is not very good at road speeds, so times to calculating times to destinations have to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Rgds

As of this evening our route will be something like this, although it could well change over the next few weeks and when we are actually on the road!

Dunkerque – Dudelange – Blaubeuren – Salzburg - (Lake) Bled - Duga Resa (for Zagreb and Nacionalni Park Plitvicka) - Trogir – Split - Drvenik - Ploce to Trpanj – Ston – Dubrovnik – Cavtat - Gruda - Trpanj to Ploce – Bibinje – Zadar – Senj – Rijeka - Punta Sabbioni (for Venice) – Innsbruck – Pfronten – Nesselwang – Hauenstein – Dudelange - Dunkerque.

About 3000 miles (excluding the trip to/from Dunkerque) over 7 weeks.

Cattwg :-D

Microsoft Autoroute with a Bluetooth GPS receiver and as many POIs for sites and aires as you can download.

I find that this set-up give most of the features of a satnav with the ability to pan out to a wide area of the map enabling easier searching for places of interest.

You can also add the feature of 'Bing Maps' to an arial view of locations if you have internet access when planning.

Sounds like! I don't think the Bosnia herzogivna (sp?) thing will bother us as we will probably stay up north, but are going to check insurances just in case.Route down Ithink, will be Germany, Austria Slovenia and back up via Italian Lakes and the Alsace area of France.We have a month but might extend it for 6 weeks if I can bear (sp?) to be away from my horse that long! Dog coming with us.

Guest JudgeMental
Poppy - 2011-03-13 7:20 AM

Sounds like! I don't think the Bosnia herzogivna (sp?) thing will bother us as we will probably stay up north, but are going to check insurances just in case.Route down Ithink, will be Germany, Austria Slovenia and back up via Italian Lakes and the Alsace area of France.We have a month but might extend it for 6 weeks if I can bear (sp?) to be away from my horse that long! Dog coming with us.

We also have a month and are ending up for a week on our favourite site on Lake Garda to meet our children and friends. we are staying North as well visiting the Islands and Istria peninsula (have been down to Dubrovnik in the past)

Brian Kirby kindly supplied the following route, sure he wont mind me sharing :-D

"Bled is pretty, and there is a quite good campsite at the northern end of the lake: Camping Bled. If going that way, I think I’d enter from Austria, via Saltsburg and Villach, But you’ll need to get an Austrian maut, or vignette for the autobahn.

You’ll also now need a vignette for the Slovenian autobahns, so A2 south from Bled, to Ljubljana, then A1 to Postonja, then road 6 south through Pivka and Ilirska Bistrica to the Croatian border at Rupa. That will take you south onto Croatian A7 past Rijeka and on to Krk (bridge, not ferry).

For Cres, you’ll need a ferry from Krk, but could go up through Cres and take another ferry from Porozina to Brestova on Istria. Croatian ferries look for Jadrolinja http://tinyurl.com/2asebw The timetables and prices should be there, and you won’t need to book unless they say so. Check vehicle sizes/weights, though – they aren’t all that big!

Then go South to Pula, up to Rovinj, and Porec, and exit through Slovenia via Piran, then into Italy via Trieste, Venice, Padua and Vicenza to Verona, and you own favourite lake."

Archived