Insurance for long term trips abroad

snobbyafghan

You may also wish to research quotes from The Caravan and Camping Club and The Caravan Club.

We are pleased with our policy through CCC and there was very little increase in premium this year. (Because of comments on this forum and elsewhere about various companies' increased premiums I rather feared a hefty increase.)

snobbyafghan - 2011-03-13 4:07 PM

The next problem is the car - if I take that as well, any ideas for companies that do general motor insurance that don't have the 90 day rule...?

Doug

It may be worth while having a word with whoever you use for the MH insurance, they may have access to car policies, or a company within the 'group' who can do this.

My own MH policy is with Safeguard, and includes Euro breakdown, and I found they would also quote a realistic price for personal travel policy.

Lots of Motorhome Insurers cover for extended stays e.g. Safeguard provide 365 days European Cover (including UK/Breakdown Cover), Caravan Guard will provide 8 months cover in any one insurance year and there are lots more. You may want to look at the Travel/Medical cover though as these tend to have 30,60 & 90 day restrictions.

Mickydripin - 2011-03-13 7:01 PM

Hi Keith I have safeguard insurance and UK breakdown cover do you pay extra for the euro cover or is it all in as I did not think that I was covered for that.

Mike

If I may answer in lieu of or in addition to Keith as someone who had been insured for a long time with safeguard. Safeguard incorporate within their policy (not as an addition) UK Breakdown Cover with the AA, no size restriction. This also includes Breakdown cover within Europe, although it will be with a partner service in the particular country you are in and not the AA.

snobbyafghan - 2011-03-13 4:07 PM

Thanks for responses so far - it doesn't look like trhere's too much problem with the van.

The next problem is the car - if I take that as well, any ideas for companies that do general motor insurance that don't have the 90 day rule...?

Doug

CCC and CC also offer car insurance. I would think they also would cover a trailer or towing a car behind your motorhome.

Manu - 2011-03-14 12:14 PM

Has anyone had to use Safeguard at home or abroad, if so what was your experience .

Used them within my first year of being with them for the Breakdown Assistance (Blown rear tyre on A1 and the jack provided with the van was worse than useless. The insurance cover includes AA cover and with a call to the number provided on a handy little card all my problems were sorted ! did not have to contact Safeguard directly on that occasion. I generally find the Safeguard staff very freindly when you call the office and helpful with all my enquiries, mind you not that helpful as they couldn't offer me a decent quote after 12 years for my new van, so now with a different service provider :-S

Mickydripin - 2011-03-13 7:01 PM

Hi Keith I have safeguard insurance and UK breakdown cover do you pay extra for the euro cover or is it all in as I did not think that I was covered for that.

Mike

Hi Mike

yes Euro breakdown is included with the policy, and from memory you cannot exclude it!!! Price-wise they remain pretty compettitive.

In answer to another contributor, I have have occasion to use the service - when we were in France last year, we had a problem with a rooflight cover whilst on an autoroute, and ended up with my wife having to literally hang on to the rooflight from inside until l I could get to an Aire. We called the breakdown (I think it was the AA) who were unable to help even though we were on an aire, and advsied us to get off the motorway, and call again from a 'free' road, which we did.

Once we explained the problem to them, they took on board what was needed, and called us back shortly afterwards, dircecting us to a typical French garage who did a 'temporary' job with tape and glue, which we were not convianced would hold verylong..... BUT in typical French style it worked, and some 2500km later, when we got back to the Uk and had it replaced, it was still intact!

Archived