Anyone done the maths?

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

Bit early perhaps :D

Thinking of next Christmas and a trip to Spain again, we are considering the ferry from Plymouth to Santander as with the cost of fuel and tolls it might be cheaper to use the ferry (?)

Brittany run to Santander at moment, but are/have introduced another one to Bilbao from Portsmouth. The cost will go up due to fuel costs quiet expensive already, as you need a cabin and will have to pay for meals on board.

A few years ago we did a mini cruise on the now defuct "Pride of Bilbao" for £35 each plus food, with Tesco vouchers it was "Free" no vehicle of course. We only had a few hours on shore, but made a nice break, as we are only up the road from termnial Pity the ferry companirs don't fill up last minute cheaper fare, as the ship is going there regardless of how many on board. Maybe they don't want a last minute rush????

PJay - 2011-03-13 4:30 PM

Pity the ferry companirs don't fill up last minute cheaper fare, as the ship is going there regardless of how many on board. Maybe they don't want a last minute rush????

... but then we'd all leave it until last minute and it'd be chaos!!! :D

...not sure I'd fancy the Bay of Biscay in December, but being a seasoned matelot, maybe you feel differently. :D

If you take the dog I think it'll be cooped up in a kennel all the way.

With decent onboard accommodation you're talking around £800 return (assuming they run right across the winter months).

When considering using French motorways (which I don't a lot), www.autoroutes.fr does a reasonable calculation (though I prefer to work my own fuel costs out, as they appear a bit "random").

If you're under 3m high (and 3500kg) selecting the car and caravan option gives (AFAIK) the correct tolls.

If we assume 20mpg for your van, then you're talking something like 600 euro return from Calais to the Spanish border in fuel and tolls. I can't believe a short-sea crossing in December is going to be particularly expensive (probably not much more than the extra fuel to Plymouth) so maybe £200+ (direct cost) cheaper to drive.

That's my take on it anyway.

Guest pelmetman
Robinhood - 2011-03-13 5:06 PM

That is our main concern, but we have heard a rumour that one of the ferry company's allow dogs in the cabin :D

pelmetman - 2011-03-13 5:17 PM

That is our main concern, but we have heard a rumour that one of the ferry company's allow dogs in the cabin :D

Don't think that's the general case with Brittany Ferries, though one of the boats does appear to have the facility. (but no guarantee that it will be on the route/sailing you want).

pelmetman - 2011-03-13 5:17 PM

If that's the case please take plenty of poly bags

I haven't done the maths as when we go to Spain & Portugal we drive down through France as my wife is a terrible sailor and we also have a dog. Its the ferry for us, we hate the tunnel experience, once was more than enough.

The cost for our two previous trips have costed in at a very similar cost/mile. Our last two trips have averaged at approx 5,000 miles each and the cost per mile has been near enough £1/mile, all in.

You might wish to use this as a guide to check if there is a saving to be had by sailing to northern Spain. I've not factored in any depreciation costs of the extra mileage on the van, nor any wear and tear costs/additional servicing costs. Savings in this area may help your budget work.

Guest pelmetman

Thanks people.

I think Sue has decided that the Bay of Biscuit in winter is not her cup of tea :D She never did like rough weather even when we had a boat (lol)..............No sense of adventure >:-)

Guest Tracker

It's probably more a time issue than a cost one although my perception is that driving is cheaper than sailing - albeit a bit slower overall?

We always enjoy the drive down through France as often to travel is better than to arrive - especially in a motorhome friendly country like France!

I really would not recommend crossing the Bay of Biscay in the winter. We did it a lot of years ago in a car and there was a gale blowing. We had to dig the car out as 10 inches of snow had fallen overnight in Plymouth. The boat still ran on time but the crossing was atrocious. It just rolled from side to side all the way and I think I spent 23 hrs in my bunk, the only way you did not feel ill. Driving is always better.

We set out in April one year from plymouth and the brittany ferry broke down in a gale in the bay of biscay and for several hours we wallowed with no lights or power. The french crew locked themselves away and no-one would answer any questions. When we docked most of the vehicles had been damaged by the crazy angles the ship had rolled. After santander as we climbed away from the coast we found two feet of snow and black ice along the way. We drive down now keeping to the coast when we approach the med.

happy days, alan.

Guest pelmetman

My original idea was driven by thrift (lol) Thought I might save a few quid :D

But as you say the bay of Biscuit can be a bit rough at anytime of year from my experience! and if the crew are not securing the vehicles correctly then thats another reason not try that route *-) As for lumpy weather at sea I always found that exciting B-)

Nothing like a bit of rough :D ....................Weather I hasten to add (lol)

I have just driven from Castro Marin on the Algarve to Calais and I bought deseil to the value of 366 euros, I then drove from Dover to Southampton and arrived at Southampton with half a tank of deseil left,my ferry cost me £43 pounds one way,via the CCC. In our six month trip we used 7X 13 kg Repsol Propane gas bottles and 1X6 kg Calor Propane gas bottle,we wild camped all the time and only had electric hook ups on a few Stelplatzs in Germany at the start of our trip.We had the heating on in the van frequently {on gas] as it got quite cold at night .My van is 2-8 JTD chipped and is 4-5 tonnes.The ferry outward in September Dover -Calais cost £28 via the net, I always put my van on at 6.5 metres.

Quote "A few years ago we did a mini cruise on the now defuct "Pride of Bilbao" for £35 each plus food, with Tesco vouchers it was "Free" no vehicle of course"

Is this the "Mini Cruise" which is on offer now and then and is advertised ( I think the current price is just over £100) as a chance to see Dolphins and Whales in the Bay of Biscay with 3 Hours on shore?

In the summer of course. Is it any good? Any wild life to see?

Sorry to go off subject, but I have been wanting to ask someone who has been on this trip what they thought of it.

HI Fred

We did the cruise with P&O, and as I said now not running. The pride of Bilbao was an old boat . one way it was misty so did not see anything, the other way , was flat as a mill pond, only saw one whale. Think we were unlucky, as we used to sail our own boat , and often saw Dolphins , Sharks , and even Turtles, though we never went as far as Spain, only France. You see Dolphins of the coasts of the Channel islands as well.

The trip made a pleasant three days away. Only complaint at the time was, lots of smokers on board , just going for the cheap fags at Santuzi.

Think all the ships now are smoke free zones

PJay

starvin marvin - 2011-03-14 6:17 PMI haven't done the maths as when we go to Spain & Portugal we drive down through France as my wife is a terrible sailor and we also have a dog. Its the ferry for us, we hate the tunnel experience, once was more than enough. 

Marvin, can I ask why you don't like the tunnel? 

We choose it precisely because we have a dog; just drive on, eat breakfast, and drive off the other end.  The dog doesn't even know she's travelled below the water (gulp) and we're rested, fed and ready to go.

Madmaggott - 2011-03-16 5:10 PM
starvin marvin - 2011-03-14 6:17 PMI haven't done the maths as when we go to Spain & Portugal we drive down through France as my wife is a terrible sailor and we also have a dog. Its the ferry for us, we hate the tunnel experience, once was more than enough. 

Marvin, can I ask why you don't like the tunnel? 

We choose it precisely because we have a dog; just drive on, eat breakfast, and drive off the other end.  The dog doesn't even know she's travelled below the water (gulp) and we're rested, fed and ready to go.

I think its a number of things that don't really suit us. The first is the travel distance from the East Midlands to Dover /Ashford. 220 miles means we're ready for a break from driving/sitting behind the wheel. The second is the choice of destination. We often overnight in Dover, and get an early ferry next day. Sometimes we get an afternoon crossing and either overnight outside the Dunkirk ticket office or if using Calais, we nip down to Le Touquet.The dog appears to do what dogs do when left alone, sleep. There is never any sign of him having been distressed when we get back to the van. The process of checking in for the ferry with a dog is in our opinion much more user friendly, we encountered rude staff on our one and only tunnel trip. The experience of the actual travel underground is for both of us unappealing, we both like boat trips, my wifes motion sickness feeling means that sometimes she sits at the front and watches the horizon. Meanwhile I can have a pint. Finally, as we don't use Tesco, the price for a ferry is always cheaper. Simples.

It is cheaper to go Dover-calais, use Aires on the way down. In the past we have driven and as we have been unlucky with the bay of biscay, spent some of the worst days of my life on the ferry. However my wife and I now look at what we would choose if all of the alternatives were free, then see if we can afford our first choice, that way we get the best out of life. Just remember that no one can buy good health or time, just enjoy yourselves the best that you can either afford or if money is not a problem what you can justify in your mind.

Whatever you choose, travel safe and enjoy.

Mike

mike 202 - 2011-03-17 6:08 PM

However my wife and I now look at what we would choose if all of the alternatives were free, then see if we can afford our first choice, that way we get the best out of life. Mike

I must say that I like yours and your wife’s philosophy Mike.

Regarding Spain we to do a similar trip to yourselves. The ferry across the Bay of Biscay seems, to us, to be very expensive and the weather suspect to say the least.

We take 10 to 14 days to drive through France using a mix of aires and ACSI Card sites.

I devise a different route through France each time. This approach ensures that the French section is very much (a pleasant) part of the holiday.

Cattwg :-D

Archived