car park York

gadjo

Hi all

I was in York yesterday and parked at the st georges field car park near the river.

I paid £10 for parking which entitled me to stay untill 08.24 the next day. I paid that cos we we going to be in york late as we were going out for a meal with my son who is at uni there.

this got me thinking about a night in york in me van for £10... good value me thinks and you can never get on the rountree site!!!!!!........

any way she who must be obayed then pionted out a sign which stated no over night sleeping in motorhomes or caravans!!!

This to me this is daft as i had paid my parking fee which entiled me to stay untill 08.24 the next day so if i had been away before that time surly nobody could have done anything about it as no law would have been broken regardless of where i had slept what if i had just sat in me van awake all night does that count....????

I am going to email the council and ask them and see what they say.

I'm sure it will be you cant and thats an end to it cos some peole would take advantage and park up for days!!!! but we will see.

ps there are no hight barriers and coaches use it as well so plenty of room

cheers

this car park does get regularly patrolled at night, especially since York started a few years ago charging for evening parking. Parking wardens are keen! As a user myself in my car in the evenings, I am not sure I would be happy seeing a collection of white vans overnighting - they could be innocent, well behaved motorhome owners, but without close investigation, ....could they be a group of pikeys setting up illegal camp? My suggestion is to find a campsite, even if it has to be further away than the virtually unbookable Rowntree Park. Quite a few have evening bus services near, unless you want to sample the raucous nightlife that starts after 11 pm!

david lloyd - 2011-03-14 4:03 PM

Hi Gadjo,

Graham Hadfield has done much of this work for everyone and regularly updates his very informative site regarding motorhome parking.

Have a look on here:-

http://www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/

David

cheers David

it appaers there is already some over night parking in York for up to 8 motorhomes on Foss island road but it does not make it clear if you can sleep there??

Archived