Canary Islands

KD1

Any information regarding Wintering on Lanzarote and Fuerteventura would be greatly appreciated. Having spent the last 14 Winters in Spain I fancy the Canary Islands. I would prefer to go from Algarve rather than Cadiz. Is LPG available, ferry prices etc, wild camping and so on. My motorhome is 8.5m long, so I expect the Ferry price to be very expensive.

Any tips, help -thanks.

Lanzerote and fuerteventura are both windy isles, south Tenerife would be warmer, depending how long you intend to stay , you would have to work out wether it would not be cheaper to rent an apartment, as can be cheap for long term r ental

PJay

Guest JudgeMental

A very expensive crossing and is there any camping infrastruture when you get there...I dont know? :-S

Probably why most head for North Africa for the winter

We met lots of people at PORTIMAO PORTUGAL who were sailing for the Canaries,we enquired at the ferry port about a price for our van and it was £460 one way double for return so no saving there,your van size would cost this. you just turn up at the port buy your ticket and off you go Sailings are one only on Sundays about 3 pm, the same applies to return apparently just buy your ticket at the port in which ever place you are, I was reliably informed that wild camping was freely available and also toilet and water facilities, the person I gleaned the most information from had been going there for the past ten years,he said his favourite was tenneriffe.

Do consider whether it might end up being cheaper to just fly and rent an apartment for 2 or 3 months.

Out of summer season, apartment rentals can be VERY cheap.

Usually the best bet (same is true for Spain) is NOT to pre-book. Simply get off the plane, check into cheap hotel for a couple of nights, whilst you chase up all the private adverts on the balconies/in the local papers.

Don't go through agents, chase up only those where the owner is advertising their place for rent: offer cash, up front for the whole length of stay that you want, but offer a lot less than is being asked.

In the present economic situation over here there are, literally, thousands of flats for rent in every coastal town and someone will be desperate enough to agree.

Maybe 300 euros per month including bills for a one-bed apartment right on the coast if you offer maybe 3 months rent up front in cash and haggle hard.

I'm currently resident in Tenerife not in a motorhome I may add and there are at the time of writing a few Brit registered vans over here..Some of the so called wild camping places leave a lot to be desired..There is a proper campsite which has been fairly well patronised just recently..mind you the name of which escapes me..but I think the rate is 6.50 euros a night but I don't know if that includes EHU!!

If you want to PM me I'll try and get more details for you..websites ..costs..facilities etc Hope this helps!!

Thanks for your input to date. Yes I do realise that renting would be cheaper, but since we are full-timing -that is not an option. Also I windsurf and mountain bike as often as possible-so I need the Van to carry my toys!!

JudgeMental - 2011-03-14 1:33 PM

I'm pleasently surprised, as when this has been a topic before I was sure it was very expensive......

I would consider nearly £1,000 just for the return ferry trip to be quite expensive *-) especially when you could be staying at somewhere like 'La Manga' in excess of 91 days for £8pn (£728) *-)

Guest JudgeMental
Big Momma - 2011-03-15 10:45 AM

I'm pleasently surprised, as when this has been a topic before I was sure it was very expensive......

I would consider nearly £1,000 just for the return ferry trip to be quite expensive *-) especially when you could be staying at somewhere like 'La Manga' in excess of 91 days for £8pn (£728) *-)

weather a lot better in canaries though...thats what you are paying for?

I mean a lot pay not a lot short of that for a brittany ferries crossing to Spain, now that is a waste of money IMO

JudgeMental - 2011-03-15 11:08 AM

Big Momma - 2011-03-15 10:45 AM

weather a lot better in canaries though...thats what you are paying for?

I mean a lot pay not a lot short of that for a brittany ferries crossing to Spain, now that is a waste of money IMO

I am sure that there was an article in one of the Motorhome mags that featured the Canaries some months ago. Could be mistaken of course and may well have been one of the many blog sites like Magbaz travels *-)

Guest JudgeMental

weather appeals. Spain and North Africa particularly, have a reputation for being overcrowded in the winter.......if there are a few decent sites I would probably be interested in some more or less guareenteed winter sun :-D

Just had a quick Google and there are at least six campsites in the south (sunny) side of Tennerife :D

Archived