Mirror Guard

urbanracer

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ah, so you've decided it shouldn't work at 40mph then. But why 40mph? Why not 30 or 20 or 10 or 5? what makes you the arbiter of its speed limitation? And if it doesn't work at 40mph then why not say so in the advertising? If I sell you a brand new car by telling you it had an unlimited top speed and you drive it at 80mph and the engine blows up am I entitled to say that it's your fault because of course the engine would blow up at 80mph? That's what you are saying. You might wish to read up on the law before you so ignorantly tell others to "get real and move on".

Guest Had Enough
Movinon - 2014-06-02 12:08 AM

Ah, so you've decided it shouldn't work at 40mph then. But why 40mph? Why not 30 or 20 or 10 or 5? what makes you the arbiter of its speed limitation? And if it doesn't work at 40mph then why not say so in the advertising? If I sell you a brand new car by telling you it had an unlimited top speed and you drive it at 80mph and the engine blows up am I entitled to say that it's your fault because of course the engine would blow up at 80mph? That's what you are saying. You might wish to read up on the law before you so ignorantly tell others to "get real and move on".

I think that you're being unreasonable. You demanded that the supplier replace your entire broken door mirror, but why should he? You drove into a very solid object and if you hadn't fitted the Mirror Guard your door mirror would have shattered anyway.

The only claim that you can possibly make is for a refund of the money that you paid for the Mirror Guard and I think that there's a very good chance that it will fail if it goes to court.

Common sense tells us that such a thing cannot be totally indestructible, nothing is! If door mirrors clash on a narrow road I think that a Mirror Guard may well save your mirror from being damaged as both door mirrors have a spring-back facility which softens the blow, but striking a fixed object such as you did is a different kettle of fish.

I too think that you should move on.

I can't see anywhere on the Mirrorguard website where it makes any 'full protection' or 'no costly repair' statement quite as you suggest. In fact your 'DO NOT WORK' and 'not fit for purpose' comments are far more sweeping.

How can you possibly claim that - 'if you are travelling at 15-20mph and your mirror is hit by an oncoming vehicle at 15-20mph, then its goodbye mirror' - whilst that 'might' be true, you have no scientific evidence.

Indeed if that were the scenario, it bears no comparison to your experience of travelling at 35-40mph and hitting a relatively immovable object, of unknown shape.

Just what do you expect these covers to achieve? - clobbering something hard at the impact speed you experienced, it's hardly surprising that you suffered damage. There are just too many variables to ever ensure something will offer blanket protection.

It's like assuming that having airbags will make you immortal.

It will be interesting to see how the relevant authorities view the advertising claims for this product, but I tend to agree with Had Enough's opinion that a court would reject a claim for compensation given the nature of the accident described by Movinon.

For the record, there are other suppliers of mirror-protectors for X250 Ducatos/Boxers/Relays, including this one:

http://www.milenco.com/products/mirror-protectors/

Asking-prices for the Milenco-marketed product are £50-£60 and this is one supplier

http://www.thecaravanshop.co.uk/milenco-products/mirror-protectors/milenco-mirror-protectors-free-uk-delivery-/prod_1183.html

Maybe the solid branch extended too far behind the mirror and even with the mirror folded in it could not clear it and something had to give, so even at 10 mph the mirror would still have broken. The branch won because you smacked it full on rather than just clipping it.

Anyway too many ifs and buts and a good point made in previous post re two mirrors colliding and both giving way. In a court how can you prove you were only doing 40mph. How can you show what size the branch was. Can you show the branch did not extend over the mirror too far so mirror had no chance of survival anyway.

You may interpret "full protection" as any impact whatsoever at all speeds, I expect many will interpret as covers the full rear of mirror.

Maybe you have a claim against who was responsible for cutting the branch back if it was stil left extended across the road surface. This is a whole different kettle of fish. However I suspect you were just too close and there is only one person responsible for that.

I also suspect you are being conservative with your actual speed...prove you are not because that is what you will need to do in a court.

Move on, buy a new mirror, fit new covers and enjoy life and stop this nonsense of trying to blame others for an easy mistake of not seeing a branch sticking out, thanking your lucky stars it was not the side of your van which was damaged extensively.

globebuster - 2014-06-02 8:43 AM

I can't see anywhere on the Mirrorguard website where it makes any 'full protection' or 'no costly repair' statement quite as you suggest....

The wording you highlight is on the Mirrorguard homepage amongst the 'ticked' features.

http://www.mirrorguard.co.uk/

There's also the later statement that "... the current Mirror Guard design stands up to even the toughest of knocks ...",

http://www.mirrorguard.co.uk/aboutus.html

which I would have thought a mite optimistic.

Hi All,

After experiencing a 'bang' to the offside mirror when this van was very new,[ glass popped out but no breakage, I decided to invest in these mirrorguards and they look fine. The only way to know how good they are is to suffer a misfortune, which could be said about a few things concerning motorhomes.

They look fine on and are indeed MORE noticeable than the original black mirrors shrouds.

cheers

derek

I agree Derek - the statements are a mite optimistic.

The ticked features obviously cannot be substantiated.

However, there is nowhere [i can see] on the website which states definitively a guarantee of 'full protection' or 'no costly repair'

Common sense would dictate that fitting these may afford greater protection, but it would be naïve to assume that they will survive heavy impact.

As another poster noted - Movinon should be grateful that he incurred no significant damage the bodywork.

Had Enough - 2014-06-02 7:56 AM

If door mirrors clash on a narrow road I think that a Mirror Guard may well save your mirror from being damaged as both door mirrors have a spring-back facility which softens the blow, but striking a fixed object such as you did is a different kettle of fish.

If 2 identical vehicles hit each other travelling at the same speed then the effect on each vehicle is the same as hitting a solid object. In fact if the branch had some give in it that would be better then the 2 vehicle impact. Pedantic I know :'(

So some little guy comes along and provides a dam good and useful product and all some of us can do is knock it and him. We have them fitted and have had three or four incidents that may well have damaged the original rather brittle shells of the standard Fait mirrors. Don't want to fit them. Think they are rubbish. Fine don't but I reckon they are well made and robust and I'm certainly glad we have them on.

Just for the record if you get clipped by an impatient BMW estate car driver hard enough to bang the mirror back with an alarming bang don't worry blue BMW paint comes off just fine with a bit of polish!

Our local dealer who services our motorhome fits so many replacement mirrors that he tells me they keep three of each in stock.

In a small claims court I suspect they would address the issue as to what would be reasonably expected of the product. It does give a measure of protection, but if one drives into a solid object at speed, I don't think it would reasonably.survive.

Move on.

Alex makes a thought provoking point about vehicle legislation.

Fiat would have designed its vans to comply with appropriate legislation. Such legislation will also provide an element of protection to pedestrians who might be hit by the vehicle. I wonder whether adding Mirror Guards make the van less pedestrian friendly. Some of us will remember bull bars being banned on vehicles because of the damage they do.

My wife was hit by a metal wing mirror attached to a bus in Switzerland. Fortunately, the mirror hit her arm and 'all' she suffered was some mild bruising. I wonder how a child's head will feel after being battered by a Mirror Guard compared to an ordinary wing mirror which has some give. And yes I know motorhomers do not go around looking to collide with children.

Milenco says on its website that its mirror protector "Conforms to all Vehicle Safety Standards". Hmm.

Brock - 2014-06-02 1:10 PM

Fiat would have designed its vans to comply with appropriate legislation. Such legislation will also provide an element of protection to pedestrians who might be hit by the vehicle.

A problem arises, however, when Fiat et al supply chassis cabs to coachbuilders as they (Fiat) cannot know the final dimensions of the vehicles' bodywork.

As a case in point our Elddis had the medium length mirror yet was measurably in contravention of the Construction and Use Regulations as its mirrors extended more than 200mm beyond the widest point of the bodywork.

I'm sure that there are plenty more vans out there with the same problem and it could result in a tricky situation if ever a pedestrian was injured by a mirror.

Guest davidroxburgh

We bought a pair for our van soon after purchase in 2012.

When fighting my way through Rouen in ignorance of the Pont Mathilde debacle I whacked the corner of a French van turning off ahead of me. it was a hefty whack but although the mirror popped out despite the cracks it could be popped back and amazingly the Fiat mirror fittings and the Mirror Guards were fine save some paint marks.

So for me a good buy - and although the white I chose is a bit bright I also think it helps draw the eye to the width.

Archived