Insurance - don't groan

LordThornber

I would have tacked this onto the current thread but it's become unwieldy due to that long hyperlink 8-)

Renewal has arrived, same price as last year £335.

I've been on the blower and no one can get anywhere near, best was the same but no breakdown cover home or abroad, which we want.

One asked me about NCD, I explained that my renewal invite said I had nil entitlement. He said give your present insurer a call to explain that to you as you've never claimed on the van policy. I agree to this.

I had one car claim 3 years ago. So I ring them, and he explains that I don't accrue any NCD, it's like a classic car policy he says.

Hmm, onto the next victim, I explained to them what my present insurer had said, he seemed puzzled but again, couldn't get anywhere near with the price, in fact he was double.

I don't know whether to be delighted or not 8-)

Martyn

Guest JudgeMental

I think if the price is standing still you are doing very well...who is it?

I got my renewal through yesterday from Safeguard £489 about £40 more then last year (price of living in London I guess. Have not called them and cried yet so will probably come don a bit, they normally do. But they are so good and I am probably importing another van next month and they are very accommodating and easy to deal with.....

Guest Tracker
Ours with Safeguard was £336 last November and after some lower quotes online - can't recall where - followed by a bit of 'negotiating' with them I got a £55 cash back - I'm not quite sure how or why - but I just said 'thank you very much' and stopped talking! Cash back arrived a month ago exactly as promised!

I used to swear by 'Safeguard' until I bought the new van. Obviously with it being new I expected Insurance cost to be higher but there quote was £600. had a shop around and got same standard of cover for a little under £400. The only difference was I was covered for European Travel by Safeguard for 365 days and my new Insurer only 8 months. As I currently have no chance of spending that amount of time away it is of no significance so the more economical insurance provider it was.

I have insured 3 vehicles recently each one being more expensive than last year . When I have queried the costs each time I am told the same that the amount of uninsured drivers is rising rapidly and us the legal ones are paying for the uninsured . Once again because we choose to stay legal we are punished , it stinks

its still £60 cash back  for me as i get my son to pay for subscription lol i am from yorskshire you no . 

QUOTE]Bulletguy - 2011-03-14 6:21 PM

dshague - 2011-03-14 5:57 PM

mmm members  club subscribers offer safeguard 

£60 cash back

£41.99 to subscribe to MMM.......so £18.01 cash back. (lol)

Bulletguy - 2011-03-14 6:23 PM

Big Momma - 2011-03-14 6:20 PM

The only difference was I was covered for European Travel by Safeguard for 365 days and my new Insurer only 8 months.

And your 'new insurer is..............????

Caravan Guard and unfortunately have alrady had to make a claim after swinging out from my drive, misjudging the 'angle of dangle' and doing a fair bit of damage to the rear corner. However, claim dealt with very efficiently and repair conducted very quickly. Not looking forward to my renewal premium though :'(

Slightly off thread I know but my bike insurance runs out this month so thought I'd pre-empt the situation and 'go compare' My current insurer (Direct Choice) quoting on line with Equity Red Star was 22% more expensive than another broker (Bennets) quoting on......you've guessed Equity Red Star but the cheaper quote gave me 90 days European cover whereas current insurer gives me only 60.

I'm waiting for the phone call now with 'hello, shall we go ahead and renew the policy for another year as we're very competitive etc etc' to which I shall reply a resounding 'NO' and get a great deal of pleasure in informing them when they ask why!!

Mike

I used to swear by 'Safeguard' until I bought the new van. Obviously with it being new I expected Insurance cost to be higher but there quote was £600. had a shop around and got same standard of cover for a little under £400. The only difference was I was covered for European Travel by Safeguard for 365 days and my new Insurer only 8 months. As I currently have no chance of spending that amount of time away it is of no significance so the more economical insurance provider it was.

Does your new insurer cover you for European breakdown like safeguard? I've always thought this was worth the extra as if you add in 'Mayday' or similar it works out more expensive overall

Mike

Guest Tracker
Plus for a very modest extra charge Safeguard covered us comprehensive for a month (not recovery) in Morocco - when all of the others either would not or wanted megabucks for the extension!

antony1969 - 2011-03-14 6:32 PM

When I have queried the costs each time I am told the same that the amount of uninsured drivers is rising rapidly.....

The rise of uninsured drivers certainly isn't helped by companies quoting thousands to insure newly qualified young drivers with a car that's worth no more than a couple of hundred quid.

Mike B. - 2011-03-14 7:44 PM

Does your new insurer cover you for European breakdown like safeguard? I've always thought this was worth the extra as if you add in 'Mayday' or similar it works out more expensive overall

Mike

The UK Breakdown cover came as standard, had to add the European bit but still worked out cheaper *-)

LordThornber - 2011-03-14 4:57 PM

I had one car claim 3 years ago. So I ring them, and he explains that I don't accrue any NCD, it's like a classic car policy he says.

I have one policy like that, it doesn't accrue any NCD, but the price is around what I would expect to pay with full NCD

colin - 2011-03-14 10:09 PM

LordThornber - 2011-03-14 4:57 PM

I have one policy like that, it doesn't accrue any NCD, but the price is around what I would expect to pay with full NCD

Thanks for that Colin, I was concerned that my policy was some sort of oddity.

Martyn

LordThornber - 2011-03-14 6:34 PM

Hi Eddie, it's with Sureterm. I'm going to ring them to see if they can improve on it but I've not much leverage have I?

Martyn

I phoned Sureterm for a quote last year they won't insure vans over 40k without a tracker being fitted I said no thank you, then they kept phoning me for the next 3-4 weeks.

We are just about to take delivery of a new motorhome and when I went to switch the policy I was told our existing company would not continue the insurance as the value was too high. In panic I range round a few companies including the caravan club but to my surprise Saga came out most competitive for a fully comp policy with all the bells and whistles but not recovery as we already have this through the CC with Green Flag. Mileage is limited to 4999 miles per annum. Premium £319. If I had left off some of the bells and whistles it would have been £280.

Most impressive was the fact that the documentation was with me via e-mail in less than an hour enabling me to forward the Certificate to the dealer on line the same day.

Better service than I received, I rang SAGA for a quote and spoke to someone who could not provide answers to my questions and told me they would get someone to call me back.......that was nearly 12 months ago and still waiting *-) (Well actually I am not really waiting for the callback, now that would be sad)

Archived