Helping a fellow camper out

nightrider

Had a call this morning from a chap who had just bought his first caravan, he said he had a bit of a problem in that he could not get the van up his drive as his hedge was overgrown and he was frightened of scratching his van.

As it happened we were only five minutes away from his house, gave him a price which he accepted and we did the job right away, had a good chat about all things caravanning and had plenty cups of tea, makes the job all the more worthwhile.

Guest Tracker

Wouldn't want to meet you if our van was broken down Malc!

How much do you charge for the loan of jump leads then - and can I have a written quote first please!

It had never occured to me that helping others out could be profitable!

Tracker - 2011-03-14 8:23 PM

How much do you charge for the loan of jump leads then - and can I have a written quote first please!

In my defence Richard he did phone me up as a potential customer subject to price, discussing caravanning etc was secondary, when I told him I had a motorhome he said he would love one but could not afford one and that I must be filthy rich to afford one, I told him that it is a case of upgrading over the years to eventually get what you want.

If I came across anyone who had broken down I would do whatever I could to help taking into account my limited mechanical knowledge, thats why I am known as Knight of the road. (lol)

Guest peter

Capitalism is alive and well Richard. I think the clue is in this statement from Malc, " I live in a predominantly Jewish area".

I wonder how much the kind folk that have volunteered to go and help in Japan are asking for their services. :D

Guest Tracker
peter - 2011-03-14 8:38 PM

Capitalism is alive and well Richard. Why help someone out for nothing if you can make a few quid out of it. I wonder how much the kind folk that have volunteered to go and help in Japan are asking for their services. :D

Nothing I hope Peter - if I had suitable skills and could afford the time (which I can now that I'm too old to help) I would volunteer to go.

As it is I am fortunate enough to be able to contribute in other ways to help those poor people who have lost so much and suffered so much trauma.

It was humbling to see the Japanese people behaving in a such a calm and dignified manner having been so badly hurt.

malc d - 2011-03-14 9:46 PM

Was there any particular reason why he couldn't trim his own hedge ?

(?)

The hedge in question is 40' long, 8' high with a 6' wide spread at the top, our job is to reduce the height down to 4' and reduce the width to 2'.

Over the years wind blown seeds have germinated leading to sycamore saplings and holly bushes to establish themselves so we have to remove the "foreigners" and replant new privet stock in the gaps.

The customer tried having a go at it himself but using domestic type tools he was peeing in the wind, a job like this needs professional attention, the sheer amount of waste that will be created is enough to see any householder off.

knight of the road - 2011-03-15 4:32 PM

(?)

The hedge in question is 40' long, 8' high with a 6' wide spread at the top, our job is to reduce the height down to 4' and reduce the width to 2'.

Over the years wind blown seeds have germinated leading to sycamore saplings and holly bushes to establish themselves so we have to remove the "foreigners" and replant new privet stock in the gaps.

The customer tried having a go at it himself but using domestic type tools he was peeing in the wind, a job like this needs professional attention, the sheer amount of waste that will be created is enough to see any householder off.

Nah ... I could have done that.

I'd see it as a challenge.

( But then my name IS malc - and malcs can do anything can't they ;-) )

malc d - 2011-03-15 5:17 PM

(?)

Malc,

Out of curiosity can you tell me what equipment you would use for such a job?

knight of the road - 2011-03-15 5:45 PM

(?)

Malc,

No idea. I've never thought about it.

I should think I would need a chainsaw.

My usual practice is to ' look it up ' in a relevant book and get advice from those who have done it.

;-)

Malc,

Equipment, you mean you need equipment, I would have thought a step ladder stood on a few wooden pallets for a bit of extra height and a pair of secateurs :D :D No wonder you guys charge the earth, equipment, I ask you, the next thing you'll be saying that you need a skip to put it all in rather than a few of them there rubbish sacks *-) (lol)

pelmetman - 2011-03-15 5:27 PM

Think of all that firewood 8-) ...............Free heat free cooking :D +

Dave,

All the organic waste that we produce is put through a shredder and sold on for mulch, £3 for a bin full, can't be bad.

Any decent sized logs are cut to size and stored to dry out to keep me toasty warm in my workshop in the winter.

At this time of the year we are engaged in after winter cleanouts and lots of stuff comes to me which is again sold on, lots of people say can you get rid of this bush, that bush and the other bush without realising how much you would pay for them in a garden centre, we hook them out trim them up and repot them to be sold to other customers, surprising what people throw out, must be this consumer society that we live in, any surplus garden tools that the customer wants rid of are cleaned and oiled and end up on my fave site GUMTREE.

Big Momma - 2011-03-15 5:51 PM

Malc,

Equipment, you mean you need equipment, I would have thought a step ladder stood on a few wooden pallets for a bit of extra height and a pair of secateurs :D :D No wonder you guys charge the earth, equipment, I ask you, the next thing you'll be saying that you need a skip to put it all in rather than a few of them there rubbish sacks *-) (lol)

Skips, skips skips are you joking? have you seen the price that they want for a skip, no way Jose.

malc d - 2011-03-15 5:50 PM

(?)

Malc,

My usual practice is to ' look it up ' in a relevant book and get advice from those who have done it.

;-)

Do not play about with chainsaws, they are not toys and are very unforgiving on human flesh.

knight of the road - 2011-03-15 6:04 PM

malc d - 2011-03-15 5:50 PM

(?)

Malc,

;-)

Do not play about with chainsaws, they are not toys and are very unforgiving on human flesh.

There you are you see.

I've been given advice already, and will not now 'play about' with a chainsaw.

;-)

In his defence I have used a powerful professional petrol powered medium reach hedge trimmer to cut down and trim numerous hedges for friends in my area free of charge although I always leave them to deal with the trimmings. The equipment is not cheap the trimmer if bought now would cost some £600 and the new (one only of two) blade I have just fitted cost £84! Maybe I should start asking for a contribution in future>

Colin Leake - 2011-03-15 6:43 PM

In his defence I have used a powerful professional petrol powered medium reach hedge trimmer to cut down and trim numerous hedges for friends in my area free of charge although I always leave them to deal with the trimmings. The equipment is not cheap the trimmer if bought now would cost some £600 and the new (one only of two) blade I have just fitted cost £84! Maybe I should start asking for a contribution in future>

Colin,

If you lay out heavy money for equipment you are not out of order to make a charge, friendship is all well and good but some people can stretch that friendship into taking liberties, you just have to sort out the wheat from the chaff.

Guest pelmetman
knight of the road - 2011-03-15 5:57 PM

Dave,

All the organic waste that we produce is put through a shredder and sold on for mulch, £3 for a bin full, can't be bad.

Any decent sized logs are cut to size and stored to dry out to keep me toasty warm in my workshop in the winter.

At this time of the year we are engaged in after winter cleanouts and lots of stuff comes to me which is again sold on, lots of people say can you get rid of this bush, that bush and the other bush without realising how much you would pay for them in a garden centre, we hook them out trim them up and repot them to be sold to other customers, surprising what people throw out, must be this consumer society that we live in, any surplus garden tools that the customer wants rid of are cleaned and oiled and end up on my fave site GUMTREE.

Oh the joy of thrift :D

I once did a job for a pub chain replacing some orrible lace curtains on a pole with cafe curtains slotted on the original poles. Went to dump the stinking tabacco stained curtains and rings in the pub bin when the manager caught me and said bar waste only 8-)

So chucked them in the back of the van and as a non smoker they stunk *-) Driving home realised there was probably a 100+ brass rings (^)...... bought a couple litre bottles of cheap coke and when I got home burnt the curtains and put the rings in a bucket of coke :-D

A month or so later got an order to supply the same pub company for an order that in part needed 100+ plus brass rings at 93p each trade ;-)

I think thats called Karma B-)

Colin,

you seem to have some half decent hedge cutting gear, can't put you into the full decent gear category unless your hedge cutters are made by Stihl.

In his defence I have used a powerful professional petrol powered medium reach hedge trimmer to cut down and trim numerous hedges for friends in my area free of charge although I always leave them to deal with the trimmings.............. Maybe I should start asking for a contribution in future>

Yes and don't forget your public liability insurance and risk assessments, plus working at height certificates if you need to climb ladders.

Oh for a return to the days when we could just turn up and get on with the job.

knight of the road - 2011-03-16 7:42 AM

Colin,

you seem to have some half decent hedge cutting gear, can't put you into the full decent gear category unless your hedge cutters are made by Stihl.

For the record mines a Zenoah with their strato charged engine which more than the equal of the Stihl range in terms of power and performance but a bit on the heavy side for prolonged use especially for the likes of me who will be seventy in a few months time. I broke a tooth off the blade when I hit a 1" diameter dead branch the was as hard as iron. Ironically I must admit that if it had been from the much more common Stihl range I could have got a new blade for considerably less.

We also have a powerful professional Honda mower which I use to cut our lawns and a few others in the area.

knight of the road - 2011-03-15 8:21 PM

Colin,

If you lay out heavy money for equipment you are not out of order to make a charge, friendship is all well and good but some people can stretch that friendship into taking liberties, you just have to sort out the wheat from the chaff.

Problem is that we are as they say loaded and the hedges I cut tend to belong to the less wealthy and most often less than able bodied of the parish so there is no way I could have the brass neck to charge them. Besides I quite enjoy doing it and having a chat with them.

Archived