information needed on supermarket aires Spain

david1949

I am going to Spain soon for a Month and would like some imformation on

a supermarket called Mercadona in Torrevieja,. I was told by someone at a motorhome show last year in the U K that if i was ever going down to Torrevieja, Spain that i could stay free on the above

supermarket car park for a month and there was lots to do around the area . Has anyone stayed here and if so is it a good place to stay and is it save and are there any other Aires in Torrevieja,. that anyone knows off thanks

Vicarious books sell All the aires in spain and portugal, with LPG info. I was in torrevieja a couple of weeks ago although I did`nt see the mercadona supmkt I did pass a couple of sites one at Marjal and another at LaMarina I think, and the weather was great.

alan.

From what i have heard Supermarket carparks are the most high risk of all places to stay.

This came from the police down that coast who informed me that motorhomes are a prime target in Supermarket carparks.

They know that your van is likely to contain goodies they can sell, if not cash and passports and that you are likely to be in the shop for some time. Even if you don't leave the van you are sitting in the middle of their prime hunting ground and very conspicuous.

Not for me I'm afraid.

I have got no experience whatsoever of staying 'other than for shoping' in a Supermarket car park and to do so may well be convenient and trouble free and very much dependent on the individuals personal apetite for Risk.

As for safety and security. In my personal opinion the higher risk of theft of or from the vehicle would be during the day whilst the Supermarket is open. Lots of people about who are generally oblivious as to what is going on around them. How would anyone else in the car park know the rightful owner of the vehicle anyway so probably would not take a lot of notice (Unless someone was hurling a brick through the window or drilling out a lock *-)

Slightly different if you were on a Motorhome Aire where any visits by people, other than in Motorhomes, would attract attention.

Supermarket car parks may be handy for a short overnight stop en-route to somewhere else with the added convenience of re-stocking consumables, fuel, LPG etc (where available), but probably not the best place for a long term stop. BUT, each to their own ;-)

Personally I would avoid overnighting in a supermarket car park, especially in a tourist area.

Spain is no worse than anywhere else but there are many 'dodgy clients' that hang around supermarkets looking for opportunities and as said before a motorhome is a known source of valuables.

Stick to Aires, campsites or wildcamping in the company of others would be my advice :-D

Mercadona supermarkets are a big chain....they are all over Spain.

But I think your difficulty with the plan you've mentioned is that their car parks are private property...they own the land.

The law in Spain gives you the right to park up overnight in a MH anywhere that a car /other vehicle can also legally park up, so long as you don't "camp" (ie so long as you just stay/sleep inside the vehicle rather than getting the chairs/BBQ etc out. It also means that you mustn't allow any liquids to leave the MH....so don't drain even your grey water by the side of the road if parking in that spot overnight)

But that's of course on public roads/laybys/council carparks, NOT on privately owned land. Often their are security guards patrolling such private car prks/ buildings overnight, as well as local Police, and I suspect that they'll move you off that private land.....

By all means have a look at their car park when you get down here, but you may well find that it is easier to park up overnight in other quiet roads...particularly if you do so away from built-up areas, and away from the sea front.

Another option is to go into some of the local bars, and ask if you can park overnight in their car park....maybe in exchange for you buying a menu del dia meal, or a couple of beers....this can work if you are visiting out of peak season, and thus the bar wants all the trade that it can get, and their car park is almost empty anyway..........

Horses for courses of course, and no doubt I'll get shot by others for saying this, but personally I don't think the Torrevieja area is very nice at all.

If you really want to hug the coast rather than seeing the much better part of Spain which is the rest of the country, then the northern stretch of the Costa Blanca (say from Altea northwards to Gandia) and inland along that northern stretch too, is to my mind much less developed and much prettier than the massive concrete "ghettos" of sprawling housing estates south of Alicante, and the northern part is far more "Spanish".

Just a personal view.

BGD - 2011-03-15 11:23 AM

Horses for courses of course, and no doubt I'll get shot by others for saying this, but personally I don't think the Torrevieja area is very nice at all.

If you really want to hug the coast rather than seeing the much better part of Spain which is the rest of the country, then the northern stretch of the Costa Blanca (say from Altea northwards to Gandia) and inland along that northern stretch too, is to my mind much less developed and much prettier than the massive concrete "ghettos" of sprawling housing estates south of Alicante, and the northern part is far more "Spanish".

Just a personal view.

100% agree with this personal view there are some beautiful parts around Gandia including north of it, but each to their own B-)

Guest pelmetman

Have been to Torrevieja several times as father-in-law lives in the concrete jungle not far from there. What amazes me is all those thousands of houses/flats and they are nearly all empty, whenever we visit F-I-L its like a ghost town. I can't imagine anywhere worse to live.

Sorry gone slightly off topic, I found Torrevieja not too bad but wouldn't want to spend a holiday in the supermarket carpark, think you'll find quite a few unsavoury characters round there. I know I have always held tightly onto my handbag when there.

Agree with Bruce that it is much nicer along at Altea/Calpe area but as we all say everyone each to their own

Sue

OK thank,s for all your comments i will take them on board and move onto a campsite i talked to my brother this morning and he spoke to a friend who lives in Torrevieja,. and he shops at the supermarket he said that there is about 16 motorhomes parked up Dutch and German vans

and only 2 Brit and they all have been there about 5 weeks some leave in the morning and back at might . My brothers friend is going to sort me out with a campsite near his villa

david1949 - 2011-03-15 1:57 PM

OK thank,s for all your comments i will take them on board and move onto a campsite i talked to my brother this morning and he spoke to a friend who lives in Torrevieja,. and he shops at the supermarket he said that there is about 16 motorhomes parked up Dutch and German vans

and only 2 Brit and they all have been there about 5 weeks some leave in the morning and back at might . My brothers friend is going to sort me out with a campsite near his villa

If, as you say, there are already 16 Motorhomes there, then I would think that much like using an Aire, there would be an element of safety in numbers. However, worthy to note that they move during the day and only return at night.

Hi, I think that the carpark you are thinking of is at Orihuela Costa,Signed as playa Flamenca between km51 and 52 on the N332 Its next to a Police station and a Mercadonna supermarket but not owned by them. Its very large and surrounded by wasteland and used mainly by local workers during the day.

I hope that this helps

Colin

Hi there

Yes Nomad is correct I've used this car park a couple of times. It is convenient to the main road and is on a car park next to the Mercadona parking. Possible to "dump" there in a Sanamiento. and occassionally water is available from a pipe in the corner - however another camper told me police had said not to do this. Police tour by from time to time but seem disinterested. There is a local market on a weekday (cant recall which day).

My view - OK for a rest going North or South but 2 days at most. Seen Dutch and Germans there on my passing North and South and they seem to be almost permanent fixtures.

Moved off in day down to beach - quite nice but that's all it has. !

Happy travels

Yes i as i said my brother friend who lives not to far away said they were there all the time some leave in the morning and come back at might he rang my brother last night to say he has me sorted out with a campsite he also said that there is a Dutch man there with a Hymer A class and 4 big

rottweilers dogs chained up outside and every time you walk pass they make a run for you and show you there teeth they would scare the life out of you he told the brother he had been to the police about the dogs but they did not want to know.

Yes i as i said my brother friend who lives not to far away said they were there all the time some leave in the morning and come back at might he rang my brother last night to say he has me sorted out with a campsite he also said that there is a Dutch man there with a Hymer A class and 4 big

rottweilers dogs chained up outside and every time you walk pass they make a run for you and show you there teeth they would scare the life out of you he told the brother he had been to the police about the dogs but they did not want to know.

• 1 year later...

Archived