electrolux 212 fridge

Guest a p russell

Guest a p russell
Hi have just bought an old Navajo Motorhome which has an Electrolux 212 fridge in it, unfortunately the knob is missing with the 240v/12v and off marks on it. We have figured out that 240v is at the top ,has anyone got one of these so that they can tell me where the off and 12v positions are please.

Guest Frank Gordon
I had hoped that a manual could be downloaded from the Dometic website (www.dometic.com) - unfortunately this does not seem possible, though you may be able to get one if you e-mail the company. Based on past forum inquiries about fridge problems it appears there are plenty of 212 models still in use, so it's surprising (and a mite disappointing) that you've had no feedback as to how the controls on your fridge operate. (The 212 is before my time, so I can't offer any practical assistance.) Logically, if the control knob has only 3 positions and you've deduced which one selects 240V, then there's a 50/50 chance of guessing right what the other 2 positions do. Assuming the fridge is working OK, if you drive the motorhome with the fridge switched to one of the 'unknown' positions and it cools down, then that's the 12V one: and, if it doesn't cool down, try the other position. Definitely a lot simpler though to pop into a caravan dealer who sells older models and ask about this as they are bound to know.

Guest a p russell
many thanks for your advice, i will ring around and see if I can track down a dealer who may have a model of the 212 fridge in an older caravan cheers Alex

hi mr russel cheryl here i have photos of my fridge if that is a help just give your email address and i can send i dont think you can put them on the forum

Guest Frank Gordon
Alex: On another forum I asked for information on the Electrolux 212 fridge's control system. Coincidentally (Ain't it always the way!), a kind gentleman has just provided me with the following description of the system used on his fridge that he says is a RM 212F model. "The 'F' of the RM 212F may indicate a small difference somewhere - possibly with the gas ignition system. The ignition system used on my fridge involves a tumbler-switch that operates an electronic 12V-powered gas-igniter that, when left in the 'ON' position, causes the gas to be re-lit automatically if the flame gets blown out. However the instruction book shows the older manual press-button Pietzo ignition system. If you look at the front of the control-panel area near the top of the fridge, on the far left is the gas ignition-button/switch mentioned above. Next rightwards is the combined gas-control and flame-failure device - this knob turns through indicator-marks O(OFF), 1, 2, or 3. Press the knob inwards initially to allow gas to flow until the failsafe system is hot enough for the gas-flame to stay alight on its own. Next along is the electric thermostat (220/240 Volts) knob, numbered 0 through 8. On the rightmost end of the control panel is The Voltage Selector Switch, a simple three-position tumbler-switch. The top position selects 240V operation and the bottom position selects 12V operation. The central position is OFF and this is the position to select when running the fridge on gas." I believe the last paragraph answers your question. (My latest reply to Cheryl's posting of 13/01/2006 may also be helpful to you.)

Guest A P Russell
Hi Frank hopefully this is the answer, the 212 fridge we have is slightly different, the gas controls are the same and in the same position, far left of the control panel at the top of the fridge, but it differs slightly with the electric controls, as where your electric thermostat is, this is our Voltage selecter knob (or should I say where it should have been) and our thermostst is where you described your voltage selector is. But I think the selector may still read the same as we have already sussed that 240v is at the top same as yours,so hopefully the Off will be in the middle and 12v at the bottom. many thanks for your help alex

Archived