High Tops versus Coachbuilts

Alexx

Hi Alexx,

We used to have a car and a panel van conversion but then our son wrote off the car - he was OK!!

After a few months of using our pvc as our only vehicle we decided that it was a practical proposition. That was over five years ago and we still have just the one vehicle.

Yes, it is a little awkward sometimes but we tend to shop ‘out of town’ so can usually park easily. We use public transport if we need to go into the city. If the occasion arises when only a car will do (for example at our son’s wedding) then we hire one.

We cover about 10,000 miles a year but and this is the crux for us, 7,000 miles of that is touring Europe and UK weekends away. So for the sake of 3,000 miles we save the cost of taxing, insuring and maintaining a second vehicle.

An important consideration for us when deciding on which pvc, was to be able to drive, eat and sit comfortably with the beds made. This is something that many coachbuilts don’t allow and of course most of the shorter pvc’s – ours is very nearly 6 metres.

I don’t envy you your decision, Alexx. We in effect were able to sample both scenarios and so were able to make a decision based on experience.

Cattwg :-D

Hi Alexx

We have our second compact coachbuilt M/H.

The previous one was a Karmann Gypsy. A lovely van on T25 VW. We kept it until it was almost 20 years old, having owned it for six years.

On a number of occasions we were approached by owners of M/Hs who wished they had purchased something of a similar size as they found the larger M/H they owned inhibited their enjoyment. That they did not use it so much because of its size.

We could get away with using our current M/H as an only vehicle as we are within walking distance of a parade of shops and a bus route.

As you live in Denmark, you will be able to use your bicycle for many journeys, I was astonished at the racks for cycle parking down the high streets. Here I would be risking my life as there not even footpaths on our bendy country roads and the cars exceed the speed limit most of the time.

Joyce

I think the other posts have pointed out most of the pros and cons of coachbuilts against van conversions.

What I haven't seen, however is anyone pointing out the potential advantage of going for one of the coachbuilt versions generally termed "vans".

I'm thinking about something like the Hobby Van (mine would be too long for an everyday vehicle, but there are shorter ones), the Dethleffs Globebus, etc.

Choose the correct version of these and you get something roughly as wide as a van conversion (and narrower than normal coachbuilts), and also potentially at the requisite 6m length.

A transverse bed over a garage at the rear, (better than an overcab bed IMO), low profile therefore better handling and fuel consumption, and better insulated than a High Top if you're looking at winter use.

Frankly, if you lean towards a coachbuilt rather than a high-top, these "vans" are largely a German invention, so readily available to you and worth a look before you leap.

It may be that a 6m lwb panel van conversion is not as manouvreable as a coachbuilt of a similar length, which could be on a medium wheelbase. A lot of long wheelbase panel vans are a lot longer than your average parking space and need a really large turning circle.

Sorry, just realised Mel B had already mentioned this...... :$

josie gibblebucket - 2011-03-21 10:25 PM

It may be that a 6m lwb panel van conversion is not as manouvreable as a coachbuilt of a similar length, which could be on a medium wheelbase. A lot of long wheelbase panel vans are a lot longer than your average parking space and need a really large turning circle.

Sorry, just realised Mel B had already mentioned this...... :$

For x250, turning circle between kerbs is 15% greater for LWB compared to MWB. Turning circle between walls varies depending on overal lenght of rear overhang of coachbuilt, but is generaly easier in PVC as there is little overhang to swing out.

... just to say again that we are very grateful for all the advice given and experience shared ...

We have done a Mel B type 'list of journeys' and the facts that we will be retired, that we live deep in the Danish countryside and that we definitely want to winter camp are leading us toward the sub (just) 6 meter EuraMobil Profila. Tracker and pelmetman's experience plus others' comment that under 6 meters one can cope with a coachbuilt as a sole vehicle are also persuasive.

dragonflyer

Yes, I think the Wingamm Micro is the closest to the best PVC/coachbuilt compromise and if we could afford one (Danish taxes!) and if more were available (very few on mobile.de) it would be top of our list. Whereas there are masses of cheap (pre Danish tax) ex-rental Profilas in Germany.

So. Thanks all again. When we are bona fide 'owners' of something we'll post revealing our choice!?

Alexx

Archived