The first charge

dawki

Hi all

Just got my new batteries, can someone tell me if it is best to charge them with a traditional charger off the van to start with or just stick them on the van charger.

Just that I seem to remember reading something like that on here before?

Cheers

Dawki

It really depends on the type of charger you are proposing to use.

If your chargers are 'low tech' (limited to, say, 13.8 Volts), then you won't get a full initial charge in your batteries. If the chargers are 'high tech' (going up to over 14V, with a sophisticated 'stepped' charging regimen), then you should get a better initial charge.

If you've got a powerful modern charger that you can use to charge your new batteries before you fit them in the motorhome, then I suggest you use that rather than the motorhome's own on-board charger. But that's just a gut-feeling suggestion as I don't know what charger your Auto-Trail has.

(Aren't your batteries already charged?)

Just stick them in the van, let the van charger bring them up to it's max, even if it as older charger that only gets to 13.8v when you drive the van the split charger will give them a full charge. After the initial charge just go for a long run in the van.

lennyhb - 2011-03-18 9:21 AM

Just stick them in the van, let the van charger bring them up to it's max, even if it as older charger that only gets to 13.8v when you drive the van the split charger will give them a full charge. After the initial charge just go for a long run in the van.

Sorry but that is just a waste of expensive diesel, however it is a great excuse to have a day out in the van and enjoy a trip somewhere so I am all for it. :-)

dawki - 2011-03-18 1:45 PM

the Van Has A EC325 charger sounds quite Hi tec but cant see what the max it will charge the batteries up to.

cheers

Dawki

Presumably a Sargent EC325 system.

It has a 325 watt multistage charger. Final charge voltage will depend on if you select flooded or Gel, so lets just say 14.4 volts for flooded.

Don't know how hi tech it is? Its hi tech.

Just shove your batteries in the van and switch on hook up. Oh and select on the EC325 what kind of batteries you have, flooded or or Gel. Presumably no change from what you had.

Put the kettle on and have a cup of tea.

Brambles - 2011-03-18 3:48 PM

dawki - 2011-03-18 1:45 PM

the Van Has A EC325 charger sounds quite Hi tec but cant see what the max it will charge the batteries up to.

cheers

Dawki

Presumably a Sargent EC325 system.

It has a 325 watt multistage charger. Final charge voltage will depend on if you select flooded or Gel, so lets just say 14.4 volts for flooded.

Don't know how hi tech it is? Its hi tech.

Just shove your batteries in the van and switch on hook up. Oh and select on the EC325 what kind of batteries you have, flooded or or Gel. Presumably no change from what you had.

Put the kettle on and have a cup of tea.

Even i can manage that.

many thanks

Archived