Plastic Rear Moulding Repair

darcywick

I had the missfortune to damage the offside rear plastic moulding on my motorhome ( several splits).

I would like to bring to the attention of forumn members that this type of damage can be repaired.

I contacted the local Chipsaway operator who said he would carry out the necessary work.

The panel is now as good as new and was a very cost efectve way of having it repaired instead of having a new moulding fitted.

Guest Peter James
I have welded plastic mouldings with a soldering iron. Looks a bit messy but if you can take them off and do them on the inside it doesn't show. Main thing is it stops the crack getting any worse.

Guest JudgeMental
there was a new product on advert on TV? some kinda putty for small jobs.....But its the painting that makes the differnce, and these pros tend to know their stuff.....

Hi, I backed into a dirt bank on our first excursion with our Compass Avantgarde 145 and split the rear bumper along the top, (about a three foot gash) and down the off side a gash about two foot. The top, I used a heated glue gun with white glue and finished it off with a "heat gun". The heat gun made the glue run and flattened it.This about ten months ago and is still alright,not perfect. The side, I used clear reinforced fiber glass tape which is still in place.It certainly could be better, but until someone runs into us and I can claim on their' insurance it will do. "A" (yes I know that we in the "club" do not do the above, but at over three hundred pounds for a new bumper it seems logical)

Guest peter
JudgeMental - 2011-03-18 12:26 PM

there was a new product on advert on TV? some kinda putty for small jobs.....But its the painting that makes the differnce, and these pros tend to know their stuff.....

That's epoxy putty Eddie. you can get it for a quid a stick in pound shops. Not the rip off £5.99 they are advertising on the box.

hi,

tell me folks are these repairs to ABS, Fibreglass or both ? I believe the mouldings on my Autocruise are ABS, and a repair 'route' would be an Interesting alternative to searching for (probably non-existant) replacements. Ray

I trimmed off some of the excess plastic under the wheel archs, disolved it in acetone to make a filler/adhesive and worked very well. I reinforced the back of the cracks with fibreglass tape and used Pipe solvent adhesive from Marley. Repair has survived well. The join I touched in very carefully with a close matching touch up paint for cars.

Archived