Touring Lincoln

Pc Plod

Hi All,

We are visiting the Lincolnshire coast next week (Monday) starting in Boston and ending in sunny Cleethorpes. Any tips on campsites and places of interest would be appreciated, we are both good walkers and enjoy the great outdoors(weather permitting).

Regards

Harry

Guest pelmetman

Well it rather depends on what you like, if you like kiss me quick hats and candy floss and chips there is Skegness, If you want all the fun of the fair then Butlins or Fantasy Island at Ingoldmells.

As for walking Gibraltar Point in Skeg is a nature reserve, Donna Nook is well known as a seal breading ground, not sure if its the right time of year to see them, the best walking is up in the wolds.

A little way inland from the coast are some really nice small towns

Louth is a lovely old fashioned town full of independant shops and some award winning butchers.

Spilsby is a smaller version of Louth.

Alford has a charming Thatched manor house and has several music events through out the year, as for shops not a lot left and is struggling a bit in that department.

On the coast Maplethorpe has a nice prom, which we prefer to Skeggy ;-)

As for campsites there are loads from the all singing all dancing to quiet CL's :D

Guest Peter James

Lincolnshire coast is great for cycling if its not too windy. I soon got fed up of walking because its so flat with everything so far apart. You used to be able to ride right from Skegness to Mablethorpe as I recall, along the concrete sea defences, flat either side so you can see a very long way. Shocking how low the endless 'mobile' home sites are, right down at sea level. You can't ride far north of Skeg now because they've officially closed the bit along the golf course - 'elf and safety in case anyone gets hit by a ball. This has caused some consternation locally. Lots of walkers climbing round the barriers and ignoring the ban. I guess the best stretch for cycling now would be starting at Mablethorpe and riding south.

Still good if your not cycling though. Being flat its more spread out, wider roads so parking is easier. Church Farm Museum in Skegness is well worth a visit. Plenty of space to park a motorhome, and its all free http://www.bing.com/local/details.aspx?lid=YN1077x197711815&qt=yp&what=church+farm+museum&where=Skegness%2c+Lincolnshire&s_cid=ansPhBkYp02&mkt=en-gb&FORM=LARE

Correct me if I am miss imformed , but I seem to reacall there was talk of the Farm Museum closing. There are some really nice places along the Lincs coast there is the nature reserve at Gibralta Point south of Skeggy and lots of other places to stop off along the coast right up to Donna Nook where at the right time of year you can see the seals at close quarters. I believe there is room to park along the sea front along near Saltfleetby as well.

Guest Tracker

Is Donna Nook still an RAF range? If so you can probably watch Tornados, F15s, F16s, Eurofighter Typhoon - a very impressive and exceedingly noisy beast - and sometimes helicopters in action at certain times?

If not it is a nice quiet spot and you used to be able to park up overnight in the car park but that, I think, may have been stopped now?

Guest pelmetman
Yes Rich, it is still a RAF range and I think they use the baby seals as target practice :D ...............................................................One part of that statement was a joke :D

Tracker - 2011-03-18 8:04 PM

Is Donna Nook still an RAF range? If so you can probably watch Tornados, F15s, F16s, Eurofighter Typhoon - a very impressive and exceedingly noisy beast - and sometimes helicopters in action at certain times?

If not it is a nice quiet spot and you used to be able to park up overnight in the car park but that, I think, may have been stopped now?

I think you would get a very loud early morning call now, Tornado's from RAF Conningsby doing sorties up & down the coast today. Presuably last minute exercises before deploying for Libyan duty. :D

Lincolnshire is not all FLAT, we have some bumps once you get north of Boston.

Good walking just inland from coast around Alford, Louth, Tealby, Caistor, etc..

Plus sections of the Viking Way (Barton on Humber to Oakham - Rutland) has short circular routes, especially Caistor to Nettleton to Walesby (for Ramblers Church.) to Tealby.

Call into local TIC for walking routes.

We did not go this season, but you may not be too late to see some Seals at Donna Nook.

Guest Peter James
flicka - 2011-03-18 10:25 PM

(Barton on Humber .

I like Barton Too. Seemed like going back 50 years to see free unrestricted car parks everywhere. Nice spot parking down by the Humber bridge by the old ropery where the big new countryside wetlands centre is. Footpath over the Humber Bridge (although again better for cycling as its a long way and you see as much on a bike) Again all free...

Humber Bridge must have been the last one built before Thatcher privatised everything and all the ones built after that had no footpaths to save money and increase profits. But don't get me started on politics *-)

Guest peter

Skegness is not all kiss me quick hats, it's actually quite nice. With good flower beds all over the place and good beach. In my opinion Mablethorpe is not worth visiting. Run down and tatty.

Chapel St Leonards is also quite nice, quiet beach and you can park in the shoreside Caf'e car park for a while if you pop in for a cuppa or what have you. big car park and no height barriers. Good fishing as well.

Then there is Woodhall spa, nice place, which also has sites.

Guest Peter James

Yes Mabelthorpe town is looking a bit run down I agree. Still looking good just south of there, Mablethorpe park and lake down to Sutton On Sea though. the only place on the coast I found parking particularly difficult was Ingoldmells. Massive new funfairs, markets etc, without the roads and parking to service it.

Since most of the market stalls appeared to offer good value I was surprised and disgusted to see the mock auction still going on Ingoldmells market last year. The landlords could afford to kick those b@stards out. Its not as though the landlords need the money >:-) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mock_auction

I went through Mablethorpe and couldn't believe such a place existed.  I appreciate that different people seek different things from a holiday but if you want the very worst of a British seaside with lots of fast food, slot machines and kiss me quick, you'll love it.

The place even manages to make Blackpool look inviting . . . . but worth a look if you're in the area just out of curiosity . . . . but keep the doors and windows locked!! 

Not sure what sort of sites you might prefer, but here are a few ideas.

Pilgrim Way Caravan and Camping Park at Fishtoft near Boston, nice family site.

Orchard Holiday Park, Hubberts Bridge, Boston Adults only. Brilliant amenities, Nice site

A quiet site between Skegness and Spilsby is Meadowlands. Adults only

Skegness Water Leisure Caravan Park. near Butlins and Ingoldmells.

Two CS's in Chapel St Leonards within walk of the village are Oaklands and the Ship Inn.

A really nice site at Tattershall is Tattershall Lakes Country Park.

At Metheringham is a nice site which has old airplanes on the site.

Parking along the coast is available for motorhomes with not many height barriers but can be expensive.

Chapel St Leonards £5

Skegness £7

I would not bother with Mablethorpe

Between Chapel and Sutton on Sea along the coast are several car parking areas with nice walks and free parking.

Enjoy Lincolnshire

Hi All,

Thankyou for all of your comments and a special thankyou to Petra for

your extra info. The recommended sites info is a great help.

Regarding safety when parked up, when i retired my trusty 4 legged friend

also retired with me and he is a great asset when left on his own in the van with a certain command.

He is also a big softy,trust me he is!

Regards

Harry

If you want to visit Lincoln then there is Hartsholme Country Park which has a campsite and is situated about 2 miles out of town and on a bus route into the centre. We have the cathedral and castle if you are interested in that sort of history and also the Magna Carta.

If you need any more campsites then there is the Camping and Caravan Club site at West Lake which we have used many moons ago and is OK for an overnight stop! I live in Lincoln so if you need any more info then please feel free to ask and I will try to help!

Guest pelmetman

Probably a bit late now but unless it is set in stone for you starting your tour of Lincolnshire in Boston, Stamford is a beautiful place to visit, very different to anywhere else you will find in Lincolnshire, more like a town in the Cotswolds.

Parts of Lincolnshire are very flat and unless you like cabbages and swedes I would give the Fens a miss. Boston is OK but is a pain with all its traffic lights and is inclined to be busy and full of foreigners.

My Dave mentioned Mablethorpe which is OK for a walk along the prom but yes the town is dreadfully run down and pretty grotty.

Chapel St Leonards beach is much quieter and on a nice day we often go for a walk with Troy.

Have a nice break.

Sue

Pc Plod - 2011-03-18 5:31 PM

Hi All,

We are visiting the Lincolnshire coast next week (Monday) starting in Boston and ending in sunny Cleethorpes. Any tips on campsites and places of interest would be appreciated, we are both good walkers and enjoy the great outdoors(weather permitting).

Regards

Harry

Are you members of the caravan club? if you are theres a nice site called Oldcote farm CL on sea lane at Huttoft, near Sutton on Sea

Archived