Middle England Shires Tour

Brock

I fancy having a wander around the shires, perhaps from my home on the Wirral to Cambridgeshire, across to Gloucestershire and then back up to Cheshire. Or perhaps the other way around.

Have a 5 day holiday and a 10 day holiday coming up and not sure which I'd use. I'd welcome suggestions on such a tour.

Its quite a lot of driving for a 5 day tour, you won't have much time to see any of the areas you're visiting. You could easily spend 10 days in any one of your identified counties so why not pick just one and spend more time there, then next time out in the UK do another one?

D.

For what it's worth, we've just done a similar tour, but obviously starting from a different location.

We spent 2 nights at Townsend touring park in Herefordshire, 3 nights over at Ferry Meadows, Cambridgeshire and then 2 nights at Moreton in Marsh, Gloucestershire.

Around 600 miles round trip, but we had enough time to cycle over 135 miles during that time, enjoying some of the best English countryside and also spent 3 afternoons with our new darling grand-daughter, which was the main reason for going away in the first place, really.

Do what you can and enjoy it. :-)

If you want to enjoy the trip and not just spend time eating the miles then forget 5 days. You could do it justice in 10 days and their are plenty of good sites. Take a look at the CC and also the C&CC but also go onto the UK Sitefinder site, lots of good private sites about.

• 4 months later...

Finally did a tour over 10 days. Wirral to Ashbourne to Great Yarmouth to Moreton in Marsh and back. 15 counties/metropolitan areas. Driving was limited to changing sites and was mainly over rural roads. Most of the time on site we walked to wherever we were visiting.

Great Yarmouth was a wonderfully pleasant surprise. What a great seaside resort for a family holiday.

Interesting to be in the shires amongst some wonderful people in great surroundings when the riots were going on in the cities.

Glad you got away,especially as you had even more time to enjoy yourself.

I think it's sad that lots of people miss out on the glory of the English shires when hammering up and down motorways.

I always to prefer taking the rural roads and do my utmost to make time and appreciate the sights, sounds and indeed smells of our glorious countryside.

Archived