spare wheel,jack,and wheelbrace

murphy99

hi new members living in france just taken delivery 2011 hymer van 562 no spare wheel which optional extra - dealer slow to quote for. any members able to help with approx. price please.? also thought that jack and wheelbrace would be standard but missing.! any help appreciated please.

We have bought a couple of motorhomes in France and on each handover the dealer has had a check list which he goes through with you ,showing you how the items listed work and are working.At the end of the handover the dealer gives you this check list to sign that he has shown you everything.There should be a Jack and Brace in the vehicle.Speak with the dealer about this

Does anyone own a Hymer Van 562 and know the payload for this model ? I believe Murphy 99 was told by his dealer that the reason a spare tyre is not provided is a weight issue. I realise that spare tyres have now become "extras" as I had to pay 233 euros for a spare on a "not cheap" Frankia.

But would a spare compromise the payload ?

Hi Thanks for that. Unable to go to handover myself due to health problem. My wife Julie did this and whilst the Dealer did go through check list Spare, jack, and brace not covered.! Have sent 3 X emails with no reply to date.! Will telephone next week if no reply. As friend reports the Dealer said Spare not included as a weight issue. To be fair to Dealer we got what we paid back in 2003 for our Hymer B 584 C in PX, and we got him to include lots of extras inc 85 cm auto parabol, TV, and more.

For me, if paying upwards of £50,000 I expect to get a spare wheel, jack and wheelbrace included or 'No Sale'. And I move on to another Dealer until I DO get them. The one 'Good' thing about this recession is that Customers with 'Real' cash to spend are in short supply. They either adapt to that situation or they lose sales and 'Go under' simple law of supply and demand.

So, go and Demand. good luck ! Ray

Really dont bother with the offerings from the dealer as they are not fit for purpose as you need to buy a proper hydraulic bottle jack and a star wheelbrace and a torque wrench to do the job nicely.

Wheels shoukld always be checked after running a bit and should be carried.

I have checked many others and found a lot that were in danger of coming loose.

Sorry, just read your reply above, and see that you are not in a situation to do as i suggested.

I still believe that a spare wheel should be 'standard' on ALL new vehicles, cars, 4x4's and vans/motorhomes. especially as their new cost doesn't reflect their omission. Ray

Agree with that and last Hymer came with spare, jack and brace but not this one. Friend Ian said things changed last 3 years and spare no longer included as he had to buy for his Frankia and Dagenham domestic dust cart.!! Sorry Ian.!!

murphy99 - 2011-03-19 5:45 PM

Correction Lunch next Weds St Severin not Chalais but been to excellent Restaurant The Chateau at Chalais a couple of times.!

Just to clarify this for anyone reading and doesn't understand, Murphy99 lives not far from us and we exchanged PMs but got put in the wrong place. Sorry folks.

Keith, you didn't buy your Hymer at Horizon, Eysines, Bordeaux did you? If you did, don't expect a reply to your email, I have sent two emails in the last 2 weeks and still not got a reply. If it was Horizon then try Jeremy on 05 56 05 05 05 his English isn't bad, or you could go the the free Buffet next Friday that they are giving.

Hi Randonneur. No we bought it at Brault Loisir near Angouleme which nearest Hymer Dealer we could get any sense from. That was before we completed the sale.! Now we chasing them with emails like you. I think it just the French way and like the Admin system can drive one mad.!! On the other hand the Health system as I found out during the last 4 years has to be best in the World.! Plus everything else here the very best in our view so small price to pay.

Keith

murphy99 - 2011-03-19 10:55 AM

Hi Thanks for that. Unable to go to handover myself due to health problem. My wife Julie did this and whilst the Dealer did go through check list Spare, jack, and brace not covered.! Have sent 3 X emails with no reply to date.! Will telephone next week if no reply. As friend reports the Dealer said Spare not included as a weight issue. To be fair to Dealer we got what we paid back in 2003 for our Hymer B 584 C in PX, and we got him to include lots of extras inc 85 cm auto parabol, TV, and more.

Hi Murphy

I would be seriously worried if a Dealer told me a spare wheel is not included because of the weight issue.

But the Hymer Van 562 is shown as a 2 berth & having a payload of 670kg., which is more than adequate for a 2 berth.

So I suspect some porky pies or lack of actual knowledge from your Dealer, here.

IMO you need to check what the stated payload is & then confirm it by going to over a weighbridge.

Hi Flicka. Thanks for that. Have mixed feelings about the Dealer as apart from the spare/jack/brace issue they fitted wrong size parabol, TV without DVD as agreed,no bike rack as agreed,and tried twice to hike price by c € 2.500.!! This could have been genuine mistake as we had original quote for Air Con which would account for difference. As friend Whisturx points out it usual last 3 years for Spare not to be included as he had to buy for both his Frankia Van and his Fiesta. The Dealer gave us a good PX price and having approached several others who so laid back they could not even say when they would be able get this model, we went with Brault Loisirs. You have to get used to this in France or go mad. Artisans say Mon 9.0 am and turn up 3 weeks later on Thursday if you lucky.!!

We looked at a Fleurette in Brault and it was very overpriced, they can charge basically what they want as they have no other dealer within a decent driving distance from them. This is why we usually go to a dealer in Sainte Eulalie as there are about 6 of them so competition is high. The reason we used Horizon for our previous van was that a Friend of ours used to work for them.

It think the only solution is to go to Brault and demand that they supply what was ordered, I know that this is easy to say if your French is good, but we did the same last week with ours and it paid dividends even though our French isn't great we got our point across.

Hi Randonneur. Thanks for that. All other issues sorted before we parted with our €. Just spare/jack/brace now. If necessary will get a bottle jack and brace from Norauto or Feu Vert so just the spare that an issue. May ask local Garage for help as we will have to pay anyway. No problem with French as Julie 's very good while I'm almost fluid.!!

All this spare wheel talk reminds me of a joke.

Businessman driving to office gets a puncture outside Nut House. Gets spare from boot jacks up wheel removes nuts and puts in cover. Treads on it and nuts go down the drain.! Scratching head when inmate leans over wall and suggests he take 1 nut off each of other wheels and use these 3 to get to Garage. He does this thanks the guy and say's " when you get out if you need work here's my card give me a ring ". As he getting into car to drive off a brick hits his head and he staggers bleeding to the wall where inmate stood.

Looks up and inmate says " you won't forget will you " !! Sorry Keith

Dave Newell - 2011-03-20 2:36 PM

Many motorhomes are now being supplied minus a spare wheel, if that is the case then there is little point in supplying a jack and wheelbrace :-S .

D.

Now thats food for thought. How many motorhomers would change a wheel to the spare if they had one, surely most would call the breakdown service, that would be the sensible thing to do, even though they are quite capable of doing the job. These vehicles are very heavy so need to be handled with care. We had new tyres on our previous motorhome and the nuts were tightened so much I couldn't even budge them.

Hi Dave. Thanks for that. Just very nervous about not having a spare as never been without before. What happens if you shred a tyre as friend Ian pointed out.? Never used the type of Repair kit provided either but assume it does the job. Do you carry a spare.? !!

Keith

Archived