Satnav in France

Ken Ashurst

After years of navigating thro' France with old technology (maps) we've decided to argue with a satnav rather than each other. Funds dictate a modestly priced unit as an upcoming precautionary cambelt change has limited our options. All satnavs that tick the other boxes nowadays seem to have the ability to highlight speed cameras - a facility I can live without. Is this a problem in France? I understand that such detection devices are illegal there and that police can confiscate units even if the facility isn't in use. Is this urban myth and is there a solution other than a basic device capable of very little? I don't have a smartphone so reference to to an app probably won't help.

I'm looking forward to your guidance folks.

Ken

Hi Ken and welcome. We have a very basic MyGuide Sat Nav. It has a 4.3 " screen which is great for a large vehicle like a 'van, a small screen can get "lost" in amongst all that glass.

It has full European mapping - no bells and whistles though, it has done us proud and all for the princely sum of £59.

Here's a newer version for £45.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/My-Guide-3100-UK-%26-Western-Europe-Touch-Screen-Sat-Nav-_W0QQitemZ170536905162QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=219149187202&rvr_id=219149187202&cguid=8d01a3c912e0a47a26d1cc81ff701c42

Martyn

My TOM TOM works very well in France and TOM TOM can be bought very cheaply now with mapping for Europe included, I think you are getting confused with scanners that detect Speed Cameras [ Safety Cameras ] the warnings on sat navs are not the same thing, Camera warnings on Sat Navs are a point of interest item and points of interest on the TOM TOM can be deleted easily if this is a worry to you.

Whilst radar (speed camera) detector devices are illegal throughout most of Europe, and in many cases posession alone is an offence, there is (AFAIK)nowhere in Europe that posession of a Satnav device that is capable of of holding databases of fixed camera positions is illegal.

In most countries it is also not an offence to use a database to warn of such fixed cameras, but be aware that it is worthwhile checking the rules before you use it in any country.

The only one where I know that currently the use of a database is illegal is Germany (though many devices have a database for Germany available, including my German-marketed device!).

FWIW, if I were buying a new Satnav, I would want the facility (i.e. easy to use POIs) that supports the speed camera warnings, even if I didn't intend to use it for that.

The ability to store POIs gives a very useful way of finding campsites/aires, etc. in a particular area, and even finding the nearest alternatives when you decide the one you've targeted really doesn't suit you. The data is easy to get hold of, and I've literally thousands of locations stored on my Satnav.

(patently, this can be used for other interests or geographical features).

My use of a Satnav tends to differ from UK use when in Europe.

In the UK I tend to use a Satnav only for the "last mile" if I'm going somewhere I haven't been before (my direction finding and geographic knowledge of the UK is generally good).

Abroad, however, in more unacustomed challenging traffic conditions, I find it extremely useful to have early warning of routes and turnings, particulalrly in towns - it makes lane discipline, for example, much easier.

Nonetheless, back-up via a good, up-to-date map is always important.

My TomTom warns of fixed speed cameras in France and Europe and on the XXL model I have'nt found a way of turning it off.

But surely it can not be an offence in France where every speed camera has a great big camera warning sign just before you reach it !!! And unlike the UK, if the French advertise the speed camera ,there is a camera !!

So TomTom is only telling you what the sign already says !

whisturx - 2011-03-20 8:59 AM

My TomTom warns of fixed speed cameras in France and Europe and on the XXL model I have'nt found a way of turning it off.

....best be careful in Germany then!

From the AA motoring advice for Germany:

A GPS based navigation system which has maps indicating the location of fixed speed cameras must have the ‘fixed speed camera PoI (Points of Interest)’ function deactivated. Should you be unable to deactivate this function the GPS system must not be carried.

:-(

As we are probably crossing Germany again en route to Croatia in May I thought I ought to have another look at my TomTom.

Bingo ,I have found the off button !

I usually set the TT "warn if exceeding the speed limit" buzzzer when using the van so should not get caught by a camera.

Turn it off in the car as its annoying driving on a motorway, as if you travel within the limit you're in with the lorries !!

Guest 1footinthegrave

I am a bit over sat naved, having both a TT and an IGO8 system, both in my view with their strengths, and weaknesses, each on occasions giving rather strange routing instructions, despite the individual settings being the same on both units. I would say that to rely on your satnav exclusively without engaging your brain can sometimes lead to some interesting minor diversions. I have been told variously "you have reached your destination" a deserted French farmyard, "take next right turn" and found myself in a French milk processing plant, old Tom did not seem to know about the high speed tramway system in Le Mans, as he said continue on to it, result, me looking a complete idiot, and some startled stares by the locals.

Also met one brit in Honfluer who had his rooflight, and Aerial ripped off after Tom directed him through a height restricted tunnel somewhere in France. ( he had I thought a great slogan on his van " adventure before dementia") maybe it had already started ! !

Having said all that I cannot imagine going back exclusively to paper maps,the benefits of these devices are enormous, but like I said keep your brain engaged, they are not idiot proof ( I'm testament to that ). :-S ;-)

1footinthegrave - 2011-03-20 5:39 PM

Having said all that I cannot imagine going back exclusively to paper maps,the benefits of these devices are enormous, but like I said keep your brain engaged, they are not idiot proof ( I'm testament to that ).

Our resident idiot is a Garmin Nuvi5000. We set it to take us to Fort Navidad on the side of the harbour in Cartegena. I had looked up the route and got the coordinated from Google Earth. We headed into Cartegena and at the junction where we knew she should have taken us right she wanted to keep straight on. Ignoring her pleas I got to the Fort only to realise it was Monday and it didn't open that day. This is common in this part of Spain most tourist places are closed on Mondays.

On Wednesday we were on the other side of Cartegena so again set it to take us to the fort. We knew it was on the south side but Sally in the Sat Nav directed us down the north shore and then down a pier. We could see the lighthouse at the end when she then proudly announced "Navigate off road". We were opposite the Fort but there was deep water between us and our destination. The big holiday liners come through this channel to berth in Cartegena harbour, so it wasn't just a little error. Despite turning around and her recalculating at every junction I ignored her instructions to turn. Even at the correct point to go down the south shore and along the fort road she still wanted to go back to the way she initially planned.

She also loves to ignore main routes through Spanish vilages and will direct you back and forth across the main through road. taking you down tight back streets.

We now double check her instructions when navigating in Spain. She is normally very good in the UK.

Guest 1footinthegrave
John J Thompson - 2011-03-20 6:29 PM

1footinthegrave - 2011-03-20 5:39 PM

Having said all that I cannot imagine going back exclusively to paper maps,the benefits of these devices are enormous, but like I said keep your brain engaged, they are not idiot proof ( I'm testament to that ).

Our resident idiot is a Garmin Nuvi5000. We set it to take us to Fort Navidad on the side of the harbour in Cartegena. I had looked up the route and got the coordinated from Google Earth. We headed into Cartegena and at the junction where we knew she should have taken us right she wanted to keep straight on. Ignoring her pleas I got to the Fort only to realise it was Monday and it didn't open that day. This is common in this part of Spain most tourist places are closed on Mondays.

On Wednesday we were on the other side of Cartegena so again set it to take us to the fort. We knew it was on the south side but Sally in the Sat Nav directed us down the north shore and then down a pier. We could see the lighthouse at the end when she then proudly announced "Navigate off road". We were opposite the Fort but there was deep water between us and our destination. The big holiday liners come through this channel to berth in Cartegena harbour, so it wasn't just a little error. Despite turning around and her recalculating at every junction I ignored her instructions to turn. Even at the correct point to go down the south shore and along the fort road she still wanted to go back to the way she initially planned.

She also loves to ignore main routes through Spanish vilages and will direct you back and forth across the main through road. taking you down tight back streets.

We now double check her instructions when navigating in Spain. She is normally very good in the UK.

I think you may have a relation of ours that lives in that little plastic box, I'm convinced she's just got a wicked sense of humor, and enjoys a laugh now and again at our expense ! :-)

Most sat Navs have route variations you can set e.g. Motorways or No Motorways, Non-Toll Routes, Quickest or Shortest Time etc. You need to ensure that the settings are correct for the type of journey. If you set 'Shortest Time' it will take you on what it thinks is the most direct route based on the mapset that has been programmed into it.

It is always wise to check the route on an up to date Road Map and then if you have any doubts about What Sat Nav is telling you, go with the route you have checked on the roadmap.

Sat Navs are good advancements in technology but they are quite smply that, a piece of electronic equipment, they do not always get it right so do not put your total faith in them. On saying that, I have had my Snooper Ventura S7000 for 12 months now and not yet (runs and finds some wood to touch :-D ) encountered a problem.

Guest pelmetman
John J Thompson - 2011-03-20 6:29 PM

Our resident idiot is a Garmin Nuvi5000.

Its not just TOM TOM that loses the plot in Spain then *-) :D

Why do some people blame their sat nav when they get in trouble or find that they end up somewhere different from where they expect. They are a navigation aid, & what they do is great compared to using a map. They allow you to concentrate more on the driving than arguing with your navigator about where they are taking you (or even worse trying to read the map while you are driving 8-) )

I confess to arguing with my TT (Kate seems to take on a personality where I think at times she sulks & refuses to talk after my repeated ignoring of her pleas to make a 'U' turn (the wife just sits back & laughs at my conversations with Kate) Kate however never loses her temper & consistently gets me to whee I am going (eventually *-) )

What I usually fail to do after setting a route is to actually have a quick look to see where we are actually going, when I do remember to look before setting off often I have to stick a 'via' to maybe avoid some problem area.

No sat nav will ever be as good as local knowledge, use it as an aid to navigation & always be prepared to ignore any instruction that doesn't feel right (made too many wrong turns with the van down roads not wide enough for us).

kontiki - 2011-03-21 8:14 AM

What I usually fail to do after setting a route is to actually have a quick look to see where we are actually going, when I do remember to look before setting off often I have to stick a 'via' to maybe avoid some problem area.

No sat nav will ever be as good as local knowledge, use it as an aid to navigation & always be prepared to ignore any instruction that doesn't feel right (made too many wrong turns with the van down roads not wide enough for us).

Not qute sure what you mean by setting a route then forgetting to look where you are actually going ? Surely you know where you are going so as to set the route in the first place *-)

Whilst I agree with using local knowledge when using the Sat Nav in UK, where you may have some local knowledge. Unless you are constant travellers in Europe, how would you have the local knowledge for France, Italy, Spain.............. *-)

I agree wholeheartedly with you on using instinct, gut feeling if something that Sat nav says doesn't sound/look right but then that is where the old fashioned skill of using a road map still comes in handy. Prior Preparation and Planning Prevents P**ss Poor Performance as they say :D

Hi Ken, welcome to the mad house :-D

We have tried various sat navs over the years and like our Tom Tom Go 520, we got it off ebay new and boxed for about £120 I think!

We use it a heck of a lot when abroad and certainly would not be with out it. You don't need the latest and/or all singing and dancing versions. Some of the newer models don't have SD slots which can cause problems.

We have lots of POIs on ours, especially useful are the aires and stellplatz ones (overnight stops in France and Germany respectively).

Thanks for all your comments, especially Robinhood. I think I've cracked it. As has been said, radar detectors and their ilk are illegal and will be confiscated and incur a fine.

In France satnav systems using a fixed data base which highlight speed detectors are ok as the information is considered to be in the public domain.

The problem may be with subscription systems which give updated traffic information in real time with locations of moveable detectors. It is possible,I'm told, that this information may be considered as not in the general public domain and systems so equipped MAY incur the wrath of the gendarmerie.

Personally I can do without roadside conversations with les flics so I will buy a basic system without the bells and whistles (that's all I can afford anyway).

Bi all. If I'm back on in July bemoaning the confiscation of a satnav, you'll this was all rubbish.

Ken

Big Momma - 2011-03-21 5:06 PM

Not qute sure what you mean by setting a route then forgetting to look where you are actually going ? Surely you know where you are going so as to set the route in the first place *-)

:D

What I meant was just putting the destination in & not actually looking at where it is taking me to get there. Unfortunately TT is limited in the choices -Fastest - Shortest -Avoid Motorways. Fastest will try to get you onto a motorway sometimes taking you miles further for a few minutes gain, shortest I find is useless as it will take you off a good road down some track to save distance. Often tend to use the avoid motorways as this seems to gives fastest but not motorways. What is I need is an option - 'Get me there in a reasonable time stick to good roads but don't go to far off track' *-) or sometimes I'd like the scenic route :-D.

Have you ever tried the cycle or walking option on TT, sometimes be further than the driving option, it doesn't seem to recognise that I can actually turn around & will insist the route to go around a roundabout to get where I want (?)

Whatever did we do before Sat Nav..use a map of course..nothing wrong with maps personally I would use a sat nav for the last couple of miles into somewhere and then maybe just for guidance...I was a HGV driver for more years than I care to remember and being blessed with a very good sense of direction always got to where I was going ..If I'd never been to a particular place before I'd ask other drivers and get the full SP as it were..or even ask when I got nearer...a lot of people put too much faith in these so called navigation aids..I taught 'er indoors to map read and navigate properly Forces Style..and so far she's been fab and she has spacial awareness which apparently a lot of females don't have

As I sit typing this I'm watching a maximum length artic try to negotiate a very narrow road where it is marked 3.5 tonnes and he's having to reverse back to get to turn round once again more than likely following the Sat Nav to the letter...To me it's a bit of a helper not gospel!!

Archived