Boxer Oil Level Sensor

DavidRon

When I turn the ignition on the service spanner appears along with the message ''Oil Level High''

When I start the engine the ''High level'' goes but the spanner stays.

It's just been serviced and the oil level is spot on.

I suspect the oil level sensor.

Anyone know where this is on a 2003 2.2 Peugeot Boxer.

Or any other ideas what it might be

If the oil level is on the top mark of dip stick then sometimes the oil level sensor can report oil is too high, especially if you are sloping down at front slightly. As long as the dipstick shows the correct level then leave it for a bit and see if it sorts itself as some oil is burned off.

Actually it is not a good idea to fill to the top level, it will find it will burn off more oil and find a natural level a bit lower. Usually best to fill to about 75% between the marks which allows for oil expanding when hot and also reduces any tendancy for oil burn off if too high.

If it bothers you then you can always drain a bit of oil off, or ask the garage to remove 200ml.

As the spanner, probbaly not had the service interval reset, or its indicating service required because oil level is too high.

Guest Tracker

The handbook is in the van and it is dark outside - but the Peugeot handbook tells you how to reset the service indicator spanner!

If you don't have a handbook and nobody else tells you first, I'll get it for you in the morning and post it on here!

Agree with Brambles on oil level sensor - mine is unpredictable too - but as I have lived for 50 years of motoring without such luxuries I just ignore it and check the oil manually from time to time!

When we bought our "pre-loved" van, it had just had a service and starting up the day after collection I noticed the Oil level high warning.

The handbook says this could damage the engine, so I rang the dealer, who put me in touch with the servicing garage. They said there was no problem with the oil level high and that he'd worked for Peugeot for donkey's years and was 99.99% certain it would be OK.

However, he did offer to suck some oil out if I was overly concerned.

Fortunately, I was passing that way on our return home a few days later and called in for him to do just that.

Being a born worrier, I felt much happier knowing it was back within parameters.

Hi,

My van is parked up quite a steep slope (reversed up). So when the ignition is turned on the 'oil high' message always comes on. (row of spanners). But it always goes off when the engine is started even if the van is not moved. Ray

Thanks everyone for their advice, its seems to have sorted itself in the end.

The garage where it was serviced on Monday failed after a few attempts to reset the service spanner and the oil high level was on even though they dropped out 2 litres of oil. They were going to have it back on Wednesday to put a diagnostic on it it make sure there wasn't anything sinister going on.

On Tuesday I turned the ignition on and lo and behold the warning had gone but the spanner was still on.

After much button pressing and a few more codes, CFG1 CFG2 CFG3, it was finally reset. :-D

It takes a while for the oil level sensor to respond, ages and ages..so because of the delay it will not correct immediatly. If the oil is cold or only warm it can take overnight. Rotton really because the dip stick is equally quite slow to show the correct level,

The spanner, may have fallen into the trap a lot do when told to press and hold button for 5 seconds. You have to wait for all the spanners to go off, bar one or more that is left on, then press for 5 seconds. I still fall foul of that one. But, thats easy to cope with really, but the real stinger is the odometer must be set to 'total distance' not ' trip' or they do not reset. Book does not tell you that one!!!!

Archived