Water Tank Movement

Overdrive

I am doing a bit of pre-season maintainence at the moment, one item I had on my list of to-dos was to investigate the appearance of pieces of polystyrene foam under the rear seating.

It appears the water tank has a 1" movement fore and aft and side to side, and this is destroying the polystyrene foam it sits on. The tank itself is not fastened down at all, and appears to rely on weight of water and plastic brackets screwed into the floor.

I think I can prevent the tank moving by using some wooden battens once I have replaced the polystyrene.

I have not removed the tank yet (next thing to do), but I just wondered how other vans tanks are secured, or are they ?

David

Mine just sits snuggly held by the metal frame of the seat but one end is retained in position by a wooden batten screwed to to floor.

Wondering if someone has added the polystyrene foam below tank on yours as not seen such before as floor is insulated. Maybe without the foam the tank would be held by the plastic brackets you mentioned!!! I dunno. Just use wood screwed to floor. However looking at mine through the access cap I can see patches on the bottom which look like they could be double sided tape. Maybe a temporary measure until builder puts wood batten in place at end.

Hi David

I would ensure the Water Tank is secure.

Not sure what size/capacity your tank is, but current 7 series Rapido's have 100 litre Tanks.

So 100kg unrestrained in an accident or if you have to brake in an emergency, potentially a lot of damage.

Try to have a look at other Rapido's at Dealers to find out how they are fitted or contact Rapido UK for info.

http://www.wokinghammotorhomes.com/html/contact_us.html

I agree Rayjsj it has suprised me, compared to many vans the Rapido always seems 'over engineered' in places. I don't believe this is an age problem - we have had the van 4 years and it all looks original and would consider it 'made that way' without DIY modification.

Last night managed to drain the tank, now empty it has a suprising amount of movement. Peering underneath it with a torch and mirror I can see 2 pieces of high density foam had been stuck to the bottom of the tank, and one has totally disintegrated due to the movement.

It's an 80 litre tank if it broke loose it could cause a lot of damage, restraining it with straps seems a sensible idea, if there were some metal framework to fasten it too. I think some wooden battens and some polystyrene sheets wedged down the sides should prevent any movement.

The only thing that I can think of that causes the fore and aft movement is our use of the van on holiday in Italy up and down steep roads (1:4) on a daily basis. Although it would move under heavy braking and acceleration, but I don't do that in a motorhome!

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

David

Brian - no I have not approached Wokingham Rapido yet, I am still working so may speak to them Saturday.

Mel B - no all as I say looks original. There are no tell-tale signs or the tank having been out before or replaced. No odd marks, extra screw holes or marks on the tank nothing like that.

David

Having never really thought about it before,I think I'll take a look at ours'.

I must say I'm not impressed with plastic tanks being held in place by wooden battens though!

..I could imagine the tank eventually getting rubbed through,with even the slightest bit of vibration or movement. :-S

Rubber-backed steel straps or webbing straps,would be my prefered method...

Edit: just been out and checked ours' and to be honest,I can't see how our's is fixed down :-S but it's rock solid and there's ample clearance around it(..I'm guessing the tank may have some "moulded in" fixings?),either way,well done Chausson.. ;-)

Guest peter

Hi Mel, thanks for the prod. I did read the thread last night, but did not notice it was a Rapido 710F.

Our tank did not have any polystyrene insulation fitted. So I covered it with a Fibreglass jacket. Maybe someone has retro fitted it.

I did not notice any movement with our tank, as I did not try and move it. I don't see any problem with fixing battens or slab polystyrene to retain it better. It is located under the nearside rear seat and is quite a close fit in it's compartment. There is not a lot of clearance at the front, so it shoud be easy to stop forward movement with Polystyrene. This should be adequate as there is a reinforced wall directly in front of it.

Rearward movement is not as much a problem, unless you can accelerate at breakneck speed, or get a severe shunt in the rear.

My personal view is that there is not the slightest danger that the tank is going to break free and damage the van, as there is nowhere for it to go. But for peace of mind you could consider the suggestions above.

If you need any more info on these vans feel free to ask.

OK here is a picture of the tank insitu.

To the right is the front of the van, you can see the side of the wardrobe, and the feed pipe for the water inlet, a piece of wood fills the gap between the tank and the wardrobe side wall. So under heavy braking and steep hills the tank has nowhere to go.

545a.jpg.4f4684eb061a00bed5d50958c07d78d6.jpg

OK here is a picture of the tank insitu.

To the right is the front of the van, you can see the side of the wardrobe, and the feed pipe for the water inlet, a piece of wood fills the gap between the tank and the wardrobe side wall. So under heavy braking and steep hills the tank has nowhere to go.

545a.jpg.125e72a67f25e478ac754081afd4dd20.jpg

Looking at that,personally I'd be seating it back down onto some cheap rubber car mats(..in case you need to lift it out again) and then slotting a rubber-faced 2" or 3" batten in front of those plastic lugs(..so they don't rub).

Then I'd be just screw/bolt down some lashing eyelets,so that the tank could then be secured down with a couple of cheap ratchet or luggage straps.

Archived