House Insurance 2011

starvin marvin

Has anyone recently reinsured their house? Ours is up for renewal on 1st April, and I'm due to start the quotation process.

We're currently with the Nationwide, and have been for two years. No problem with extended breaks away. We need a minimum of 90 days with possibly up to 120 days away.

Any suggestions for quotes would be appreaciated

Guest Tracker

Camping and Caravanning Club Insurance is the only one that I am aware of that will cover for up yo 180 days - according to their blurb - but I don't know if the house has to be checked at all during this time?

We are with Liverpool Victoria which covers up to 60 days unoccupied with no restrictions - for those who need it.

We have tried looking for insurance that will cover us & we found that Nationwide are the only ones to give unlimited time unoccupied without any extra charge (PROVIDING the house is checked on a regular basis [can't remember how often but we get our daughters calling to check the house & mail I tel them to make a phone call as proof if we ever need it that the house has been checked])

Many will give cover up to whatever amount of time you want but the cost increases a lot >:-)

Here's my update:-

AA 30 days

NatWest; Tesco; SAGA; & RIAS, 60days

Clearly these are all low risk insurers, 90 days+ is seen as higher risk.

So tomorrow I'm going to try Home Protect and the other likely candidates like Comfort Insurance, who cover the van.

There is often a requirement for the property to be checked on a regular basis, the Nationwide is every 14 days. Plus other conditions such as boiler temperature setting, if a wet central heating system is left on during the winter months.

I'm so glad I only have to do this once a year!

Busy day today, only managed to speak with Home Protect who quoted £100 less than Nationwide for house and contents, and being able to leave the house for 61 to 90 days. It is possible to also have cover for 91 days up to 180 days if required.

There are conditions on c/heating being left on if not drained down in the winter and the house must be visited once a week. All very similar to Nationwide.

Will try Comfort tomorrow.

The lowest price with up to 90 days away from the house was with Home Protect.

However Ms Marvin had an idea..... as the house insurance is in my name, "how about cancelling the cover and renewing in my name to benefit from an introductory offer?"

So off we went, the result? still with Nationwide and made a saving of £80+

The policy gives us unlimited time away from the property. Conditions apply as follows:-

Property to be internally checked every 14 days

If left with an undrained c/h system, it must be maintained at 12 deg C, from 1st Nov to 31st March.

Plus a few more conditions, but not onerous. A good days work!

Hi,

We moved from Nationwide 2 years ago to the C&CC as they give automatically 180 day with no special conditions like the visiting every so many days etc. and we saved well over £100, it would be worth joining as the savings were that much it easerly paid for the membership plus a substancial saving,

I don't know if they will quote without you being a member but its certainly worth a phone call, i think the same company provides house insurance but you only get the 180 days if you are a member.

hope that helps

01277 243000

Archived