Batteries. Buy water or use tumble dryer?

art338

Niether. Sterilised water?????

I know I Know you , mean distilled.

You can use Distilled Water or De-ionised water. Search on google and lots of links I would think with explanation on likes of wikipedia. Saves me typing.

In your battery DO NOT use condensed water from tumble dryers, fridges or dehumidifiers. It is contaminated with all sorts of dust particles and whilst most can be filtered out goodness knows what else it has picked up.

If it is for your iron - go for it out the tumble dryer.

However if for a battery, you never said what it was for, and it is on its last legs and this is a get you out of trouble situation then you could I suppose filter some from the tumble dryer, but risk is there are materials in the water which will contaminate your battery, derived from all the fabrics which have been dried.

edit - korrektid ushal typos I maik.

Have only bought one battery in the last 10 years. Perhaps I don't keep cars long enough to have to buy one. The one I bought last year for the motorhome is a sealed one and I didn't have to buy it because of any topping up by me, it only lasted 3 months after buying the motorhome.

I worked for Halfords for 13 years many years ago and we didn't even stock distilled water in the shops I worked in because nobody bought it then.

I appreciate things have moved on since then technically.

But just a thought - wouldn't melted ice from defrosting your freezer be better than the tumble dryer water?

Guest pelmetman
I seem to recall some one on here peeing in theirs in an emergency!............ I suppose that would be chlorine free (lol)........but not urine free (lol) (lol)

pelmetman - 2011-03-23 8:20 AM

I seem to recall some one on here peeing in theirs in an emergency!............ I suppose that would be chlorine free (lol)........but not urine free (lol) (lol)

just be Veerrry careful to avoid 'splashbacks', could be 'life-changing'.

and i'm sure it does the battery no good either. 8-) Ray

And you need to be double-jointed if it's under the drivers seat. :$ :$

Not any good to the OP, but if you do want to get some distilled/de-ionised water, get it from France (eau demineralisee) - it's usually about the equiavlent of £1.10-£1.20 for a large container which would cost you 4/5 times that in the UK!

On the way back home, hubby stocks up on wine ... I stock up on de-ionised water!!! :D

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2011-03-24 2:38 PM

I stock up on de-ionised water!!! :D

Cor!.............You know how to live Mel :D ..........Do have it with ice or drink it straight (?) (lol) (lol)

Archived