Caravan Club

Hawcara

I received the same letter from the CC and checking the last statement I see I have 11500 points. I have never claimed any of them since Barclaycard took it over. In the 'old' system you were automatically sent a voucher after every 250 points, so even that has increased 10 fold. So, you now spend £3000 to get back a voucher worth what maybe £15-20. However, as I do not keep any balance on the Card, and there is no annual fee, the only money Barclaycard make out of me is the fee from a retailer, so i suppose any voucher is a freebie.

I am in a way stuck with it because as I am retired I cannot get another credit card as I ahve no salary, so as long as there is no fee, I will use it as and when I need to. I also use Amex, andhave done for the last 30 years but even here I downgraded to save the fees.

It is a problem when you retire as all forms of credit 'die', even if you do not really want them, but sometimes it is the easy way to do something. So, make sure you have all these in place before you retire.

I know this is off the original topic, but I did not realise that credit did not exist as such when you retire. Does not a pension count as salary, as in some cases one may be paying tax? Is it that one does not have a credit score?

I could possibly understand it, should one be relying on some other form of income, on which tax has been paid eg savings. :-D

Guest Tracker
lennyhb - 2011-03-24 9:03 AM

I've still got a pair of molegrips in the garage brought with Green Shield stamps in the sixties.

And I'm still using the sets of rings and open ended spanners that I got via Green Shield when working in London and driving up and down to Eastbourne every week for two years in the mid sixties!

Tracker - 2011-03-24 7:20 PM

lennyhb - 2011-03-24 9:03 AM

I've still got a pair of molegrips in the garage brought with Green Shield stamps in the sixties.

And I'm still using the sets of rings and open ended spanners that I got via Green Shield when working in London and driving up and down to Eastbourne every week for two years in the mid sixties!

I bet you are still using the sets of glasses you collected with petrol (lol)

Hi Alex,

Do you have a BT phone? If so have a look at their MBNA card, you get money directly off your phone bill without having to claim or redeem vouchers.

It pays 1p for every £1.50 you spend and is deducted on a monthly basis.

We use ours for everything we can and always pay the balance off in full so never incur charges.

For what it's worth we used to have a C&CC card until they stopped issuing it as they said it was too expensive to run the scheme. With that card we used to get a free night at a club site every time we went away and still had 'miles' to spare :-D

Keith.

Thank you Keith, but we're on cable!

They are about to build a Tesco here, so may venture down that road, but this thread has been most informative and saved me wading through moneysavingexpert.

We dont use the card that much and always pay it off, but like everyone else we are looking for the utopian free lunch. :-D

Archived