Stargazer --Rust at bottom of habitation door

tonyg3nwl

Hi, I have just found evidence of rust at the bottom of the habitation door on my 2 1/2 year old Stargazer. Firstly I didnt realise that the outer skin is rustable, I thought it was Aluminium. However , is this likely to be covered by warranty, and if so whose warranty... Autocruise has gone, ( or has it ?)

advise please

Tony g3nwl

Guest Tracker

Are you sure it is corrosion of the aluminium - and yes aluminium can corrode!

Could it be blistering of the paint or whatever they coated the metal with prior to manufacture?

Either way if yours is a pre swift era van your only redress is with the dealer who sold it to you?

That might or might not be practicable but the first step is to politely ask the dealer for their viewpoint?

Or just live with it?

The Only 'bits' that can rust on a Habitation door are the screws that hold the vent at the bottom, or the shafts of the rivets that hold it together ?

The outer skin is alluminium the inner a plastic panel. (on mine).

You did mean rust didn't you ? alluminium corrosion makes it go white and powdery. What year manufacture is it ? Swift took over in 2007/8. Ray

Hi Tony

Same as previous posters, our Sportstar also is Aluminium outer skin on the Habitation door.

It could be rust run down from the door hinges, but I suspect you would also find the Habitation door stiff when opening & closing.

If it is corrosion of the Aluminium, it suggests water ingress which should be covered by your 3 year warranty. (assuming you have had the annual damp checks) It is your suppling Dealer who holds responsibility for the Warranty, not the manufacturer. So if before the demise of Autocruise (2008 If my memory is right) & before or after Swift's subsequent purchase, is irrelevant.

Hi guys, thanks for the responses.

Maybe the paint blistering isnt due to rust after all, But blistering of the paint it sure is.. I must investigate further and if the skin is Aluminium then it isnt quite so serious, but still annoying and will need rectification.

The dealer is based at Warminster and I will be heading to a rally at castle Cary in a couple of weeks so can replan my route to pass by them on the way and see what they say. Hopefully they can at least offer suggestions, and maybe get some touch up paint if nothing else.

tonyg3nwl

ps year of manufacture not known but was sold to me as "new from the factory" and first taxed in October 2008. I think that makes it a genuine Autocruise van not Swift product.

Well,if it is corrosion of the aluminium,that's no better rust on steel.. :-S

We had a "blistered scab" appear on a lower rear panel of our previous Compass 120,when it was only about 2 years old(..In our case,I think there may've been some "debris" between the outer ali' skin and the ply panel).

The dealer(Discover) took so long in addressing it..during which time they talked of cutting it out and filling it or just covering it with another panel,neither of which was I happy with!),we'd traded the van in before it got sorted... *-)

At least with your's being on the door,in a worst case scenario,it could be a simple new door job..

Although I suppose it depends on how serious it is and how much of this coming year you want to spend chasing around and getting messed about by the dealer?!

With hindsight,I wouldn't have bothered with ours'...instead of being messed around for best part of a year,I should've just treated it myself and covered it with a reflector from the off(..which is what I eventually had to do.. :-S )

tonyg3nwl - 2011-03-24 8:10 AM

ps year of manufacture not known but was sold to me as "new from the factory" and first taxed in October 2008. I think that makes it a genuine Autocruise van not Swift product.

Autocruise, 'Swift or not Swift' recognition tips:--

For the 2007 model year, Autocruise started to use the new 'X250' Peugeot Boxer base vehicle and the 'vans were restyled from the previous models to suite.

The front valance / mudguard / bumper area, which on the basic van is black was painted white with the exception of the 'front bumper' area which was left black.

The Swift produce Autocruises, after they bought the company, ( which, if I remember right was in late 2007 ) had the front area all painted, without the black bumper area. The rear panels were also changed to a more 'rounded' design compared to Autocruises new '2007' rear panel.

Some interior changes were made too. Notably, the kitchen worktop edges which in the 'Autocruise' 'vans were edged in wood were changed in Swift production to be edged to match the worktops.

There were some 'vans which seem to have been 'in production' when Swift bought the company and I have seen some of these; Specifically Starblazers but there may be other models, which appear to be 'hybrids'. They have the fronts all white, and interiors to Swift specifications but with the old Autocruise 'pre-Swift' rear panel.

I hope that helps some people with identifying their '2007 / 2008' Autocruises.

Harvey

tonyg3nwl - 2011-03-23 4:59 PM Hi, I have just found evidence of rust at the bottom of the habitation door on my 2 1/2 year old Stargazer. Firstly I didnt realise that the outer skin is rustable, I thought it was Aluminium. However , is this likely to be covered by warranty, and if so whose warranty... Autocruise has gone, ( or has it ?) advise please Tony g3nwl

Hope this won't appear a silly question, but what makes you think it is rust (Iron oxide, brown in colour)?  It may be, but if it is, it will be because there is rusting steel in the vicinity.

If the aluminium is corroding, it is likely to be chemical/electrochemical corrosion.  Aluminium oxidises, but is naturally self healing as the oxide forms a protective coating that more or less prevents further oxidisation.  Salt will attack aluminium through electrolysis, and any copper or brass from which water can run onto the aluminium will also have a fairly dramatic affect.

If the aluminium is backed with timber (ply or framing), some timber preservatives, and the natural mineral content of some woods, will also attack aluminium if the wood is damp.

Can you post a digital photo to illustrate better?

Hi , hopefully, I am trying to attach digipic as requested

tonyg3nwl

For information, the front is all painted white, and worktop edges match the worktops. rear panel has Autocruise Logos and Stargazer name on rear panel which is recessed about 5 inches compared with outer edges

tonyg3nwl

doorcorrosion.JPG.f4298017a27a2a85c9189b2df18b9b09.JPG

Tony, can you do another, but with the door open and showing the bottom edge?  That looks like corrosion that has crept out from somewhere invisible behind the seal.  It also seems to be a frameless door, which makes me doubt it is aluminium skinned, but I can't see properly how it is assembled.

OK Tony, it's a bit clearer.  I'd suggest you try peeling back the seal where the corrosion is visible, to see what is going on under the seal.  I've no idea how it is held together, but what interests me is the area where the corrosion is visible, which appears to be a pressing, or moulding, because it looks like a softly rounded edge.  For that to be produced in aluminium, or steel, would require a large press and a couple of dies, of the kind used for car panels.  I would have thought that a big investment, relative to volume of production, for just a motorhome door.  If it were pressed steel, it could well be rusting, but there seems no sign of rust staining around the blisters.  

That would seem just to leave a plastic, or fibreglass, moulding.  Neither of these would rust however, and I can't see how even a steel backing frame could rust through to the face in that way.  It's beginning to make me wonder if the door was poorly prepared, perhaps with the wrong, or no, primer, and the finish coat is simply spontaneously lifting.  It will be the wettest part of the door, so extensive periods of cold and wet over the past winter may have a role to play.

The only other think I can think of is that water has got inside the door, and is somehow forcing it's way out through the edge and behind the paint.  Have you tried bursting any of the blisters to see what they contain?

Hello Tony I have the same problem on a 2007 Roller Team Granduca I had it repaired last year and it is back again this time I have taken the blisters off and there nothing underneath them it just looks like clean Aluminium and there is no oxidization,there must be something going on the inside of the door skin or some chemical reaction with road salt its annoying as it is in avery small area I was even thinking of putting some form of guard or trim along the bottom of door which might help it ,if you come across with some answers I will keep an eye out for them Goodluck Regards Imlach

Hi Tony

Looking at your photo's - I am convinced it is post the Swift purchase.

And there were many threads/posts regarding problems with the Habitation Doors on Swift Motorhomes around that time.

If you can ease the Seal away, I suspect the underneath edge of the Aluminium has been rubbing/catching on the frame sufficient to allow water to creep in & cause the corrosion.

Contact your dealer regarding the Warranty.

Hello again. Yesterday I found a website help contact for seitz/Dometic, and have sent them an email query in general terms inviting their suggestions for identifying and subsequently fixing the problem

As peviously posted, I am arranging to go via Warminster (Dealer) in a couple of weeks time en route to a Castle Cary rally with east Dorset centre CC. I will update in due course when responses have been obtained. I am not going to mess about before seeing them as I dont wish to aggravate or upset any warranty claim possibilities.

Watch this space.

Seitz/Dometic are apparently at "The brewery, Blandford St Mary Dorset, DT11 9LS, 08446261333, unless they have moved/closed etc.

Tonyg3nwl

Hello Tony My vehicle was imported by myself from Belgium and the door is exactly the same as yours except the roller team door is slightly closer to the road due to the recessed step with your door being roughly the same age as mine it could be a faulty batch of doors as my motorhome was built in Italy but I do not know where the doors are manufactured and your problem is a mirror image of mine I hope this throws some light on the subject Regards ImlaCH

Hello again. I am able to report that agreement has been reached by way of a goodwill gesture on the part of the door manufacturer to cover the cost of respray. The repairer has confirmed that the skin of the door is Aluminium and that the door will be stripped back and treated, then resprayed.

I now have to arrange a suitable time and date.

tonyg3nwl

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all. Just a quick update re corrosion problem.

Van was returned to dealer at Warminster last Monday 0900, and was available for collection 1530. I cant guarantee that the problem wont return, but repair is under warranty for a further 12 months from Monday.

Colour match ok to my eysight, but I do suffer colour blindness (red green deficiency), and better half reckons it it a near perfect match. All done under warranty as promised.

tonyg3nwl

Archived