DIY habitation servicing - or not

everhopeful

Once out of warranty, do most carry on with the dealer hab servicing or is the DIY approach workable?

The feature article on hab servicing on this very forum by Rachel Stothert http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/channel/articleitem.asp?c=1&article=187 goes through a likely list of things that may be checked, but I know for sure that a lot of these were never done during my hab services. Rachel even suggests that the main point of the service is to maintain the warranty!

Most of the things that need checking are just start of season checks anyway, but the important issues of gas and damp checking need more consideration.

I could buy a damp meter and it would then become a more regular check anyway - does anyone have a recommendation?

I could check the functioning of gas appliances, including the flame failure devices, but would need a Manometer and connecting hose for the regulator and leak tests. As you'd expect, caravan spares shops don't seem to sell Manometers!

Can anyone recommend a source for a Manometer? I'm assuming the best place for connecting a Manometer would be the regulator test point, but what sort of connector is it? I could fit an in-line pressure gauge for a leak test, but this wouldn't be as comprehensive as a Manometer check.

Please don't shoot me down in the flames of safety and regulations as I'm not suggesting anyone should compromise either. I would just like to explore the practicalities of DIY and what others may have done to overcome the obstacles.

The "normal" warranty is either 2 or 3 years, (depending on manufacturer), but the Water Ingress Warranty is generally 6 years (bothdependant on which manufacturer)

So if you want to retain the Water Ingress Warranty, it is worth having it done by an "authorised" dealer.

Would a manufacturer accept an Owners Damp Checks regarding a Warranty claim. -- Definately NOT (see your handbook for THEIR requirements)

There have been numerous posts over the years regarding DIY Damp Meters & the common concensus is that they "at best" only an indicator. The Meters used by Dealers are around £500 so that would pay for the Damp Checks throughout the longer Water Ingress Warranty period.

IMHO - As for other aspects, yes most competent DIY's can carry-out the checks during routine "maintenance", but if a fault is found, particularly with Gas or Electrical systems it's still prudent to get a full check & rectification by a "competent person"

As you stated

"Most of the things that need checking are just start of season checks anyway"

Various sources for Manometers, (i.e. any Plumbers Mechant/ Screwfix)

http://www.bes.co.uk/products/049.asp (& scroll down)

http://www.practicalphysics.org/go/Experiment_878.html

Im all for saving money. But, im having what i suspect is my vans first hab service probably from new. Ive got the much-recommended (see other similar topics) 'Kevin from Rossendale' coming this saturday to give it a once over. Yes, i could buy a damp meter and a volt meter, but ive no real idea how to use them, so what will it tell me either way?

And, given we had a local MH burn to a crisp up the road only a week ago - bursting into flames for no apparent reason, im quite keen to have an 'expert' cast his eye over my leccy and gas installations, and for the main 'killer' - damp, just for peace of mind.

This done, im unlikely to be having it done every year. Possibly every two/three, depending on if i suspect anythings amiss.

Guest peter

It's possible Everhopefull, if you feel confident in your judgement. I always do my own.

Ask yourself how many caravanners shell out for a habitation check. Not many I'll wager.

So why should Motor caravan be any different.

I'ts not rocket science, more like common sense and using your powers of observation every time you get in the van.

So, it's an ongoing general awareness of your van and it's services.

As for buying a Manometer you can get them from Amazon, here for £20 not the ridiculous £200 odd for the electronic ones. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001XQF6P4/ref=asc_df_B001XQF6P42360161?smid=A19V3JSEZ1HWPK&tag=dealtime-homeimprovement-mp-delta-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B001XQF6P4

You could use the regulator test nipple or any other suitable test point that is available. All you are looking for is a drop in pressure over a period of time, say 10 Min's. It should come with all operating instructions anyway.

Guest 1footinthegrave
peter - 2011-03-23 10:20 PM

It's possible Everhopefull, if you feel confident in your judgement. I always do my own.

Ask yourself how many caravanners shell out for a habitation check. Not many I'll wager.

I'ts not rocket science, more like common sense and using your powers of observation every time you get in the van.

As for buying a Manometer you can get them from Amazon, here for £20 not the ridiculous £200 odd for the electronic ones. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001XQF6P4/ref=asc_df_B001XQF6P42360161?smid=A19V3JSEZ1HWPK&tag=dealtime-homeimprovement-mp-delta-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B001XQF6P4

You could use the regulator test nipple or any other suitable test point that is available. All you are looking for is a drop in pressure over a period of time, say 10 Min's. It should come with all operating instructions anyway.

As Peter says I use a Gaslow gauge, this tells you if there is any pressure drop over a set period on your gas lines. Everything else I make a visual check. Having had what can only be described as a disaster of a hab check by a very large dealer on one occasion I prefer to do my own checks, but I'm sure others will have a different view, and different levels of knowledge.

1footinthegrave - 2011-03-24 7:19 AM

peter - 2011-03-23 10:20 PM

As Peter says I use a Gaslow gauge, this tells you if there is any pressure drop over a set period on your gas lines. Everything else I make a visual check. Having had what can only be described as a disaster of a hab check by a very large dealer on one occasion I prefer to do my own checks, but I'm sure others will have a different view, and different levels of knowledge.

While id agree with both 'common sense' DIY, and the thoroughness - or not of some dealers, im having mine done because i dont think its been done for a long time - and who knows who has been 'tinkering' with the works. Plus, i dont think its prudent to wait till water is running down the inside before you pick up/act on a potential damp issue. This wants picking up at the earliest opportunity.

Also, the 'difference' between a caravanner not checking very often, is many many thousands of pounds for comparable 'vehicles'. If theres a problem in a five grand tin tent, its not the end of the world. But its 'comparable-in-age cousin' with an engine at the front will be worth maybe £15 or £20k. Not something you can easily write off.

I can see your point in getting it serviced/checked if it hasn't done for ages,at least then you know you've got a "starting point"...

Although of the hab' services/checks that we've ever had,none have seemed to have checked the "mains" side of things(..as the "check by" date label is never updated).When I've queried this,I've always been told that "..we don't check that.." :-S

But in relation the water ingress,it always amazes me how some folk'll pay hundreds of pounds for a damp inspection,yet at the same time,go for years without proping a ladder up against their van and checking(..or even cleaning)the roof and vents ! :-S

I think that the term 'Habitation Servicing ' is totally misleading, it should be 'Habitation Check'.

Dealers do not service most of the equipment eg fridge, cooker etc they only check that it is working. They should also check that there are no gas leaks, gas pressure, for electrical safety and water ingress.

The topic of "servicing" came up at a recent forum. When I get the written report I will post it on here

How Much??????? - 2011-03-24 8:04 AM

Also, the 'difference' between a caravanner not checking very often, is many many thousands of pounds for comparable 'vehicles'. If theres a problem in a five grand tin tent, its not the end of the world. But its 'comparable-in-age cousin' with an engine at the front will be worth maybe £15 or £20k. Not something you can easily write off.

You may be right regarding the difference in value but have you considered the fact that most caravans are built to far higher standards and so don't leak :D :D :D

JohnP - 2011-03-24 9:17 AM

I think that the term 'Habitation Servicing ' is totally misleading, it should be 'Habitation Check'.

Dealers do not service most of the equipment eg fridge, cooker etc they only check that it is working. They should also check that there are no gas leaks, gas pressure, for electrical safety and water ingress.

The topic of "servicing" came up at a recent forum. When I get the written report I will post it on here

Couldnt agree more, very little actually serviced during these "checks" I have allways done my own annual service/check on previous caravans (and boats for that matter) untill I bought the current MH brand new and felt obliged to pay extortianate money to dealer to retain the warranty. I am an engineer by trade for elec, gas and mechanical so I am lucky to have the equipment and qualifications for everything except the damp test, however I cant see chausson accepting my "inspection report" come a warrranty claim. Money for old rope springs to mind as I dont need a dealer to tell me everything is working and my door / window catches etc are ok. I would have allready noticed a problem.

Disclaimer - The gas check however is an absolute must for everyone.

Only ever get the damp check done, do the habitation myself, not had any problems with warranty claims, in fact when I asked our Belgium dealer about habitation service, the reply was we normally only do them when the van's 5 years old it's not necessary before then.

Obviously rip off Briton again.

Obviously rip off Briton again.

IMV it's not a case of rip off Britain (and by that I assume you mean the dealers are ripping us off), it's the manufacturers who dictate WHEN and HOW a habitation etc service must be carried out to comply with the warranty, it is not normally the dealer who dictates this unless it is a specific dealer supplied warranty. Maybe the dealers in mainland Europe choose not to abide by the requirement or don't have to?

Syd - 2011-03-24 9:24 AM

How Much??????? - 2011-03-24 8:04 AM

You may be right regarding the difference in value but have you considered the fact that most caravans are built to far higher standards and so don't leak :D :D :D

Caravans dont get damp/water ingress? I think somebodys been having you on! I hope you havent made purchases on the strength of it. :-D

I have always serviced my own cars and caravans, however, buying a new motorhome I had my first year habitaition and powertrain service done by an independant to maintain the warranty ? a week prior to the service the motorhome had been returned to Fiat and undergone the infamous gearbox repair, unfortunately one of the driveshaft seals was leaking.

A few weeks later at the New Forest we notice water leaking around the windows, no sealant had been applied at the factory ?

Adding insult to injury oil stains on the carpets and fixed bed ? Um good service

I gone back to servicing and repairing my own motorhome.

Guest peter

The boat I've owned for 18Yrs needs a safety check every 4Yrs to get a river licence from British Waterways. They check everything inc' gas, fuel, heating. The lot and it's always passed. Cost? about £80. A bit different to what people are charging for Motorhomes.

Believe me a modern cruiser is every bit as complicated as a Motorhome, if not more so. But they are a lot better built. Hence 20Yrs old and still looks pristine. :D

ips - 2011-03-25 8:15 AM

Caravans dont get damp/water ingress? I think somebodys been having you on! I hope you havent made purchases on the strength of it. :-D

Dont know were you get that from, of course they do :-S

Nar they don't get damp they flood :D

peter - 2011-03-24 11:18 PM

The boat I've owned for 18Yrs needs a safety check every 4Yrs to get a river licence from British Waterways. They check everything inc' gas, fuel, heating. The lot and it's always passed. Cost? about £80. A bit different to what people are charging for Motorhomes.

Believe me a modern cruiser is every bit as complicated as a Motorhome, if not more so. But they are a lot better built. Hence 20Yrs old and still looks pristine. :D

£80? How long does it take?

Andy

Had I been asked this question 2 weeks ago then I would have probably agreed with contributors who feel that the price we pay for habitation checks, in order to keep warranties valid, can be extortionate.

However, I have now got a different view and this is based purely on financial reasons.

Following a winter park-up for 2 months and a pre-season check round myself we noticed that there was a small strip of damp carpet right at the back of the cooker, at the junction of the floor and wall over the tag axle wheel arch. First thought was a leak from a water pipe after filling the system for the first time after the winter drain down, especially as the damp patch seemed to be relatively new. This was not the case.

A telephone call to Auto Trail pointed me in a different direction - the water tight seal between the wall and the floor. Following a trip to Auto Trail in Grimsby, they confirmed the problem and provided me with a quote to put matters right. This was then sent to the warranty insurance company, along with the appropriate evidence of habitation checks being done at the appropriate intervals. The quote was accepted and remedial works are planned to be carried out very shortly by Auto Trail. Suffice to say that the cost of repairs are eqivalent to the cost of at least 6 habitation checks! So the 2 I have paid for is money well spent in my view :-).

At the end of the day I suppose it depends on whether you want to take the risk and if a potentially expensive problem like ours came along that you would be happy to dig deep in your pocket!

This repair we are having done is not one that I would have wanted to try a DIY on.

Regards,

John & Anne.

The build-quality difference aside, which i cant comment on. Even if a boat and a MH were built to an identical high standard, the MH is always going to be at a disadvantage as regards potential 'leaks' around joints etc, as the body is under far greater gravitational pressures eg rolling and pitching and jolts whilst travelling on the roads. Your average pleasure cruiser is never going to get any of this, hence its joints stay sound for longer.

How Much??????? - 2011-03-25 3:31 PM

The build-quality difference aside, which i cant comment on. Even if a boat and a MH were built to an identical high standard, the MH is always going to be at a disadvantage as regards potential 'leaks' around joints etc, as the body is under far greater gravitational pressures eg rolling and pitching and jolts whilst travelling on the roads. Your average pleasure cruiser is never going to get any of this, hence its joints stay sound for longer.

You ain't seen the way that Peter speeds around the waterways in his boat have you ! (lol) :D

Thanks all for your excellent advice.

It seems I'm not alone in finding dealer hab “servicing” rather short of the mark. I've no problem paying for good service that I actually want, but I don't want my window catches checking either! I've felt it worthwhile to keep the warranty intact with the hab servicing even though it seems to achieve very little else. In the past I've been asked for proof of servicing for EVERY year for the warranty to be covered. Why? I think we all know! From all the comments a DIY approach seems far more common than I'd expected and as my warranty completely expires soon I'll be doing my own checking from now on.

The Gaslow gauge ticks all my boxes and although not as accurate as a manometer it'll give me a leak test far more often! I may even buy a manometer as well for a check of the regulator! (thanks to flicka and peter for the links)

My van is "caravan" construction rather than proper coachbuilt so I'm quite keen to do the damp testing properly and quite often. I'll need to research a decent quality damp meter yet, but I'm guessing an ultrasonic meter may be the only one worthwhile.

The Caravan Club seem to discourage DIY servicing, but at worst it must often be better than what many actually do, ie nothing. No doubt some workshops will provide a thorough and meaningful service of what is really needed and at a sensible price, but until I find one........

Archived