Site prices - is this a record?

Dixie

We're moving away from South Shields very soon, but want to return for the Great North Run weekend. So we had a look at the website for the local seafront Caravan Park. This is a fairly ordinary seaside site, good facilities but not very special. Rates per night are:

Low season £30 per night.

High Season £35 per night.

and for the Great North Run weekend..... £75 per night.

Oh and an extra £3 for each person exceeding two, for each dog, or for an awning.

So for us and our three dogs, we're talking £84 per night!!!!!

We haven't booked.

Can anone beat this piece of blatant profiteering?

John.

Guest JudgeMental
Probably, and a good reason for not camping on this miserable island. Winner of the 2011 "RIP OFF ENGLAND CAMPING AWARD!" :D

Guest Peter James
Central Newcastle, on street parking £30 per day including Sundays when I was there a couple of years ago.

Guest pelmetman
Strewth 8-)............... I think I would spend the money on a campsite in France and watch it on the telly :D

Personally I find this disgusting.

When Rates are increased by more than 100% for a special event.

Even worse when the context of the Great North Run is an fundraising event for Charities.

At these rates the Runners will need their sponsorship monies for Accomodation costs rather than their chosen Charity.

But surely this is typical private Sector profiteering, Supply and Demand I think you call it (Sorry but couldn't resist it :D ) do you really think that if you tell them to 'Go Forth and Multiply' that they will miss you not booking on their site. Even like to bet that there site gets fully booked (Probably all the fat cats from the Public Sector in their RV's , which is good of them really as they have had to make cuts, they were originally booked in a 5* Hotel :D ).

Guest peter
malc d - 2011-03-26 9:24 PM

They can only charge what people are prepared to pay.

Not quite true. They can charge what they like. But they will only prosper if idiots are prepared to pay stupid unjustified prices.

peter - 2011-03-26 9:36 PM

Not quite true. They can charge what they like. But they will only prosper if idiots are prepared to pay stupid unjustified prices.

Wholeheartedly agree Peter. Just look at the number of repeat threads that appear about the CC site fees, but you rarely find an empty one ;-)

Unfortunately, as Flicka hinted, in this case the 'idiots' who pay will be runners who will then probably deduct it as expenses before handing over their sponsorship money to their chosen Good Cause.

So it will be the charities that lose out.

John

Dixie - 2011-03-26 9:48 PM

Unfortunately, as Flicka hinted, in this case the 'idiots' who pay will be runners who will then probably deduct it as expenses before handing over their sponsorship money to their chosen Good Cause.

So it will be the charities that lose out.

John

Now that would be 'Uncharitable', I guess you would call that 'Irony'

Exactly Dixie

From Wikipedia

"The first ever Great North Run was staged on the 28 June 1981, when 12,000 runners participated. By 2003, the number of participants had risen to 47,000. The 2008 event saw an announced field of 52,000. Counting only real finishers (many are entered through their company and don't show up) the number was 35,777 in 2007, the largest half marathon and the 13th largest running race that year"

With that volume of Runners (plus their support - families or friends) the majority who do not live close enough to travel on the day, there is no way the local Hotels, B&B's etc.. can cater for accomodation needs

So out & out profiteering at the expense of Charities & a kick in the teeth for those participating. They will have few options.

The price is a shock and one I would not pay.

However, I wonder whether the site's cost has increased over that weekend.

For example, have they had to pay a premium for staff or brought in additional security so our pride and joys do not get burgled whilst we are out enjoying ourselves. Has the site sponsored the event and built this into the price? Does it offer special viewing privileges for campers? Do runners get a special discounted rate if they book through the race organisers and so the price is pitched to deter non runners? Does the site have to stay open but would prefer to close so is deliberately pricing itself out of the market? Have the rates been determined by local Council policy to control the number of visitors?

The price has been set well in advance. Better to know now than get stung on arrival so the site is not dishonest.

I am not defending the site. If this is excessive profiteering, shame on them and I hope they lose business throughout the year as a result. I suspect, thought, that if we were in the business of running a holiday park, some of us would be tempted to price at the market rate and give a donation if it meant staying in business.

Big Momma - 2011-03-26 9:47 PM

Wholeheartedly agree Peter. Just look at the number of repeat threads that appear about the CC site fees, but you rarely find an empty one ;-)

Do you really think that this is a fair analogy?

Isn't this very much what a lot of London Hotels are doing for 2012 Olympics?..and indeed what most of the trave lindustry does at any 'peak period'.....yes, supply and demand, but equally what people will pay to get the accomodation etc they want.

We are currentlyon our 27th night away this month, and so far, by using a mixture of CC sites/ CLs for 5 nights and commercial sites, we're averaging something arund £14 per night inc electrics.

We're also looking at spending much of April away, but refuse to pay the extortionate 'high peak season' price to CC club sites (and no doubt commercial sites), due to Easter amongst other things, and are considering going to France, since we can get a cheap ferry crossing, cheaper sites/occasional aires, and better mpg at cheaper cost per litre anyway......UK is no contest - but of course already most CC sites are fully booked anyway!

Dixie - 2011-03-26 6:44 PM

We're moving away from South Shields very soon, but want to return for the Great North Run weekend. So we had a look at the website for the local seafront Caravan Park. This is a fairly ordinary seaside site, good facilities but not very special. Rates per night are:

Low season £30 per night.

High Season £35 per night.

and for the Great North Run weekend..... £75 per night.

Oh and an extra £3 for each person exceeding two, for each dog, or for an awning.

So for us and our three dogs, we're talking £84 per night!!!!!

We haven't booked.

Can anone beat this piece of blatant profiteering?

John.

Do you have a link for their website??

malc d - 2011-03-26 9:24 PM

They can only charge what people are prepared to pay.

It IS very true, and you are actually agreeing with me.

If people are prepared to pay the prices, whether they are idiots or not, the sites will charge what they like.

;-)

If anyone feels strongly enough to do anything about these prices, I suggest you contact the Sunday Sun newspaper. It is a North East based Sunday paper which bills itself as "The Champion of the North" and exposes various types of ripoffs etc.

www.sundaysun.co.uk

Archived