URGENT HELP, Carver water heater

gmcclin

Hope some of you kind folk out there can help me. I am getting the van ready for our trip to France and have discovered that the Carver Rapide GE water heater tank has parted company from the outer housing. It appears that a rod that runs through the tank has corroded and broke of at the main housing on the wall. We are heading to France in just over a week and need an urgent fix. Can this be replaced and how? Who would stock the parts? How can i get the remainder of the threaded bar out? PLEASE HELP

Hi Gerard

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but on the Leisure Shop Direct website

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/Caravan/gas/Carver_water_heater_parts.aspx

(& scroll down)

"Tie Rod 12mm thread both ends Carver Water Heater

Tie Rod 12mm with thread both ends for Carver Water Heaters. Ties water tank to heat exchanger. Overall length 420mm

THIS ITEM IS NOW OBSOLETE."

"Seal for tie rod for Carver Cascade 2 - Discontinued "

THE GOOD NEWS:-

is that it identifieS the thread size & length, so you should be able to get a threaded rod to suit from a local Fastenings Supplier or Engineering Workshop.

For the Seals try a Bearing & Transmission Distributor, like BSL Brammer

http://www.yell.com/b/Brammer+UK+Ltd-Bearings-Belfast-BT39BW-3810016/index.html

Yes but they may be obsolete but the company at the link I have given has ALL the spares for these (and all other Carver units) and is also able to repair units sent to them. Just give Gary a ring he is most helpful and if there is any possibility of assisting you before your trip he is the sort that will if he can.

All other companies that I know of will just tell you they are obsolete.

Bas

Guest peter
flicka - 2011-03-26 8:47 PM

Hi Gerard

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but on the Leisure Shop Direct website

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/Caravan/gas/Carver_water_heater_parts.aspx

(& scroll down)

"Tie Rod 12mm thread both ends Carver Water Heater

Tie Rod 12mm with thread both ends for Carver Water Heaters. Ties water tank to heat exchanger. Overall length 420mm

THIS ITEM IS NOW OBSOLETE."

"Seal for tie rod for Carver Cascade 2 - Discontinued "

THE GOOD NEWS:-

is that it identifieS the thread size & length, so you should be able to get a threaded rod to suit from a local Fastenings Supplier or Engineering Workshop.

For the Seals try a Bearing & Transmission Distributor, like BSL Brammer

http://www.yell.com/b/Brammer+UK+Ltd-Bearings-Belfast-BT39BW-3810016/index.html

You can probably use Studding. But make sure it's Stainless Steel.

Thanks Paul. Have just checked E-Bay and your right they are available but before i order i will try Gary tomorrow as suggested as i would feel happier speaking to someone who could also guide me through the process of extracting the remainder of the threaded section that has been left in the housing. Any further suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks again.

gmcclin - 2011-03-27 6:28 PM

Thanks Paul. Have just checked E-Bay and your right they are available but before i order i will try Gary tomorrow as suggested as i would feel happier speaking to someone who could also guide me through the process of extracting the remainder of the threaded section that has been left in the housing. Any further suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks again.

You will find plenty of information regarding how to replace the tie-rod on the 'Pre-loved' website forums. There is a massive thread on there (over 180 pages, so it will take some wading through) mostly answered by Gary himself.

Thanks again Paul. I followed your advice and went to the preloved site. That guy Gary is an absolute genius when it comes to Carver. There are 188 pages. I looked through a number of them but decided take the easy option and signed up to it and sent a message on it to Gary. FINGERS CROSSED he gets back to me

Archived