electrolux ignitor problem

Guest Christine Robinson

Guest Christine Robinson
Until this weekend our RM212 3 way fridge worked perfectly. It still does on mains and on 12v. It has now developed a problem when using it on gas. There is a red rocker ignitor switch which should flash and click when in the on position until the burner lights. It now no longer flashes but does click. It will still ignite the gas but continues to click as though it is continuing to try to light the gas even when the gas is lit. I would be really grateful if someone could give me some idea what may have failed and will it necessitate taking the fridge out to repair it. Thanks, Christine

Guest Frank Gordon
I'm unsure whether you have one, or two, problems here. As you say, when the red rocker-switch is moved to the ON position a clicking noise should be heard (indicating that the igniter is 'firing' at the gas-burner assembly at the bottom-rear of the fridge) and the switch should flash in sympathy as a visual confirmation of what's happening. The fact that a clicking noise still occurs and (more importantly) the gas actually lights suggests that the reason the switch no longer flashes may simply be that the bulb in the switch has failed. Removing the switch should allow you to test this theory. The gas-burner assembly has 3 main components - the burner itself, the igniter and a thermocouple that pokes into the gas flame. Essentially, the thermocouple has 2 functions - it allows gas to flow only when the gas is lit and, when the ignition process has been successful, it causes the igniter to cease firing. As the igniter on your fridge continues to fire even after the gas has been lit, this suggests a fault with the thermocouple. I had a similar problem arise on my (later model) fridge after I had cleaned the burner assembly, the only difference being that the igniter switch continued to flash as well as click. I undid the thermocouple from the burner assembly, cleaned it and the part of the assembly that the thermocouple locates into and, after reassembly, everything had returned to normal. It needs saying that I never really knew what had caused the fault (a poor Earth at the thermocouple?) or what I had done to fix it, however, if you can access the burner assembly, then this action might be worth trying. If you are lucky there will be an external ventilation grille that coincides with the gas-burner area: otherwise the fridge will need partial (or complete) removal from its enclosure to allow any testing, maintainance or repair to be carried out on the burner. I suggest you ask a caravan dealer or Dometic service centre about this just in case it's a known problem with a known cure. When was your fridge last serviced? If not recently, then it would be worth getting it done professionally and having the igniter fault addressed at the same time.

Guest Christine Robinson
Thanks for your reply. The clicking we get when the ignition switch is on is not the usual clicking which accompanies the flash but rather a quieter background noise. It is odd that both problems came on together. I have contacted caravan dealers and dormetic service centre and have had numerous different theories. We have had the campervan for three and half years and have never had the fridge serviced. I am not sure it has ever been serviced and the van is 12 years old so I think your suggestion at getting this done and the problem fixed at the same time is a good one. Thanks again, Christine

Archived