Fiat X250 Panel Van body sealant problem

Guest ChrisB

Guest ChrisB

The attached photographs (assuming I can upload them having reduced their size) are of the central offside joint in the panels of a Ducato X250 LWB HT metallic silver grey conversion. There is a crack in the sealant which runs from about halfway (hairline) to the base (about 1mm).

The vehicle is just over 2 years old (58 registration). Is this a common problem with the latest Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen Sevel vans? I recall that I had similar issues with a couple of VW T4 campers over 10 years ago which resulted in some surface rusting (remedied under warranty – both were under 1yr old). I wonder if Fiat cover this under “paintwork”.

Have you looked at yours lately or had similar remedial action taken?

Chris

Detail.thumb.jpg.6af2c1399b1219e262293a30f5c22947.jpg

Panel.thumb.jpg.6b8cb268c53ff4c80b4c2ce3a28e6c82.jpg

Hello,

While it will not hurt to ask Fiat if they will repair it, I would not expect it to cause any problems. The rust that you experienced with the VW is not surprising since they and Mercedes vans until very recently were renowned as rust buckets after even so much as a scratch. Fiat Ducato's have been fully galvanised since 1996 and unless there is a botched repair will not rust on the bodywork at all.

That said, if the problem was not there from new, you should report it to your Fiat dealer ASAP because the body warranty will be quite specific about leaving a problem untreated that is covered by warranty for too long. If it has always been like that why have you not said something sooner?

Nick

Guest ChrisB
euroserv - 2011-03-29 11:23 AM

That said, if the problem was not there from new, you should report it to your Fiat dealer ASAP because the body warranty will be quite specific about leaving a problem untreated that is covered by warranty for too long. If it has always been like that why have you not said something sooner?

Nick

Nick

Thanks - good advice as always. Reassuring to know that the panels are galvanized so the problem is just "cosmetic".

The crack was only evident when the van was recently given a good wash and polish in preparation for the new season.

Coincidentally I was out this morning and saw a couple of (commercial) vans parked alongside each other in town (one Peugeot, one Fiat). Both exhibited the same problem to a greater and lesser degree. Have you noticed anything similar on your fleet?

Perhaps it has been the cold winter? Brittle sealant?

The local dealer has been contacted and seemed unconcerned - he would take next time it was in for service.

Chris

• 4 months later...
Guest ChrisB

Update

After 4 months I have finally got a response from the sevice dept. of my local Fiat dealership reporting back from Fiat who basically sate:

It's a "wear and tear" issue - therefore not covered by warranty

It's caused by body flexing and may occur with all vans

If it was repaired then it would probably re-occur

I now appreciate why so many of the posts on this forum express frustration with Fiat "Customer Services".

Could I ask others with PVCs to check and report back whether they have/have not observed similar problems?

Also if they have managed to persuade Fiat to carry out any remedial action for a similar problem.

I'm assuming there could be similar issues with the Peugeot and Citroen models.

I'll await any responses or advice before contacting Customer Services myself directly tomorrow.

Chris

Hi, I can only confirm yes work was carried out to some, but not all VW, MB builds, as not all needed it. Change of sealant solved the problem if I recall. hope this helps but don't hold your breath for FIAT to help out going on their past performance. You can only but try.
Regards,
Brendan 

Chris,

It is time to get to grips with Fiat Customer Services yourself. The dismissal as wear and tear is complete nonsense. The sealant used is supposed to remain flexible so that the paint will not crack. This is a manufacturing defect.

If they dismiss this again, ask for the case to be reviewed by a supervisor before you take the matter to you local trading standards office. At this time you should ask them to confirm the useful life expectancy of the vehicle. Sounds odd, I know but this will make sure that they realise that you are not messing around.

This vehicle is a commercial vehicle and in spite of the flexing and moving that it will do during it's life it is expected to remain in a tidy condition during it's useful life. As long as nothing abrasive has been used during cleaning, and thet there have been no impacts or repairs you have a right to expect it to remain in the condition that it was when you bought it.

Study the vehicle documents and pay attention to any cleaning advice and to the corrosion prevention and body warranty sections of the manual/warranty books. When you speak with a supervisor at Fiat make sure you are ready to quote back to them anything relevant that you have read in their literature. This will make your case stronger and increase the likelihood that they will make a 'one off' consession and get this sorted out for you.

NONE of my vans; not one, has shown any sign of any sealant cracks or paint separation and many of the earlier ones (07) have now covered more than 250,000 miles, tough ones at that. Some have had major accident repairs and two have been written off. No problems like yours though!

Don't let them get away with this.

Nick

Guest ChrisB

Nick

Thanks for your information and advice. Your input is greatly appreciated on this forum.

It looks as though I may be the only one who has experienced this issue.

I contacted Fiat Customer Services this evening who had no record of the problem - looks as if the rejection was decided between the service manager at the local dealership and an individual at Fiat in Slough without raising a case number.

I now have a "new" claim and a case number and have emailed photographs to Customer Care as requested.

The case has been passed on to a "supervisor" and I have been told I will be contacted again in a few days.

Onecal - yes it is the original Fiat paint job.

A similar problem occurred on a T4 conversion some years ago - rectified immediately by VW with no questions asked.

Off to France for a few weeks now and I'm not going to let this get me down.

Chris

Archived