movelite awning

Suda

Just wondering if I have made an expensive mistake.

We liked the idea of a sheltered outdoor space after draughty days at MMM shows last year and also a place to store the bikes etc. so invested in this "easy to assemble awning" Also got a fixing kit as probably won't be driving away. So has anyone got tips for easy erection;should we fasten it to the awning first or stuff the poles up the sleeves first or even erect the whole thing and drive up to it. Polite and helpful replies please.

I am assuming the "fixing kit" you have is the "drive away kit", a pieces of extruded plastic in the shape of a figure of eight and a thick tape with beading on both sides and you are going to attach it to a wind out awning.

Then the way we do it is as follows:

1 Build the awning complete but not pegged down.

2 Fix the tunnel of the porch to the wind out awning but don't fully extend it as you can then use this to tension it at the end.

3 Move the porch back until the tunnel is tight and then peg the porch down, sit down and have a glass of wine.

4 Mark your wheel positions so that when you return you can line it up reasonably well and make any final adjustments to the tunnel tension using the wind out awning.

Having said all that we no longer bother to connect it, we just use it as stand alone kitchen / store tent.

Hope that helps (lol)

Suda - 2011-03-28 10:22 PM

I feel better already. I gave up camping to motorhome and it all seemed too much like those old days,of wet canvas and a great deal of effort.

Sorry but you still get to put it away wet even in a Spanish june :-S

No need to bring it if coming south into the warmer bits of Europe.........I think you can survive without such things down this way....down here awnings are for shade generally rather than to keep the rain off your heads.

BGD - 2011-03-28 10:53 PM

No need to bring it if coming south into the warmer bits of Europe.........I think you can survive without such things down this way....down here awnings are for shade generally rather than to keep the rain off your heads.

Never been caught in a thunder storm then (?)

I've had to pack up wet down that way in both June and September, but who cares we get so much practice in wales it's second nature :-D

Scuda..

We had a Movelite driveaway awning..but sold without using in anger,as even trying it out on the driveway,was toooo much like going back to tenting (lol)

Had we have kept it though,as we found the the "shoulders"on the poles were difficult to thread through the sleeve(..on our's anyway),I would've altered them,so that they consisted of 4 seperate uprights and 2 roof poles(...so that the shoulders wouldn't need threading all of the way through the sleeve).

I recall someone on another forum actually doing this and apparently it does work.

Chris

pepe63 - 2011-03-30 3:41 PM

Scuda..

We had a Movelite driveaway awning..but sold without using in anger,as even trying it out on the driveway,was toooo much like going back to tenting (lol)

Had we have kept it though,as we found the the "shoulders"on the poles were difficult to thread through the sleeve(..on our's anyway),I would've altered them,so that they consisted of 4 seperate uprights and 2 roof poles(...so that the shoulders wouldn't need threading all of the way through the sleeve).

I recall someone on another forum actually doing this and apparently it does work.

Chris

Oops! sorry..should've addressed that SUDA.. :$

Hi Terry

thanks for the handy hints, we have yet to try our awning (fools!), we are off on holiday in a few weeks and thought we would look like complete novices on site, give everyone else something to laugh about. I am going to print off your instructions and I think perhaps a ride out to a quiet spot with the van and awning would be prudent.

T5T

Hi Terry

thanks for the handy hints, we have yet to try our awning (fools!), we are off on holiday in a few weeks and thought we would look like complete novices on site, give everyone else something to laugh about. I am going to print off your instructions and I think perhaps a ride out to a quiet spot with the van and awning would be prudent.

SORRY FOR SOME REASON IT HAS POSTED THIS TWICE.

We have a movelite and don't worry it really is a piece of cake to put up. Slide the poles through the sleeves and et voila it pops up to be dome shaped then move it to the required position adjacent to the van, peg down.We don't have wind out awning so throw the straps over the roof of the van and pull tight.. Then sit in and pour the tipple of your choice. Half an hour tops. I know you said you were a tenter but one thing i didn't have but bought soon after were some rock pegs and a mallet!!!

Happy vanning

Rog :-D

Archived