April 8 is Caravan Club peak season.....why?

mikemoss

£90 to stay on a club site!!!! No thanks.

Ive stayed here which is a couple of miles up the road from Looe. Its a CC CL. £10 a night with EHU and some lovely walks around its own pond with a few Lamas thrown in for good measure. Might be full at Easter I dont know.

Polborder CL Looe Cornwall.

Telephone: 01503 240486

Email: jacky@polborder.co.uk

Im off to the Isle of Arran for a couple of weeks over the wedding and Easter weekends. £140 on the ferry but no need to book or indeed pay for camping once your there.

wildy2.jpg.a7892316b2c7a7cff463701839e306fa.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman

Having been a member of the CC for nearly 20 years, it's seems to be not so much a club nowdays but a very nice meal ticket for those who run it *-)

I wonder how many of those in charge have a caravan/motorhome and use it on a regular basis, apart from the token ralley ;-)

I have just returned home from a C C C Rally at Birchwood Caravan Park at Wareham Dorset, Full facility site, £7-25 with electric, could have stayed on after the Rally for the same price, miles of forest to wander,plenty of space etc. so that's the answer, use C C C Rallies and T H S more often.SIMPLES.

aultymer - 2011-03-30 11:18 AM  and prices are  part based, as they should be, on the number of people in  a unit.

All these add on's, £'s per person, £'s per child, £'s per dog etc, I can understand paying them in a Hotel, but I've got the lodgings with me. All I should be paying for is the pitch + EHU.

Dave

I am not in England but according to the newspapers some of the schools are off from next Monday 4th April for 2 weeks. They go back for a few days and then are off again for Easter, then back, then off again for the 'Wedding'. There may also be another holiday Monday in there as well. So all in all there are about 4 days education in the month in some places.

Why the education chiefs and the church people cannot get together and agree when Easter and school holdays can be at the same time, does seem illogical.

We have booked a C&CC site in York for what we now discover is Easter weekend, although I did not realise this when I booked. We booked as we are sailing from Hull on the Sunday. It is costing me $43.50 for 2 nights + EHU, which is higher than normal, but I suppose acceptable for Easter weekend.

kelly58 - 2011-03-30 12:25 PM

I have two " Free " over night camping vouchers for the CC thanks to Which Motorhome Magazine and upon enquiring about using them later this year , but because I am not  a CC member I will have to pay £8 p/n to use them , so not as " Free " as you think.

Still £8 per night for a pitch (in High Season if you wish) at a CC site is excellent value. You were lucky or fortunate to get these. Enjoy!

As a couple who previously had to holiday in school holiday times, we chose the cheapest time of the Easter Holiday - not all clubs or sites have "High Season" for the whole of the 2 weeks that a school is likely to be closed.

As someone else has pointed out, CCC Temporary Holiday Sites offer excelllent value for members (including those with families), especially in High Season. For those who have "full facility vans" they may be ideal.

This is just one of the reasons why we are CCC members (as well as CC members). The CC also does similar meets.

nowtelse2do - 2011-03-30 8:32 PM
aultymer - 2011-03-30 11:18 AM  and prices are  part based, as they should be, on the number of people in  a unit.

All these add on's, £'s per person, £'s per child, £'s per dog etc, I can understand paying them in a Hotel, but I've got the lodgings with me. All I should be paying for is the pitch + EHU.

Dave

But more people in in a unit means more use of the facilities, you're not just paying for the pitch. And if you say you don't use the facilities why do you stay on a site with them when you could pay less staying on a site (CL/CS etc) without them?

camper69 - 2011-03-30 10:43 PM

Dave

But more people in in a unit means more use of the facilities, you're not just paying for the pitch. And if you say you don't use the facilities why do you stay on a site with them when you could pay less staying on a site (CL/CS etc) without them?
I think there is an advantage here for some sites to provide MH parking for self sufflcient motorhomes. I wildcamp mostly or use CL sites and I spend most of my time abroad. On some sites abroad they have Aire type sites attached to campsites where its cheaper if you just park up and use your own facilities.On one German site the actual campsite was packed but there was a lovely little place outside in a field where you could park without hookup for half the price. On that occasion you were still allowed to use the site facilities but I wouldnt be bothered if they set asside a small area for vans to park up for say £5 to £10 with no facilities accept dumping and water.Im not tight but prefer to use my own on board facilities. Why on earth would I pay £20+ just to park my van for a night. I think campsites would attract more people like me if they had a MH only low cost self sufficent facility.

Dave

I think there is an advantage here for some sites to provide MH parking for self sufflcient motorhomes. I wildcamp mostly or use CL sites and I spend most of my time abroad. On some sites abroad they have Aire type sites attached to campsites where its cheaper if you just park up and use your own facilities.On one German site the actual campsite was packed but there was a lovely little place outside in a field where you could park without hookup for half the price. On that occasion you were still allowed to use the site facilities but I wouldnt be bothered if they set asside a small area for vans to park up for say £5 to £10 with no facilities accept dumping and water.Im not tight but prefer to use my own on board facilities. Why on earth would I pay £20+ just to park my van for a night. I think campsites would attract more people like me if they had a MH only low cost self sufficent facility.

Dave

The facilities are already being paid for in the price of the pitch. Also more and more sites are now charging you if you put an awning up even if it's a pull out one. Are you seriously saying it cost's £3.50p a night extra for a child to have a wash and a pee.

I do on occasions use C.L's, but have found that quite a few are in a field full of cow or sheep crap

Dave

Dave

Barryd999 - 2011-03-30 11:23 PM

Im not tight but prefer to use my own on board facilities. Why on earth would I pay £20+ just to park my van for a night. I think campsites would attract more people like me if they had a MH only low cost self sufficent facility.

Absolutely right Barry. I say something along those lines every time there's a thread about "Sites vs Aires" on here.

I don't mind AT ALL paying for what I need (parking space, fresh water, waste disposal) but having already bought my toilet and shower (at significant cost!), I don't really want to keep paying again for those things every time I stay the night somewhere. Unfortunately, the UK industry still hasn't grasped this concept (or maybe "grasping" is exactly what they're doing!).

Would you expect to have to pay for a room every time you went for a drink in a pub? Same principle.

Although I do not have a dog and have no intention of getting one I cannot believe what some of these sites charge a night for a dog all they need is some drinking water , but I bet there would be a hell of a to-do if the dog was taken into the shower for a wash and brush up when in fact it has been charged for that facility.

kelly58 - 2011-03-31 8:02 PM

Although I do not have a dog.....but I bet there would be a hell of a to-do if the dog was taken into the shower for a wash and brush up when in fact it has been charged for that facility.

We don't have a dog either...so maybe we should go and take a d*mp on the "dog walk" next time,just to get our moneys worth? (lol)

(sorry for shortening your post)

pepe63 - 2011-04-01 4:46 PM

kelly58 - 2011-03-31 8:02 PM

Although I do not have a dog.....but I bet there would be a hell of a to-do if the dog was taken into the shower for a wash and brush up when in fact it has been charged for that facility.

We don't have a dog either...so maybe we should go and take a d*mp on the "dog walk" next time,just to get our moneys worth? (lol)

(sorry for shortening your post)

Well as long as you pick it up and dispose of it yourself instead of flushing it down the loo you might have a point!! (lol)

Maybe I am a little off the topic..but the cost of Motorhoming with the site fees inc is beginning to hurt.

M`home and wife to Cornwall..rack up the diesel.[1000 mile round trip].add in the site fees..yes free transport [oldies card?] if there is a bus service? a tidy sum is required [[not counting Road tax/ins/MOT/servicing..you get the picture.]

Our first Van trip was [in 1975] in a tranny I "converted".seats out of the `bus` tongue and grooved floor..tin opener to remove the top.We travelled Europe..France/Belgium/Germany/Luxemburg/Switzerland on a shoestring.

I am trying to paint a picture of someone who has enjoyed his `Van` but is now thinking hard about alternativesand why he keeps on trucking.

A not too long ago trip to Hendra for 5 nights cost us near £330 pounds [without tax/repairs/ etc inc]..where as 5 nights/6 days stay[the same time] in St Ives..coach travel +1/2 board 4* and comfort..cost us £308.[we were.in the centre..no travel time..we were there on the front]..Could go on..5 nights in a good hotel [meals inc] + travel to and from.Blackpool..£100..cost me more in diesel?

I am going to Peterborough..but this could be the last??

Our 50th Wedding anniversary on the 8th April..a week in Malta ..costs about the same as going to peterborough???Thank god we can manage both???

cheetahdavie - 2011-04-02 12:59 AM

Maybe I am a little off the topic..but the cost of Motorhoming with the site fees inc is beginning to hurt.

M`home and wife to Cornwall..rack up the diesel.[1000 mile round trip].add in the site fees..yes free transport [oldies card?] if there is a bus service? a tidy sum is required [[not counting Road tax/ins/MOT/servicing..you get the picture.]

Our first Van trip was [in 1975] in a tranny I "converted".seats out of the `bus` tongue and grooved floor..tin opener to remove the top.We travelled Europe..France/Belgium/Germany/Luxemburg/Switzerland on a shoestring.

I am trying to paint a picture of someone who has enjoyed his `Van` but is now thinking hard about alternativesand why he keeps on trucking.

A not too long ago trip to Hendra for 5 nights cost us near £330 pounds [without tax/repairs/ etc inc]..where as 5 nights/6 days stay[the same time] in St Ives..coach travel +1/2 board 4* and comfort..cost us £308.[we were.in the centre..no travel time..we were there on the front]..Could go on..5 nights in a good hotel [meals inc] + travel to and from.Blackpool..£100..cost me more in diesel?

I am going to Peterborough..but this could be the last??

Our 50th Wedding anniversary on the 8th April..a week in Malta ..costs about the same as going to peterborough???Thank god we can manage both???

Please dont loose heart with your motorhoming lifestyle. Yes its a pain that sites and diesel are so expensive but I reckon it can still be a low cost holiday (forgeting for a minute how much we spent on our vans).

At the risk of becoming a Wild camping, CL and Aires bore you really can tour even in this country for next to nothing. Take for example our UK trip last September/October. Ok we drove all the way to Cornwall and Devon so a lot of diesel. However we were away for 5 weeks and I was amazed at the cost of frankly some lovely CL sites in Devon and Cornwall.

On the way down we stayed on one in the Forest of Dean which was delightful and £3.50 a night (no I havent missed a zero off). Most of the CL sites we stayed on were around the £4-6 mark. One near St Michaels Mount had hookup and was £8.50 and I think the one at Salcombe with hookup was £7.50. We ended up on a CL in Flamborough for 10 nights at the end of the trip on a lovely CL at £6 a night.

If you go off touring Europe for a couple of months as we will be doing in the summer I cant think of a cheaper and easier way of doing it. Nearly all the sites we have planned in France are Aires or wild spots and virtually all of them will be free. In Germany I will use Stellplatz which are a few Euros. The only place I think Im likely to have to splash out on a campsite is Switzerland. I think I might also stay a bit longer in places and do a few less miles. When in Germany I will stock up with crates of cheap Pils Lager from Lidl (about 50p a litre) and hope the Swiss dont weigh the van again at the border!

I would sell my house before I would get rid of the van! Actually thats not a bad idea.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D 8-)

Sorry. I'm struggling with this.

A well spec'ed panel van conversion can cost over £50K.

A new RV can cost way more than that, yet these same people complain about the cost of staying on a well equipped and maintained campsite with electric hook up etc. If you dont want the facilities and claim to not need them, then go elsewhere. Stay on CLs, the owners will appreciate your custom.

In reality, you will find that people will spend ten of thousands on an exotic piece of kit still want a full facility site as they do not want to use the facilities in their outfit. Why complain about the cost if it is lower than a night in a Travel Lodge or Premier Inn?

Just a thought.......

My own take on this subject is value for money, or not.

Take or example a CL I've just booked, the owner has just raised his fees by 25%. No extra resources are being offered.

OK, it's his site he can charge what he wants, and of course we can choose whether to patronise him or not but an increase of this size is going some.

A site nearby his place really opened my eyes too. OK, I accept judging individual sites and prices is bonkers really but crikey what a shock.

The site is nothing to get excited about, average facilities, not near to anything of note and the cheapest pitch they have on offer is £20 for a non electric grass job.

Little wonder they had vacancies 8-)

Martyn

Wills, it's a matter of choice, yes I have all the facilities in the van but only use them for emergencies. I like life's little luxuries. So I use site's mostly, CL's sometime, I consider wild camping and aires an emergency. :-D

Just realised your name is Shaun. Welome to the forum.

Dave

wills5138 - 2011-04-02 9:37 PM

Sorry. I'm struggling with this.

A well spec'ed panel van conversion can cost over £50K.

A new RV can cost way more than that, yet these same people complain about the cost of staying on a well equipped and maintained campsite with electric hook up etc. If you dont want the facilities and claim to not need them, then go elsewhere. Stay on CLs, the owners will appreciate your custom.

In reality, you will find that people will spend ten of thousands on an exotic piece of kit still want a full facility site as they do not want to use the facilities in their outfit. Why complain about the cost if it is lower than a night in a Travel Lodge or Premier Inn?

Just a thought.......

Well said!

Archived