Vosa

nasher

Yes on the A40 Ross on Wye..Van was only 18 months old they just gave it a cursery look over. and sent me on my way.. I have been stopped before driving a BT van and they went to town on it and did not find anything wrong.. :-D

Guest Tracker

Do you mean the A17?

The A47 goes from Great Yarmouth to the other side of Leicester if my memory serves me correctly?

We too got stopped on the A40 at Ross several years ago - the guy just walked round the van once and waved us on - mind you it was hissing with rain at the time (often does in that area) and he did look exceedingly hissed off!

Yes ! last Friday on the M6 just north of Birmingham, but not in the M/H.

I was driving a Jeep Wrangler 4dr towing a box van trailer, apparently upto a couple of months ago they had to have the police stop you, but now I suppose because they are sacking all the policemen the powers that be have given VOSA the right, so more checks I would expect.

The Vosa car pulled in front on me and I had to follow, taken just off the motorway. The first question from the pleasant enough guy, was this private or business ?

Because it's my nature to tell the truth I told him that I do use the trailer for my wife's business.

Due to the jeep being classed as a multi purpose vehicle then the GVW being in excess off 3500kgs I would have to have a tacho fitted to be only used when I was towing for business use, or a £200 fine. Not that he was going to fine me just issue a prohibition notice giving me 7 days usage.

However if I was towing for private use or with a car or the m/h then having a tacho does not apply.

When I pointed out vans towing mini diggers or where I live land Rovers towing Ivor Williams loaded with sheep, hay or what ever then they should have tachos, apparently, yes and Vosa inspectors have told to target this type of arrangement.

What a waste of time ! because if you are not towing then you wont need to use the tacho even if you have one fitted, so in my case towing a couple of times a month it unlikely that I would be over the commercial driving limits.

I did take the opportunity to bring up AFrames, he thought that along as it was braked then he couldn't see a problem, and in point of fact he used to grass track race a mini with tyres that where not road legal so he used a dolly !

When I pointed out that I thought they where only to be used for emergency recovery only, he didn't reply and I thought it was time to take my leave, I took the notice thanked him.

However one little snippet of info came out of all this was in his opinion the police are only interested in unsecured looking loads, so if your rig looks proper your probably be OK but expect more VOSA pulls.

takeaflight - 2011-03-30 12:24 AM

Yes ! last Friday on the M6 just north of Birmingham, but not in the M/H.

I was driving a Jeep Wrangler 4dr towing a box van trailer, apparently upto a couple of months ago they had to have the police stop you, but now I suppose because they are sacking all the policemen the powers that be have given VOSA the right, so more checks I would expect.

The Vosa car pulled in front on me and I had to follow, taken just off the motorway. The first question from the pleasant enough guy, was this private or business ?

Because it's my nature to tell the truth I told him that I do use the trailer for my wife's business.

Due to the jeep being classed as a multi purpose vehicle then the GVW being in excess off 3500kgs I would have to have a tacho fitted to be only used when I was towing for business use, or a £200 fine. Not that he was going to fine me just issue a prohibition notice giving me 7 days usage.

However if I was towing for private use or with a car or the m/h then having a tacho does not apply.

When I pointed out vans towing mini diggers or where I live land Rovers towing Ivor Williams loaded with sheep, hay or what ever then they should have tachos, apparently, yes and Vosa inspectors have told to target this type of arrangement.

What a waste of time ! because if you are not towing then you wont need to use the tacho even if you have one fitted, so in my case towing a couple of times a month it unlikely that I would be over the commercial driving limits.

I did take the opportunity to bring up AFrames, he thought that along as it was braked then he couldn't see a problem, and in point of fact he used to grass track race a mini with tyres that where not road legal so he used a dolly !

When I pointed out that I thought they where only to be used for emergency recovery only, he didn't reply and I thought it was time to take my leave, I took the notice thanked him.

However one little snippet of info came out of all this was in his opinion the police are only interested in unsecured looking loads, so if your rig looks proper your probably be OK but expect more VOSA pulls.

Hi 'Comercial Driving Limits' do not just apply to driving they include other non driving work for your weekly total! So you could possibly go over that limit!

Regards Pat

takeaflight - 2011-03-30 12:24 AM

, apparently upto a couple of months ago they had to have the police stop you, but now I suppose because they are sacking all the policemen the powers that be have given VOSA the right, so more checks I would expect.

Vosa have had the powers to stop private vehicles for years, they just don't usually bother.

In respect of the trailer /tacho issue, take a read of the GV262 leaflet, this gives you all the exemptions from having to have a tach fitted, this exerpt (?) forms part of it and is relevent in a lot of cases.

Vehicles or combinations of vehicles with a maximum permissible mass not exceeding 7.5 tonnes that are used: •• for carrying materials, equipment or machinery, This would apply to tradesmen such as electricians or for the driver’s use in the course of his work. builders carrying tools or materials for their own use. These vehicles shall be used only within a 50 km radius of the base of the undertaking and on the condition that driving the vehicle does not constitute the driver’s main activity.

Nasher,

Used to live just around the 'corner' from that checkpoint on the A17

Sleaford roundabout.

Soon after we bought our first MH in May 2004 we were on our way to

a weighbridge at Sleaford. Got pulled over at the aforementioned checkpoint

by a nice young VOSA chappie who explained that Motorhomes were flavour

of the month at the moment as several had been noted over weight.

Explained we were on our way to the weighbridge to whit he replied this will save you some money then.

We were fully loaded for an upcoming trip away, and thankfully after they weighed front and rear axles separately found to have 75 Kgs spare.

Not a lot spare but a very accurate reading. After that we noted them 'pulling' over motorhomes on quite a few occasions.

There is a VOSA checkpoint in regular use at the A160 junction with Manby Road, Immingham.

It's an exit for Immingham Docks & when operating there is always a long queue of Artic's from the continent lined up.

I have only seen the odd Motorhome in the queue, they appear to concentrate on foreign vehicles coming off the Ferries.

They also regularly stop Cars/Vans on the A160 westbound opposite the Conoco Refinery.(but do not have weighing facilities at this location).

These vehicles shall be used only within a 50 km radius of the base of the undertaking and on the condition that driving the vehicle does not constitute the driver’s main activity

This probably explains his comments that if I avoided motorways and stuck to around 20 mile radius I would probably be alright.

However I have now given up delivering for my wifes small business and intend to only use the trailer for private use.

Archived