tilt bed smart car trailer

terry1956

Hi all, sometime back i book marked a dealer of tilt bed smart car trailers some where in the the south west. however my PC got the buy and had to be replaced and i losted the bookmarks. can anyone tell me the maker. I have a normal ramped trailer but hate the way the ramps need to be placed under the car and the whole deal of playing around with ramps in the pouring rain, etc.

thanks, terry

terry1956 - 2011-03-30 9:35 AM

Hi all, sometime back i book marked a dealer of tilt bed smart car trailers some where in the the south west. however my PC got the buy and had to be replaced and i losted the bookmarks. can anyone tell me the maker. I have a normal ramped trailer but hate the way the ramps need to be placed under the car and the whole deal of playing around with ramps in the pouring rain, etc.

thanks, terry

Why not just buy an A frame. A lot easier to use. Takes up less space.

AND.....................................................................................

NOT

ILLEGAL (lol)

Maybe email Brian James Trailers ?

Maybe a stock item for small racers. They make one for a Caterham, but trailer length may be a fraction too long for a city car.

Rgds

PS

from memory their non tilt trail had a lift and "shove" storage facility, the ramps slide under the trailer bed, without having to be lifted at the trailer end of the ramp (if you get what I mean ??)

Rgds

Hi terry

I know what you mean, the ramps are quite heavy and I found that with the car loaded you had to almost get on your hands and knees to locate the ramps for travel.

So I bolted on angle iron to the trailer chassis to act as guides allowing the lugs on the ramps to self locate, made life so much easier.

However on selling the Smart and changing to a C3 the BJT Smart trailer had to go.

Now I use http://www.woodfordtrailers.com/trailersa_019.htm but the tilt version, single axle.

It's been ideal, no more bending down. It's a little longer than a standard one, to allow for the hydraulic pump, but have used it throughout Europe without problems. Also it came in handy to recover a mates M3 and to collect a ride on lawn tractor.

I think Brain James trailers make the Bantam, not that is an issue, in fact I believe the one photo on their web site may even be BJT showroom at Daventry.

Woodford make or made a Smart car trailer for another seller who sell or sold it under their name.

takeaflight - 2011-03-31 1:42 PM

I think Brain James trailers make the Bantam, not that is an issue, in fact I believe the one photo on their web site may even be BJT showroom at Daventry.

Woodford make or made a Smart car trailer for another seller who sell or sold it under their name.

Not quite correct.

According to the guy at Bantam when we purchased ours. Bantam trailers made the original Smart Car Trailer.

Brian James makes a trailer with the name Bantam which he claimes was a copy of the original Bantam trailer for which Brian James were an agent.

The Company that trades as Smart Car Trailers were also agents for Bantam and went off and made their own copy.

takeaflight - 2011-03-31 1:44 PM

terry1956 - 2011-03-31 8:58 AM

Thanks chaps, will have a look, as to the A frame, hate them used one once never never again. michael

Out of interest because I have been thinking about swooping to an A Frame,

What issues did you have ?

Me too *-)

John J Thompson - 2011-03-31 12:58 PM

http://www.bantamtrailers.co.uk/smart.html

Ramps are lightweight aluminium and are easy to handle and locate.

They probably are on the Smart version, but I had the larger one and they were a prize pain in the proverbial. Easy to locate with no car on the trailer, but getting them to go into their transit storage points when you had a car on was very difficult : it was necessary to get them under the spring lugs at the front angled up, which wasn't possible with the car there. I ended up carrying blocks of wood to hammer the damned things back in. Whoever designed that hadn't thought it through and tried it with a car without high ground clearance. Why theycouldn't just slot below the load bed instead of between the tracks is beyond me. As I say, the Smart's higher & shorter so probably isn't an issue with that.

I also wasn't impressed with the steadies/legs...only way I could get the trailer to stop tipping was to tighten these in position using a two foot length of pole.

In answer. thanks for the feedback. first off the A frame, why i hated it. first off i don,t like crawling around on the ground undoing conections from the car to the frame. you can,t reverse an A frame and with my other half i do a lot of reversing. on one europeon trip i was stopped two times by police due to the A frame, ok thye let me carry on but its a pain.

As to the ramps on smart car trailers, yes they are a total pain to relocate when the car is on the trailer. Its a mix of the weight and the bad fixing points.

When i made the hymer french I had to sale the smart car trailer and get an ifor williams CT115. the reason being that in france trailers have their own log book, insurance and number plate if over 750kg, and they would not issue this for a UK trailer unless they had a france dealership,

due to selling up in france, the hymer is back on UK plates, so no need for the longer trailer.

The ifor williams is a great trailer, light to use, tows great and a better design all round, but its just too long.

I don,t wish to go backwards with A frames and badly designed trailers no matter what their brand name. A nice ramp free short trailer would suit me fine. michael

Archived