Sat Navs for an Ignorant Kiwi

alistair

A few months back, this forum gave me some very useful advice on sat navs. Between earthquakes here in Christchurch NZ, I've been looking at options and decided that I rather like the Garmin Nuvi 3790t. In particular, the slimness appeals as it would make it very easy to carry in a pocket when out of the van. However, it's rather expensive so I'm still pondering about value for money. Reviews of every sat nav known to man seem to cover the range of opinions from fantastic to useless, and this one is no exception. Anyone out there have experience of this model?

I see on Amazon that lifetime updates are about 53 pounds. Is that about normal?

Are friction mounts useful? Are they the same as bean bag mounts?

Finally, if POIs are on SD card, do you have to select the SD card to get access to what's on it, or does its data merge with what's already in the sat nav's memory so if you ask for a POI nearby, it brings up what the sat nav came with plus those on the SD card?

We're escaping the aftershocks for three months in UK & Europe from the end of May so I need to get on with the sat nav purchase and all advice is welcomed.

Alistair

Are you sure of the number 3690t because I cannot find that on Amazon.

I have had a Garmin 1690 for a couple of months. It uses a micro sd card which I use for POI. These POI are automatically accessed so you do not have to select the card for this to happen.

The reviews on Amazon and elsewhere are somewhat frustrating to read with a mixture of people who are for and against a particular model. I read them, made up my mind and took the plunge.

Regarding map updates you do get a free update when making the purchase. This had to be done within six weeks of purchase. The update does take a long time (about 2 hours) even with a fast broadband connection

alistair - 2011-03-31 9:27 AM

A few months back, this forum gave me some very useful advice on sat navs. Between earthquakes here in Christchurch NZ, I've been looking at options and decided that I rather like the Garmin Nuvi 3790t. In particular, the slimness appeals as it would make it very easy to carry in a pocket when out of the van. However, it's rather expensive so I'm still pondering about value for money. Reviews of every sat nav known to man seem to cover the range of opinions from fantastic to useless, and this one is no exception. Anyone out there have experience of this model?

I see on Amazon that lifetime updates are about 53 pounds. Is that about normal?

Are friction mounts useful? Are they the same as bean bag mounts?

Finally, if POIs are on SD card, do you have to select the SD card to get access to what's on it, or does its data merge with what's already in the sat nav's memory so if you ask for a POI nearby, it brings up what the sat nav came with plus those on the SD card?

We're escaping the aftershocks for three months in UK & Europe from the end of May so I need to get on with the sat nav purchase and all advice is welcomed.

Alistair

No personal experience but I to am looking at a new satnav and the garmin 3790T along with tomtom go live 1005 are at the top of my list. The 3790 has received very good reports in the UK and is widely praised, ignore Amazon customer reviews you would never buy anything if you took any notice of them. You can buy in UK from around £210, you do not have to select SD card for poi's. The friction mount is similiar to a bean bag one in the way it works and seems to be very good, lifetime updates about average.

I'm a big TomTom fan but urge you to avoid the 1000 range.  They are a backward step in that a lot of the functionality has been removed.  It was rumoured that some of it would be restored after Christmas 2010 but I don't think that has come about yet.

My old TomTom died just before Christmas 2010 and I needed to replace it.  I only looked at the TomTom range as I like they way they look and feel.  I went for the best spec before the 1000 series and plumped for the Go 750 'LIVE' http://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-GO-LIVE-750-Sat/dp/B002LZUD68/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301581718&sr=8-1.

This gives me UK and Europe mapping in a widescreen format and a free first year subcription to 'LIVE' traffic updates both in the UK and Europe.  The 'LIVE' facility has already saved me sitting in long traffic delays on a couple of occasions both here and in Belgium and I will take out a subscription when the first free year expires.

The major advantage over the 'normal' satnav is that not only will it get you to where you want to go it will also tell you how far ahead a traffic jam is and direct you around it.

Alistair, if you need any Garmin POIs of Aires or Stellplatz etc, let me know via a PM and I'd be happy to send them to you.

W2G

Way2 go, I note your comment about the go live 1000 series. I have put off buying this satnav for some time now but need to make purchase in next few weeks. Although it looks a great unit I to was concerned about the lack of some facilities, especially third party poi,s. However tomtom have now assured me this has all been sorted out and you can now add them.

My Tom Tom xl recently died after 3 years and even a new battery wouldn't revive it so I've been put off TT although i liked using it. Looked at garmin and then someone on here put me onto Snooper. Expensive but we will be travelling for 6 months or more in a couple of years time towing trailer so now i'm in a quandry (?)

Hi Alistair.  Since you seem to be planning another trip north, I (and, I guess, we all) hope this means the quakes in Christchurch have not affected you directly?

One thing you haven't mentioned, so may be unaware of, is that if you get a Garmin and also buy the lifetime updates, you gain the option to load the update to your Garmin, to your PC, or to both.  With the update loaded to your PC, you can then download (free, from the Garmin website) and run a programme called MapSource, that will enable you to do a lot of route planning on your PC using the same map set as on the Garmin.

You can also set your own POIs, and view and adjust downloaded POIs, in MapSource, (this is much easier on a PC screen than on a sat nav screen!) and transfer the POI files direct to the Garmin sat-nav using another free Garmin download called POI Loader. 

The final cherry on the cake is that if you open a POI file in MapSource (basically a file of related (if you are a tidy housekeeper :-)) POIs - for example campsites) MapSource gives you a pull-down option to "view in Google Earth", which (always providing you are on-line) starts Google Earth and loads all your POIs, so that you can test their actual locations "on the ground".  This can be very useful in allowing you to spot and resolve potential navigation problems: for example where someone has entered the co-ordinates from, say, a pitch on a campsite, rather than from the site entrance, and the Garmin tries to get you in down a different road and through the emergency escape, because that road was nearest that pitch!  It can happen!  :-)

Regarding reading an SD card, our Nuvi has all POIs on SD and reads them flawlessly.

It had full European mapping from new, but within two updates the mapping exceeded its resident memory capacity, so I now have Europe ex UK maps on the SD card, and UK and Ireland maps on the resident memory.  These are loaded from MapSource rather than directly from the Garmin website, which allows the maps to be split between resident and SD memory, and the Nuvi simply uses the maps relevant to its location with no prompts needed.  It seems simply to treat both resident and SD memory as contiguous, and moves from t'other to which seamlessly.

So, if you buy an SD card for whatever you get, future proof it by getting a biggun (subject to stated limit of readability and type compatibility)!  Hope this helps with the choice.

Final consideration.  Personal view, but I would go for a relatively simple device with the useful stuff like lane guidance (which is good) but would avoid the models with add-ons.  Ours has a VHF transmitter that locates a "silent" patch in the radio wavebands so that it can broadcast its voice guidance over the car radio, which has to be tuned to the Nuvi transmitter frequency.  First impression very good: nice clear voice over van speakers.  50 miles down the road the silent patch had been taken over by a local radio station, so just as we entered the town the Nuvi's dulcet tones were hi-jacked by frenetic pop music.  After a re-tune, and another similar experience at another town, I gave up and haven't used it since!  The built in speaker is a little tinny, but perfectly clearly audible, so the transmitter trick was just a silly, pointless, gimmick that upped the cost.

FWIW, I am an ignorant Brit at present in Kiwiland. I have an TT XL with europe maps on it (obviously for use in Europe).

I downloaded the TT NZ maps and TT POIs and found that the mapping in general is quite good. Especially around the Auckland Motorway System.

(Those that have experinced the Auckland Rush hour crossing the Harbour Bridge have REALLY had the true Kiwi experience !) Makes the M25 childs play !

A couple of times the TT got confused in the country, mainly because the roads had been realigned from two to three lane with slow lanes / overtaking lanes.

In the town areas the TT was a very good, The road marking system is different from the UK, and it is very easy to get in the wrong lane, and there are some hard Kiwi drivers that giving way is a blow their pride.

Calculation of journey times were spot on, and the POIs (attractions and Motels all good)

Still trying to work out which is more scary, Auckland chicks in their 4X4s or the Farmers in their Uts (Hiluxes abound here !)

Rgds

We replaced our ancient TT 300, GO which lasted for many years, battery finally gave up. Bought the TT XXL , Hubby is very pkeased with it. Has a bigger screen, so better for visual. Like the lane change warning part. Halfords seem to have a good selection on display

PJay

Many thanks to all who responded. It's all very helpful.

I wonder what people think of voice activation? The Nuvi 3760 seems to be like the 3790, but without voice activation. Anyone have any comments about its usefulness?

For those who mentioned our earthquake, our house is seriously damaged (cracked and sunk foundations, among other things) but as long as we can put up with doors jamming and bumps in the floor, it's perfectly liveable. We're so much better off than the many whose houses are no longer habitable, and our troubles are nothing like those in Japan. We can manage for years as we are (and we probably will have to as construction resources are very sretched). The city has changed for ever, but it's still home.

Brian, many thanks for the MapSource information, among other comments. Very interesting.

Tonyishuk: I take issue with you that Auckland in rush hour is the real kiwi experience. The rest of the country regards Auckland as virtually another country, and its traffic problems are legend. Most of the country is troubled only rarely by traffic problems, although Christchurch is bad at present because the CBD and a number of main streets around it and in the suburbs are closed due to quake damage. Yes, the 4x4s are a menace in the cities and the utes in the countryside often appear to be driven by someone who thinks they own the road, but driving is generally easier than in the UK, although road courtesy here is often lacking. Enjoy your time here, and spend lots of money!

Alistair

Alistair, FWIW i ihave just gone for the Garmin 3790t £225 amazon. went for voice activation as i thought it would be handy when driving!?

We've got good friends just outside christchurch and they've suffered serious damage but as they said things could be so much worse! They're still using a chemical loo and said if thats all they've got to woory about etc etc.....

safe trip

Hi,

Just add, you have no argument from us, we visted Gisborne (used to live there 30 odd years ago, Has not changed that much ?) Once out of Auckland and in the country driving is easy.

Anothe reason for reply is that,

I do not know if you are aware, but there is are freeware maps for Garmin from NZ open Source mapping that will load into a Garmin. I loaded them into my Etrex, (good little tool when walking, but not a road sat nav. Using mapsource, Routes and times can be calculated.

http://nzopengps.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6&Itemid=11

They might be loadable into other garmin Sat Navs ? The downloads are .img files which I think are used by other Garmin units.

Rgds

Thanks for the website, Tony. Looks interesting. I wonder if the maps are as comprehensive as those you'd get from Garmin, and if they include street maps in built-up areas.

Hopesy, your friends are fairly typical of thousands in the east and south of the city where the sewerage system is broken or clogged with silt. We're in the south, but our street sewer has been cleaned out and has been pronounced workable. We're very fortunate in that respect. The rivers are polluted by sewage that overflows from the damaged system but at least that's only a temporary (some months) situation We were without electricity for 3 days and water for 12, but life is close to normal for us now, except for the broken house. We're very lucky.

Alistair

Way2Go: Tried to send you a PM but it seems to be stuck in the outbox. I can't see how to actually send it. What do I do after I click "submit" to actually send it?

Graham: I presume you're back home now. I hope you and Gean enjoyed your NZ tour. Will be in touch by email soon. Many thanks for the website. Very interesting.

Alistair

alistair - 2011-04-03 11:50 PM Way2Go: Tried to send you a PM but it seems to be stuck in the outbox. I can't see how to actually send it. What do I do after I click "submit" to actually send it?

Hi Alistair, it's still in your outbox because I haven't opened it yet due to me being away for the weekend.  I'm gonna open it now and answer it :-)

W2G

Thanks W2G. Got your message. So that's how it works!

In my reply to W2G's PM, I commented that I find the kindness of forum contributors amazing. There is an incredible amount of knowledge and experience out there that people are willing to share, and it has been extremely helpful to us over the years. I have tried to reciprocate by providing what I hope is useful advice for a few of those planning a NZ tour, but whatever I put in, I get a lot more out.

Many thanks to all.

Alistair

alistair - 2011-04-03 4:36 AM

Tony. Looks interesting. I wonder if the maps are as comprehensive as those you'd get from Garmin, and if they include street maps in built-up areas.

Alistair

Apologies for not replying, been siting in the big silver bird returning to the UK !

The maps (Open Source) seem at least as good as those on my Tomtom, in fact there were a number of unmetalled roads/ paths shown which did not show on the TT at all. Any tracks taken from my Etrex (generaly) were spot on the open source road network and the POIs pretty accurate as well. Certainly in the Auckland area, seemed well covered when I down loaded tracks.

I have the impression that the Open source uses local knowlege to maintain the maps, I have no knowledge of the Garmin produced maps.

Rgds

I would like everyone to know that Alistair was particularly helpful to me on my recent visit to NZ in providing me with an itinerary that he had prepared previously. We followed it almost to the letter.

As a matter of interest, the sat nav that we hired from Hertz in Christchurch, 'NeverLost', did exactly what it said on the box. Not a tremendously sophisticated piece of equipment but it got us everywhere we wanted to go. Recommend it unless you like the excitement of the unknown!

Mike Fleming

Hi Mike you beat me to it, not only was the itinerary detailed with approx. times and milages but he took time out giving us a days tour of Christchurch, this was before the "bigun" showing us the damage of the September 'quake.

As a matter of interest we were in Wesport on the west coast of the south island when the "bigun" happened and WE FELT IT, VERY SCARY.

Curly

Thanks to Stantheman and Curly for their comments. I'm glad I was able to help and would be happy to also assist any others planning a trip to these parts, particularly the South Island.

Back to satnavs. As previously mentioned, I've noticed that the Garmin lifetime map updates can be purchased separately from the satnav itself, but I've also seen some satnavs advertised as being supplied with lifetime map updates. Does anyone know if buying the device with lifetime updates apparently built in gives you the same functionality as buying the map update software separately? Brian mentioned Mapsource which sounds very useful but I wonder if you get that if the updates come bundled with the satnav.

Thanks.

Alistair

• 2 weeks later...
To be certain, Alistair, I think you'd need to e-mail Garmin direct. I'm guessing, but would expect the updates to be the same in number and quality however they were bought, since both are sold under the same name (lifetime map updates), and no differentiation is made on their website regarding how the lifetime updates are purchased. However, that's just me trying to be rational! :-)

I tried emailing Garmin, Brian, but they homed in on the fact that I was emailing from NZ and ignored my question by telling me I should buy the device in NZ rather than UK so lifetime updates would apply to NZ maps. I told them that we have so few roads here I don't usually need a satnav, and up-to-date UK/Europe maps were more use - hence my wish to purchase in the UK. No answer.

Anyway, I bit the bullet and purchased a Nuvi 3790LMT from a UK supplier, and it arrived within 5 days. Much cheaper than the 3760 is here (can't get the 3790), and it includes lifetime UK/Europe maps built-in. As we are overseas, VAT was not charged, and postage to NZ was less than VAT so the final price was good. I'm still coming to grips with it but looks good so far, and the initial updating has gone well. Having lifetime maps built in didn't give me MapSource and when I tried to download it, the Garmin site said I needed an existing version. A Google search found instructions for obtaining it other ways and that worked. However, I haven't looked yet to see if I can load the in-built UK/Europe maps into MapSource. Using a link given by Tony earlier in this thread got me free NZ maps and POIs that seem to work, although I've yet to try them on the road. The download for them loaded them straight into MapSource so easy to put them into the device. I obviously did something strange as they're in there twice when I look at MyMaps. I haven't yet worked out how to delete one copy but I resume it's possible.

The next step is to try some custom POIs for aires sent by Way2go, and site POIs from the Caravan Club.

Thanks again for all the advice - it's been very helpful.

Alistair

Archived