Is it worth the bother?

vindiboy

I have noticed lately that people are asking for information etc. on Forums, others are taking time to reply and add comments,but often the original poster doesn't even bother to acknowledge or thank them, not looking for accolades but surely a simple thank you is not too much to ask ??? 8-) 8-) 8-)

Well,it may be that they just forget that they've asked it?..I know I've done that before now(..asking something on several forums,them forgetting which ones.. :$ )

But I think in some cases it may be that any decent answers tend get lost in all the off topic replies.

The likes of...

A- All the childish(testosterone fueled?) bickering that goes on(..."I've driven bigger lorries than you blah blah"...)

B- They grow tired of being ridiculed for asking a daft question...

C- They get offended when mocked for buying a useless product in the first...

Delete as applicable ;-)

What you've got to remember is that a forum is a bit like a conversation in a pub ... if you were sittig chatting to some mates and someone asked about sites, if you don't use them you'd say so .... :-S

What does get a bit tiresome is when someone asks for help but doesn't give enough info for us to be able to answer ... and we then have to ask questions of them to be able to help them. *-)

sometimes / often - the subject box gives the question in such a general way that I can't be bothered to check out the rest of the post,

things like

help wanted or any good sites

I know the box isn't that big but surely it should be possible to narrow down the query properly, that way if you have no useful info to add - you need not open the thread

but - I agree there are too many oiks out there looking for a rumble

perhaps we could have a marker on the individual responses that highlight whether we're actually adding any value to the thread or just enjoying a natter >:-)

Mel B - 2011-03-31 5:35 PM

What you've got to remember is that a forum is a bit like a conversation in a pub ... if you were sittig chatting to some mates and someone asked about sites, if you don't use them you'd say so .... :-S

What does get a bit tiresome is when someone asks for help but doesn't give enough info for us to be able to answer ... and we then have to ask questions of them to be able to help them. *-)

The posters start with a question, which then slowly develops into a conversation.

It would still be useful if they got answers to their specific questions somewhere within all the chat.

I get the impression, from personal experience, that some people try to be helpful but don't always take the time to read the question properly.

;-)

One forum I used to frequent (not Motorhome related) had a "Thanks" button at the side of the "Submit" button. This sent a notification to the "thanked" responder to advise who had thank him.

So Users built up No. of Posts & also No. of Thanks.

Seemed to work well, but I guess it would require a big revamp to the Forum format to incorporate.

Guest peter
It is a bit annoying when someone asks a question and loads of people reply, but the O/P never returns to the thread. It does make you wonder why you bothered to type a reply. Which can sometimes, particularly from Brian total many dozens of lines of type and take a fair while.

peter - 2011-03-31 10:42 PM

...Which can sometimes, particularly from Brian total many dozens of lines of type and take a fair while.

Or in the case of some contributors..loads of copy'n'pastin'... ;-)

In answer to the OP,as long as the response is helpful and not just to make the responder sound "clever",then yes! :-)

Archived