motorhome tv

nasher

We use a 'domestic' 22" LCD from Tesco, a Technika I think. It has both Freeview and Analog tuners (although we connect our Sky+ HD box) and a DVD player which is useful.

We wanted a larger set as it it sited amidships in our Bolero 680FB and a smaller screen would be too small (for us) when viewing from the cab seats.

We use a 3-arm bracket which extends sufficiently to allow us to view from the front and to swivel when watching in bed.

Great value, great picture (especially in HD) and about half the price of an Avtex in a smaller size.

Chris.

I know that Avtex tv's are expensive, but after trying a couple of cheaper types over the years we have finally 'bit the bullet' and bought one. The differance is amazing. It's all about 'viewing angle' the avtex can still be watched when almost sitting parallel to the screen, very good definition even when sitting close to the set.

So, I would suggest before spending your money, see a set working then change your viewing posistion several times, get up really close and make sure you can still watch it.

I must admit we mainly watch DVD's on ours, but it does that well too.

Even American ones that my son sends me,so, it must be 'Multi-region' .

I personally wouldn't buy a DVD player that wasn't 'Multi-region', if some one has paid for a DVD, why shouldn't you be able to watch it ? no matter where it was bought from ? (small rant !). Ray

99.9% of the time the TV is watched by only the two of us, either from the cab seats or in bed where the screen is placed perpendicular to the viewer so there is no need to watch from acute angles.

RE: the previous post, I suggest you examine your actual viewing positions before parting with (what i would consider) megabucks for a TV you can watch from a position that you will never occupy.

Chris.

Guest pelmetman

Morrisons recently had a cheap tv £99 with built in freeview, DVD, and other stuff I dont have a clue about :D ...........Sound is ok by my standards, which being a bit deaf means I can turn it up loud enough for the neighbours to enjoy :D

Oh... nearly forgot it has a 2 or 3 year warranty, cant remember which

:-S

Just a point to be aware of;-

There was a recent threat berating the sound quality of newest "slimline" or "ultra-slim" models.

This is not particularly specific to any TV manufacturer or Motorhome models, but ALL the slimline or ultra-thin style.

It's due to the size (depth) of Speakers that will fit in the casing.

So if sound quality is important to you, check it out before buying.

Well thanks to all the replies, as flicka said about sound quality, we have an ancient panasonic txg10 and the sound, particularly if turned up, is really tinny. I have seen a 9inch portable tv with 12volt battery, and 240volt adaptor for£150. Think i might need new glasses to watch that.

Hi Nasher

£159 for a 9" TV sounds expensive. They are available for around £100.

If looking for something with a larger screen (+ built in DVD player) have a look here:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=12v+television&tag=googhydr-21&index=electronics&hvadid=7982452846&ref=pd_sl_9qpweerk0d_b

http://www.tv-village.net/16-led-tv-with-dvd-and-dc-adaptor-p-65.html

also has a built-in power regulator.

Hi,

We bought a Tv from netto..it is not 12v ..but was cheap.

£129 gives us a 15" widescreen Tv with built in Freeview and DVD player.If we sit at an angle the picture becomes harder to see..but we are in a van..and sit in front[or near on].The picture..if we sit at a reasonable angle is superb.[better than our home Sony]

Netto currently have a 15" LG..£129..and a DGM[?] 22" with all built in..for £169..whilst the most widely promoted tvs..for motorhomes boast great advantages,,do you really need all they offer..for the prices they ask

We have a 19" HD Ready Samsung and we take our Sky+HD box from home with us.

During the day and when travelling, we put them on the fixed bed, as it gives them a 'softer' journey than in the TV cabinet.

We always put the TV on the dining table, with its back to the window. I have permanently installed a 5m HDMI cable which runs from the dining table to the TV cabinet where we put the Sky box.

The viewing position of the TV cabinet is not very good, whereas we can sit perfectly square and the TV is at eye-level when it's on the table.

Guest pelmetman
pelmetman - 2011-04-01 3:49 PM

Morrisons recently had a cheap tv £99 with built in freeview, DVD, and other stuff I dont have a clue about :D ...........Sound is ok by my standards, which being a bit deaf means I can turn it up loud enough for the neighbours to enjoy :D

Oh... nearly forgot it has a 2 or 3 year warranty, cant remember which

:-S

Also forgot it will work on 12v although you need to find a suitable lead ;-)

Hi Nasher,

The Morrisons tv mentioned in an earlier posting is a Techwood 16 inch l.e.d/

built in dvd/ works on 12 volt as well and carries a 2 yr warranty.

Not bad for £100. Incidentally, not sure of exact weight but they do feel light, only trid dvd up to now having bought 2 sets but the picture was fine and sound fine.

derek

Just a thought but I think the difference in power usage for a large TV to a small one is quite significant. We have two TV's, a standard flat screen 17" which we only use on hookup and a flip top 10" which can be run off its own battery or via the vans 12v system. It hardly uses any power wheras the bigger ones (especially the cheap ones) do. Not a problem if your on hookup a lot but we frequently wild camp or use CL sites for maybe a week without hookup so it makes a big difference.

Archived