Front Fog Light Switch - SEVEL 2005

vanblanc

Has anyone ever fitted a front fog light switch to a 2002-2006 Sevel based motorhome (Citroen, Peugeot or Fiat). On the dash there is a rear fog light switch, 4 way flashers, ASR if fitted, mirror demisters maybe and a blank for the front fog lights. The wiring for the front fogs is within the loom and is complete and connected to the dash. Behind the blanker there is a micro switch and warning light (front fog lights on) and all this works fine. My problem is the actual switch or "button". Can this purchased be purchased separately to replace the blanker or is there an adaptor or what. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. I have spoke with Citroen UK plus various dealers and they are no help whatsoever and just want to sell me a new bank of switches! Any advice please

Phil I have fitted foglights in the front bumper the wiring loom is there I called at a van scrap yard and rescued the rear fog light switch and used that for the front fog light switch

Alf

I had a quick look on the ePer system available on the Fiat forum.

It gives the parts breakdown diagrams, and is admittedly sometimes a bit difficult to decipher for an occasional user.

If I am interpreting properly, however, it would appear that the switch bank is available as 9 different part numbers, covering each of the different combinations of switches which might be installed.

i.e. it would appear to me that the individual switches are not available, but you would have to order the part number which covers the combination of your existing switches AND the new one you require. This would be consistent with the stance you are getting from dealers.

I'm not pleading this is a definitive answer, but it is what it looks like.

Yes i've done it before and you can't buy the switches seperate. They come as part of the control unit and cost around £110+vat from Peugeot(Fiat might be cheaper). Make sure you get the right one though, as lots of circuits are controlled by it, ABS, electric windows etc.

Only good thing is that you only need to connect it and the fogs will work straight away.

Matt

OK dokyy, just taken a look at mine. Dead easy. It is not the retaining tags you cut of but a few flanges which stop the cover being pressed in.

There are bosses for mounting springs on and with two 2mm dia springs, or maybe springs taken from a retractable ball point pen some springs could be made up. It all looks easy to modify so a complete new switch assembly is not necessary, but a bit of skill with a sharp stanley knife and a small drill.

Drilling a hole for the led is simple as there is an oval shaped moulding as part of the cover to act as a light shield/guide. For a symbol, unless you are good at engraving, you could get an engraver to do it or just make up a printed sticker/label. Or indeed use a small fine modelling brush to paint a symbol or indeed not bother.

Jon.

Brambles - 2011-04-02 8:05 PM

OK dokyy, just taken a look at mine. Dead easy. It is not the retaining tags you cut of but a few flanges which stop the cover being pressed in.

There are bosses for mounting springs on and with two 2mm dia springs, or maybe springs taken from a retractable ball point pen some springs could be made up. It all looks easy to modify so a complete new switch assembly is not necessary, but a bit of skill with a sharp stanley knife and a small drill.

Drilling a hole for the led is simple as there is an oval shaped moulding as part of the cover to act as a light shield/guide. For a symbol, unless you are good at engraving, you could get an engraver to do it or just make up a printed sticker/label. Or indeed use a small fine modelling brush to paint a symbol or indeed not bother.

Jon.

Jon or £1.50 for the complete switch from a van scrap yard the only differance is you get another rear fog light switch complete no messing

You could always fit a relay to the existing rear fog lights and only use the front ones when using the rear fog lights.

Hi Again, having looked at the link I gave again and more in detail it certainly looks like the breakers yard route is best. Just been informed by Private message the blank may not have a peg to operate the switch anyway so will need modding. I think mine did as I looked to make sure so maybe there are different varients. What I do not like about modding your own cover is gettin the light feed through to see it at night...much better with proper switch cover/button. But is an option if all else fails until you do get a proper button.

Jon.

Thanks Robinhood, but like I have just added to that post, about a week late and even then they may not fit as it depends on the style of bumper cover you have (thats what thye dealers tell you anyway).

I have just come back from the scrappies and really dissapointed.

The 2 fog light switches/blanks either side of the 4 ways are different in as much as although they look the same shape (no icon on blank) the inside moulding is different so the rear fog switch will not fit the front fog position. This is probably why the dealers are so specific about which part number you order under (about 8 in all). So, having seen one stripped down at the scrappy I have decided to customise the blank moulding using the biro spring method already explained in the link in the posting above. Hope to be finished in time for the Peterborough show!! :-S

My van is a 2006 boxer when I fitted fog lights I found both switch positions each side of the red hazard switch to be identical as it is I have a rear fog light swich each dide one is the front driving lamps the original the rear fog light the outer swich blanks are shaped so not reversable is van tha last facelift before the X250 mine is

Alf

Vanblanc here is a photo of the switches in my 2006 Boxer the switch fronts each side of the Hazard switch are both rear foglight fronts one for the rear fog lights and one for the front driving lights

Alf

For the record our Citroen switches are not the same. Each one of the five are slightly different, if not on the ouitside then on the inside of the moulding/blank/switch.

So the answer (and again this is for an early 2006 Citroen Jumper (LHD)) is that the rear fog light switch found in most scrap yards including mine will not fit.

The good news is that it is very easy to adapt the blank that is fitted to the front switch (left of the 4 ways in my case). There are four lugs, one on each corner (NOT the 3 little clip bits that hold it in) and these act as stoppers. Remove these with a sharp knife and the blanker will now work as a switch. However you now need (for MOT) to be able to see the "on" warning light and the now "switch" should illuminate at night. How you go about this is your choice but I followed directions from another site and it worked perfectly and am more than happy with the outcome and it cost diddly!

So thanks again for all the suggestions and advice and if anyone wants to know anything else about this please pm me. :-D

Archived